PDA

View Full Version : 5 Ghosttowns in 5 Days...Memorial Day 2000

Ghosttowns.com
05-31-2000, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Texas Jess and myself hit 5 ghosttowns from May 25-29th

: May 25: Made the drive from No. Cal. and Camped at Calico.

: May 26: Calico...were overwhelmed by all the tourists but managed to get some history from the docents when the tourists left. Camped at Calico again!!!

: May 27: Ballarat and Panamint City...Left Calico at 3:30 AM for Ballarat. Hiked Surprise Canyon in 3 hours(cheated death w/a rattle snake), fought heat delirium, loved Panamint(had the whole canyon and town to ourselves), made hike down w/stop to cool off in falls in 2 and 1/2 hours. 109 degrees in Ballarat; Met George Novak at Ballarat General Store(Said we was generous boys for leaving 3-12 packs w/Rocky to watch Jess's truck!!! Made drive to Bridgeport..ate at Bridgeport Inn!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple!!!

: May 28: Aurora and Bodie...Breakfast at Hays Street Cafe. Made climb to Aurora in Jess's truck. Checked out St. John's Cemetary. We're in awe of the size of the town and wishful they had left up the buildings!!! Went to Bodie...packed w/people!!! Visited our favorite local haunts...took Old Road 169 back. Ate at Bridgeport Inn again!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple again!!!

: May 29: Headed Home...one last breakfast at Hays Street Cafe and headed back to Bay Area!!!

Ghosttowns.com
05-31-2000, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by texas jess...

: : Texas Jess and myself hit 5 ghosttowns from May 25-29th

: : May 25: Made the drive from No. Cal. and Camped at Calico.

: : May 26: Calico...were overwhelmed by all the tourists but managed to get some history from the docents when the tourists left. Camped at Calico again!!!

: : May 27: Ballarat and Panamint City...Left Calico at 3:30 AM for Ballarat. Hiked Surprise Canyon in 3 hours(cheated death w/a rattle snake), fought heat delirium, loved Panamint(had the whole canyon and town to ourselves), made hike down w/stop to cool off in falls in 2 and 1/2 hours. 109 degrees in Ballarat; Met George Novak at Ballarat General Store(Said we was generous boys for leaving 3-12 packs w/Rocky to watch Jess's truck!!! Made drive to Bridgeport..ate at Bridgeport Inn!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple!!!

: : May 28: Aurora and Bodie...Breakfast at Hays Street Cafe. Made climb to Aurora in Jess's truck. Checked out St. John's Cemetary. We're in awe of the size of the town and wishful they had left up the buildings!!! Went to Bodie...packed w/people!!! Visited our favorite local haunts...took Old Road 169 back. Ate at Bridgeport Inn again!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple again!!!

: : May 29: Headed Home...one last breakfast at Hays Street Cafe and headed back to Bay Area!!!

: """well, there isn't really too much more that i can say that coach bodie hasn't already covered. i think this is one of our best ghosttown trips ever. calico was cool--even with the bus loads of tourists and school kids.the hike to panamint was tough. we did it, though and not too mayny people can say that they have done it. if any of you do plan to hike, look out for a red rattlesnake about 3 foot long waiting in the middle of the trail about 1 or 2 miles from the smelter stack.

: george novak is a cool guy. i think we made his day...no, his year with the amount of beer that coach and i brought up for him as payment for watching my truck. what a life.

: aurora was sort of hard to find. i did get some 4wheeling in, though. (coach didn't want me to winch my truck up surprise canyon. maybe next year with my jeep.) it sure is too bad that all the buildings are gone. the pictures of this town were incredible. all that brick.

: bodie, as always, was the gem. has someone been telling everyone about this place or what???!!! talk about wall-to-wall tourists! i guess that i can't be selfish.

: coach, thanks again for the great time. we sure earned our fun this weekend, huh?

: tj.

Ghosttowns.com
05-31-2000, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by texas jess...

: : : Texas Jess and myself hit 5 ghosttowns from May 25-29th

: : : May 25: Made the drive from No. Cal. and Camped at Calico.

: : : May 26: Calico...were overwhelmed by all the tourists but managed to get some history from the docents when the tourists left. Camped at Calico again!!!

: : : May 27: Ballarat and Panamint City...Left Calico at 3:30 AM for Ballarat. Hiked Surprise Canyon in 3 hours(cheated death w/a rattle snake), fought heat delirium, loved Panamint(had the whole canyon and town to ourselves), made hike down w/stop to cool off in falls in 2 and 1/2 hours. 109 degrees in Ballarat; Met George Novak at Ballarat General Store(Said we was generous boys for leaving 3-12 packs w/Rocky to watch Jess's truck!!! Made drive to Bridgeport..ate at Bridgeport Inn!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple!!!

: : : May 28: Aurora and Bodie...Breakfast at Hays Street Cafe. Made climb to Aurora in Jess's truck. Checked out St. John's Cemetary. We're in awe of the size of the town and wishful they had left up the buildings!!! Went to Bodie...packed w/people!!! Visited our favorite local haunts...took Old Road 169 back. Ate at Bridgeport Inn again!!! Stayed at the Silver Maple again!!!

: : : May 29: Headed Home...one last breakfast at Hays Street Cafe and headed back to Bay Area!!!

: : """well, there isn't really too much more that i can say that coach bodie hasn't already covered. i think this is one of our best ghosttown trips ever. calico was cool--even with the bus loads of tourists and school kids.the hike to panamint was tough. we did it, though and not too many people can say that they have done it. if any of you do plan to hike, look out for a red rattlesnake about 3 foot long waiting in the middle of the trail about 1 or 2 miles from the smelter stack.

: : george novak is a cool guy. i think we made his day...no, his year with the amount of beer that coach and i brought up for him as payment for watching my truck. what a life he has.

: : aurora was sort of hard to find. i did get some 4wheeling in, though. (coach didn't want me to winch my truck up surprise canyon. maybe next year with my jeep.) it sure is too bad that all the buildings are gone. the pictures of this town were incredible. all that brick.

: : bodie, as always, was the gem. has someone been telling everyone about this place or what???!!! talk about wall-to-wall tourists! i guess that i can't be selfish as i am one myself!!!

: : coach, thanks again for the great time. we sure earned our fun this weekend, huh?

: : tj.

Ghosttowns.com
06-05-2000, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Lynda

: WHEN YOU LEFT JESS'S TRUCK IN BALLARAT DID YOU

: HIKE TO SURPRISE CANYON FROM BALLARAT.ISN'T

: THAT A LOT OF EXTRA HOOFING? DID YOU HITCHHIKE?

: CAN'T THOSE GUYS WHO LIVE AT THE PLACE WHERE

: SURPRISE CANYON BECOMES PROBLEMATICAL BE TRUSTED

: TO TRUCK SIT AT ANY PRICE?DO THEY STILL LIVE

: THERE?

Ghosttowns.com
06-06-2000, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: We drove from Ballarat to the Novak camp!!! From there we hiked!!! Well...when we returned some 7 1/2 hours later Jess' truck was as good as we left it!!! George Novak was so pleased it was well worth the 3 12 packs of beer!!! Talk about a man who must have seen it all!!!