PDA

View Full Version : Best true ghost town

Ghosttowns.com
05-12-1998, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Rob Newquist

: I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

Ghosttowns.com
05-12-1998, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by WHAT????

: : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

Ghosttowns.com
05-13-1998, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Rob Newquist

:
: : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

: Thats why I said "other than Bodie". Many people consider it a "true" ghost town because there are no actual residents other than park Rangers. I consider it one of the"best" ghost towns, but not a "true" ghost town. I wouldn't say it is "like Disneyland" though. BTW someone actually submitted the Ca towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City as ghost towns. They are nothing but. They are thriving, growing cities.

Ghosttowns.com
05-14-1998, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Daniel Ter-Nedden

: :
: : : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : : If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

: : Thats why I said "other than Bodie". Many people consider it a "true" ghost town because there are no actual residents other than park Rangers. I consider it one of the"best" ghost towns, but not a "true" ghost town. I wouldn't say it is "like Disneyland" though. BTW someone actually submitted the Ca towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City as ghost towns. They are nothing but. They are thriving, growing cities.

: What about Rhyolite, Nevada. There are not so many buildings standing but it is more or less untouched.
: I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

Ghosttowns.com
05-15-1998, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Todd Underwood

: : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: Unfortunately most "true" ghost towns are only "true" because they are hard to get to and not a lot of people know about them. In the interst of keeping them that way we at ghosttowns.com dont give explicit directions on the web site, but, if you are interested in better directions, feel free to email us. Tip Top, Swansea, Harqua Hala are some examples of true ghosts that are still pretty interesting in Arizona. There are many more but there is not a lot left at most of them. Then there are the towns that still have a few residents, and I really mean a few, but are very well preserved like Cleator or Paradise AZ. Hope this helps.

Ghosttowns.com
06-07-1998, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Harvey

: Rath City is completely deserted. In fact, the only thing that is left of it a rock pile left from one of the store buildings foundation and a gravesite with two graves. It is part of a wheat field in Stonewall county, TX.

: The only time that any one is allowed access to it is during the "Back to Rath's Trail" event which is held on the first Saturday or full weekend in June each year.

Ghosttowns.com
06-07-1998, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Richard Elliott

:
: : :
: : : : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : : : If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

: : : Thats why I said "other than Bodie". Many people consider it a "true" ghost town because there are no actual residents other than park Rangers. I consider it one of the"best" ghost towns, but not a "true" ghost town. I wouldn't say it is "like Disneyland" though. BTW someone actually submitted the Ca towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City as ghost towns. They are nothing but. They are thriving, growing cities.

: : What about Rhyolite, Nevada. There are not so many buildings standing but it is more or less untouched.
: : I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: : By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: What about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA. I loved it!!! Eventhough now it is operated as a type of bed and breakfast--the buildings are original and in really great condition and the history of the place is great!! I tried to reach Beveridge, CA twice and coming in fromthe western side of the Inyo mts. I could never get over the pass at Keynote Pk. I've been told it is best to hike in from the eastern side. Anyone know if that is true or can anyone help me know more about Beveridge. Also heard that some firm was allowed to go in by helicopter and they removed the old piano, and many other thigns in town. Are the building still standing?
: : http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

Ghosttowns.com
06-07-1998, 09:44 PM

:
: : : : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : : : If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

: : : Thats why I said "other than Bodie". Many people consider it a "true" ghost town because there are no actual residents other than park Rangers. I consider it one of the"best" ghost towns, but not a "true" ghost town. I wouldn't say it is "like Disneyland" though. BTW someone actually submitted the Ca towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City as ghost towns. They are nothing but. They are thriving, growing cities.

: : What about Rhyolite, Nevada. There are not so many buildings standing but it is more or less untouched.
: : I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: : By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: What about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA. I loved it!!! Eventhough now it is operated as a type of bed and breakfast--the buildings are original and in really great condition and the history of the place is great!! I tried to reach Beveridge, CA twice and coming in fromthe western side of the Inyo mts. I could never get over the pass at Keynote Pk. I've been told it is best to hike in from the eastern side. Anyone know if that is true or can anyone help me know more about Beveridge. Also heard that some firm was allowed to go in by helicopter and they removed the old piano, and many other thigns in town. Are the building still standing? e-mail me at FCDOBBS49@aol.com Thanks
: : http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

Ghosttowns.com
06-07-1998, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by George Eldridge

:
: : : I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: : : By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: : What about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA. I loved it!!! Eventhough now it is operated as a type of bed and breakfast--the buildings are original and in really great condition and the history of the place is great!! I tried to reach Beveridge, CA twice and coming in fromthe western side of the Inyo mts. I could never get over the pass at Keynote Pk. I've been told it is best to hike in from the eastern side. Anyone know if that is true or can anyone help me know more about Beveridge. Also heard that some firm was allowed to go in by helicopter and they removed the old piano, and many other thigns in town. Are the building still standing?
: : : http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

: Beveridge can be reached by hiking five miles up Beveridge Canyon which is approachable up an alluvial fan (with dirt road) on the Western side of the Inyo Mts. near Lone Pine.
: It is about a five-mile hike up a dry wash. It is recommended to not go alone as this is NOT a populated area and not that many hike into Beveridge which is why it is interesting.
: Also, be sure to take plenty of water for the hike in. There is a spring there that is good, clean water and you can fill up for the return.
: There are a great many mines in this area so be careful walking around.

Ghosttowns.com
06-10-1998, 11:53 PM

:
: : : : I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: : : : By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: : : What about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA. I loved it!!! Eventhough now it is operated as a type of bed and breakfast--the buildings are original and in really great condition and the history of the place is great!! I tried to reach Beveridge, CA twice and coming in fromthe western side of the Inyo mts. I could never get over the pass at Keynote Pk. I've been told it is best to hike in from the eastern side. Anyone know if that is true or can anyone help me know more about Beveridge. Also heard that some firm was allowed to go in by helicopter and they removed the old piano, and many other thigns in town. Are the building still standing?
: : : : http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

: : Beveridge can be reached by hiking five miles up Beveridge Canyon which is approachable up an alluvial fan (with dirt road) on the Western side of the Inyo Mts. near Lone Pine.
: : It is about a five-mile hike up a dry wash. It is recommended to not go alone as this is NOT a populated area and not that many hike into Beveridge which is why it is interesting.
: : Also, be sure to take plenty of water for the hike in. There is a spring there that is good, clean water and you can fill up for the return.
: : There are a great many mines in this area so be careful walking around.

:
: Beveridge: Tried twice to get there. At French Spring I could not find a way straight up the canyon, and followed the barely visible mule trail leading north and away from the spring, meandering aroudn the rolling hills, saw a line of rock markers serving as boundary markers it seemed, and then through a small narrow canyon with cave-like opening along the lower edge, but could not go further due to lack of water and partner getting sick. We were in the large canyon bowl below Keynote Pk. and not quite to the saddle that would lead over the southern edge of the peak. I've been told Beveridge is about two-miles from the top of the saddle of Keynot Pk. I was also told by BLM person that one would have to "hack" their way through large rose bushes to get there, too. Can one hike straight up the canyon from French Spring, or was I going the right way by heading north and coming around and dropping down into the narrows above French Spring? Thanks to everyone! I want to try this next yr.

Ghosttowns.com
06-25-1998, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Nikki

:

: Famagusta in cyprus is breathtaking and the sight makes you want to cry. I was there on holiday a few days ago and it was heart renching. When the turks invaded south cyprus in 1974, the captured the town of famagusta which at the time was the only., and largest tourist resort in cyprus. Everybody was thrown out of their homes and made to leave and the town stands empty but the same as it was 24 years ago. There are no windows or doors but the rest is the same. The U.N guards surround it, and when a greek resident crossed the green line recently, to protest their rights, he was immediately shot dead. Ayia Napa took over as the tourist resort, and the names of hotels are the same as in famagusta, because the goverment paid the residents to rebuild their hotels elsewhere. Famagusta is a real live ghost town, and well worth a look from the distance of a guide boat.

Ghosttowns.com
07-05-1998, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by LAUREN

:
: : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : Unfortunately most "true" ghost towns are only "true" because they are hard to get to and not a lot of people know about them. In the interst of keeping them that way we at ghosttowns.com dont give explicit directions on the web site, but, if you are interested in better directions, feel free to email us. Tip Top, Swansea, Harqua Hala are some examples of true ghosts that are still pretty interesting in Arizona. There are many more but there is not a lot left at most of them. Then there are the towns that still have a few residents, and I really mean a few, but are very well preserved like Cleator or Paradise AZ. Hope this helps.

: I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HAUNTED PLACES IN OHIO!!

: MY BROTHER IS IN THE PI KAPPA ALPHA FRATERNATY AND HE SAYS HIS FRAT HOUSE IS HAUNTED!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH FURTER DIRECTIONS !! THANX A BUNCH!!

: LAUREN

Ghosttowns.com
07-20-1998, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Richie Miranda

: : : :
: : : : : : I am curious as to what others consider the best true ghost town they have been to(other than Bodie). By "true" I mean completely deserted.

: : : : : If you consider a true ghost town totally deserted, how can you possibly even consider Bodie?? It's like disneyland! - the rangers actually live there.

: : : : Thats why I said "other than Bodie". Many people consider it a "true" ghost town because there are no actual residents other than park Rangers. I consider it one of the"best" ghost towns, but not a "true" ghost town. I wouldn't say it is "like Disneyland" though. BTW someone actually submitted the Ca towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City as ghost towns. They are nothing but. They are thriving, growing cities.

: : : What about Rhyolite, Nevada. There are not so many buildings standing but it is more or less untouched.
: : : I am also very interested in visiting Beveridge, CA ('camp of many legends'). But I don't know if I would hike all day long to get there.
: : : By the way, why don't you pay a visit to the only European ghost town site?

: : What about Cerro Gordo, near Keeler, CA. I loved it!!! Eventhough now it is operated as a type of bed and breakfast--the buildings are original and in really great condition and the history of the place is great!! I tried to reach Beveridge, CA twice and coming in fromthe western side of the Inyo mts. I could never get over the pass at Keynote Pk. I've been told it is best to hike in from the eastern side. Anyone know if that is true or can anyone help me know more about Beveridge. Also heard that some firm was allowed to go in by helicopter and they removed the old piano, and many other thigns in town. Are the building still standing?
: : : http://www.datacomm.ch/dternedden/ghosttowns/

Ghosttowns.com
07-20-1998, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Richie Miranda

: I was in the Crooked River area last summer, I was looking foward to going to finding and going to Grandveiw, but I was unable to find it do to lack of info. I had found it in a Ghost town book that I have, it gives incomplete directions. I asked around the area but no one had ever heard of it so I didn't proceed any further. I'll try a gain sometime. Next time I will go to Geneva, which is a very small town located 2 milws south of grandveiw; if I can make there then I can probably fid a way to it. The reason that I want to submit this sight is that I'm just thinking that if no ones ever heard of it and it's so remote then it must be a true Ghost Town.

: Directions (according to A Guid To Western Ghost Towns)-"Until the building of Round Butte Dam, route led west from Culver across tremendous canyon of Crooked River, snaking down to stream, then up nearly immpassable road on other side. About two miles west of rim on nearly level plateau of Grandveiw (Note:That this was before the dam was built). Canyon is now filled by pool above the dam. Rough gravel roads give access from Camp Polk, Sisters an d other east side points, these may be passable by 4-wheel drive rigs, at least as far as Geneva, about 2 miles south of Grandveiw. Check locally.

: Several scattered frame buildings,two schools, one seemed to have doubled as a church. Tiny structure once used as a mail station is almost overpowered by a huge juniper tree. Tiny cemetary contains about 20 graves."

Ghosttowns.com
09-12-1998, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Bob Stelow

:

: Even tho no one will probably see this, I must
: comment on "WHATs" lame remarks regarding
: Bodie. The resident rangers are only there to
: protect against vandalism, and yes, I still con-
: sider this a very good "true ghost", regardless
: of the rangers. I've been there 3 times, & have
: no idea what his/her reference to "Disneyland"
: meant, and doubt seriously if he/she does
: either. This individual is probably a spoiled brat
: that was doing something wrong, & was thrown
: out of Bodie permanently, thank you.
: Bodie has several bulidings standing in a state
: of "arrested decay", and is well worth visiting.
: Afterwards, make up your own mind as to it being a "true ghost". Geez, what a yutz.
: Bob Stelow

Ghosttowns.com
09-14-1998, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by G.A.R. Figuer

:
: Therez No **** in Ghost Alive Only White People Belive in Dat , if U Don't So mail me !!!

Ghosttowns.com
01-24-1999, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Robert

: Actually, the vast majority of people in Africa and the Caribian believe spirits of the dead are amongst the living. The native people of nearly every part of the world tend to believe that. People of Anglo decent are probably least likely to believe such things. This is not to say that they are wrong or right, just further removed from the experiences that lead to such thoughts and beliefs. G.A.R.Fuguer, you might want to look further into your heritage, and know facts, before you make such angry comments. You may even find there a great deal to be proud of, and worth knowing.

Ghosttowns.com
10-06-1999, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Erica Odle

: I do believe in ghosts. I'm afraid of seeing them though. I've looked for research to prove that they aare fake, but I find nothing. I have to do a report in school saying that ghosts are not real and try to find info on it. As I said, I can't find any info saying ghosts aren't real. Do you know of any?????

Ghosttowns.com
01-05-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by jamie lee watson

: : Famagusta in cyprus is breathtaking and the sight makes you want to cry. I was there on holiday a few days ago and it was heart renching. When the turks invaded south cyprus in 1974, the captured the town of famagusta which at the time was the only., and largest tourist resort in cyprus. Everybody was thrown out of their homes and made to leave and the town stands empty but the same as it was 24 years ago. There are no windows or doors but the rest is the same. The U.N guards surround it, and when a greek resident crossed the green line recently, to protest their rights, he was immediately shot dead. Ayia Napa took over as the tourist resort, and the names of hotels are the same as in famagusta, because the goverment paid the residents to rebuild their hotels elsewhere. Famagusta is a real live ghost town, and well worth a look from the distance of a guide boat.

Ghosttowns.com
01-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by jamie lee watson

: : : :I havent been to cyprus yet but i will be diong in July with my familly. My aunty has been to Cyprus a few years ago and they said that it is lovely and really worth seeing. They said that Famagusta is also a lovely place but it is sad to see what has happened to the people who had to leave their homes, and just looking at the place makes you want to cry. I would love to see real photos of famagusta to see for myself what the island is like.

Ghosttowns.com
06-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Michele Walker

: I agree... Famagusta has not just an upsetting but interesting story but it is amazing to see a huge town completely deserted.