PDA

View Full Version : Best Ghost Town

Ghosttowns.com
07-29-1998, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr Ore Car

: The key to finding the truly best sites is not by searching the ghost towns, but rather the remote areas where a few mines are located. It takes hard work and research to find the good ones. Try looking south of Lookout near Maturango Peak out in the Panamints or North of Cerro Gordo in the Beveridge District. The Inyo Mountain Wilderness Area East of Lone Pine consists of 54 significant mines and prospects. I've seen ore carts standing alone on their tracks, virtually undisturbed in this region. The real good places I'll continue to keep to myself- but for those enthusiast who are looking for a new spot to explore- try searching the above areas. Good Luck

Ghosttowns.com
08-05-1998, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

:
: : The key to finding the truly best sites is not by searching the ghost towns, but rather the remote areas where a few mines are located. It takes hard work and research to find the good ones. Try looking south of Lookout near Maturango Peak out in the Panamints or North of Cerro Gordo in the Beveridge District. The Inyo Mountain Wilderness Area East of Lone Pine consists of 54 significant mines and prospects. I've seen ore carts standing alone on their tracks, virtually undisturbed in this region. The real good places I'll continue to keep to myself- but for those enthusiast who are looking for a new spot to explore- try searching the above areas. Good Luck

: Hi Mr Ore Car,
: Are these (54) mine sites you are talking about directly east of Chrysopolis and San Carlos?, also I agree with you that some of the most interesting sites are not the ghosttowns, but the lesser known mining camps, although some mining districts like Blind Spring Hill near Benton, have had every last trace hauled away leaving only the tailings.

Johnnie
12-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr Ore Car

: The key to finding the truly best sites is not by searching the ghost towns, but rather the remote areas where a few mines are located. It takes hard work and research to find the good ones. Try looking south of Lookout near Maturango Peak out in the Panamints or North of Cerro Gordo in the Beveridge District. The Inyo Mountain Wilderness Area East of Lone Pine consists of 54 significant mines and prospects. I've seen ore carts standing alone on their tracks, virtually undisturbed in this region. The real good places I'll continue to keep to myself- but for those enthusiast who are looking for a new spot to explore- try searching the above areas. Good Luck

we agree with Lewis, The Town sites that he listed are some of the best. but the roads are very bumpy, or are off limits for one reason or another.:cool:
J & S

GaryB
12-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I mentioned this today to my friends (from my 4X club) who tagged along with me Christmas Tree hunting. We went to some mines I had never been to, yet knew how to get to and got some real good treats. Like I explained to them, the small out fit mines I like best, as you get see more remains since they rarely dismantled much to move to another site like most big, famous GT's did. Plus many of these mines are at the end of rough nasty roads that keep 80% of the jerk offs out, or out of sight of those that are too lazy to get out of their vehicle and see just what's over the next ridge.

I'm not one to pass up seeing town ruins like Metropolis or Rhyolite, but I'll trade 3 of those to see just one mine camp like Sprucemont, Sylvania, Oro Plata or even a little old homestead like Joseco :D

My wife thinks I'm the biggest goober when I get all excited seeing an old ore chute or ore car rails :o