PDA

View Full Version : RE:Gilman, Co.

Ghosttowns.com
06-30-2000, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Moffatt

: The residents of this company mining town were forced to abandon the area after an arsenic mining pollutant contaminated their water supply. The EPA ordered this "evacuation" from the town in 1968. Gilman is considered to be one the newest ghost towns in America.

: Strangely, a 175 acre site, which includes the town is currently for sale for only $1! The only stipulation is that the buyer pay $60 million dollars for the cleanup of the area. Universal Studios currently sub-leases the land and town site from the US Government, so they are able to film movies at this beautiful area.

Ghosttowns.com
08-22-2000, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by J.Mignone

: : The residents of this company mining town were forced to abandon the area after an arsenic mining pollutant contaminated their water supply. The EPA ordered this "evacuation" from the town in 1968. Gilman is considered to be one the newest ghost towns in America.

: : Strangely, a 175 acre site, which includes the town is currently for sale for only $1! The only stipulation is that the buyer pay $60 million dollars for the cleanup of the area. Universal Studios currently sub-leases the land and town site from the US Government, so they are able to film movies at this beautiful area.

: Where in the **** did you get the idea that the town was forced to evacuate by the EPA??? I and my parents lived there until they retired and moved away in the 70's. The mine only closed because the ore 'ran out', not because the EPA closed us. In fact the ore that was left could not longer be economically mined. The legacy left behind by "Eagle Mines" is obvious.

: This mining camp ooperated for almost a hundred years, there are still plenty of us residents out here. We're not ghosts but very much alive. Regards ghost hunters.