PDA

View Full Version : More on beveridge ghost camp

Ghosttowns.com
08-14-1998, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: I just realized that a few people replied to my post of a few months ago regarding the ghost camp of Beveridge, Ca I didn't realize that some replies do not show up on the main discussion page.
: I found an interesting web site by a guy who hiked to Beveridge. His page is called Starbucks Hiking.
: the address is http://home.earthlink.net/-gstarbuck/beveridge.html
: BTW I read where some Navy guys came in by helicopter a few years ago and carted out a piano....

Ghosttowns.com
08-15-1998, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : I just realized that a few people replied to my post of a few months ago regarding the ghost camp of Beveridge, Ca I didn't realize that some replies do not show up on the main discussion page.
: : I found an interesting web site by a guy who hiked to Beveridge. His page is called Starbucks Hiking.
: : the address is http://home.earthlink.net/-gstarbuck/beveridge.html
: : BTW I read where some Navy guys came in by helicopter a few years ago and carted out a piano....

: Hi Rob,
: I saw a past treasure hunter magazine artical (with pictures) at a museum in the area, the guy took out a pot belly stove among other relics.
: Beveridge is starting to suffer from vandalism and one of the only ways to help protect it is not to publish the directions to it.
: Roger Mitchell and Russ Leberman who have written many books on ghostowns in the past have tried to protect Beveridge by not publishing the directions to it.
: Roger Mitchell tried to get the BLM to protect the site but they said the site was too remote for them to manage. These articals may be seen at the museum.
: I believe that a past issue of Backpacker magazine published the directions, (how iresponsible).
: I think a person who has to do a little research to find the cool sites will have a little more respect for the site than someone who has the directions handed to them on a silver platter.
: As you know, directions to pictograph sites are no longer published because people carted off the rocks or vandalized the sites. I think our ghosttowns deserve the same protection,
: this is the only way to protect these sites.
: I have seen Starbucks site awhile back and have recently asked him to please remove the directions to this site, I ask others to please do the same.
: Lewis

:
: I am planning to go there in the future, but most likely from the eastern side.

Ghosttowns.com
08-16-1998, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Rob

:
: lewis, i just checked out Starbucks Hiking site again, and he has deleted the directions to Beveridge......

Ghosttowns.com
01-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by OldFrenchy

: :You may be interested to hear that a reward was recently posted for the first person to hike to Beveridge, prove it photos, and post them on the internet. I too am concerned with vandalism, but I think one needs to be a dedicated hiker to reach this site, unless, as the Navy boys did it, you enter by helicopter(!).
: I researched access to Beveridge and found a wealth of detailed information for ways in.
: Starbucks' site is defunct too, by the way.
: If anyone has any information on stories contemporary to Beveridge and its' inhabitants, or a source of history for this camp I would be grateful to know!

: OldFrenchy

:
: : I just realized that a few people replied to my post of a few months ago regarding the ghost camp of Beveridge, Ca I didn't realize that some replies do not show up on the main discussion page.
: : : I found an interesting web site by a guy who hiked to Beveridge. His page is called Starbucks Hiking.
: : : the address is http://home.earthlink.net/-gstarbuck/beveridge.html
: : : BTW I read where some Navy guys came in by helicopter a few years ago and carted out a piano....

: : Hi Rob,
: : I saw a past treasure hunter magazine artical (with pictures) at a museum in the area, the guy took out a pot belly stove among other relics.
: : Beveridge is starting to suffer from vandalism and one of the only ways to help protect it is not to publish the directions to it.
: : Roger Mitchell and Russ Leberman who have written many books on ghostowns in the past have tried to protect Beveridge by not publishing the directions to it.
: : Roger Mitchell tried to get the BLM to protect the site but they said the site was too remote for them to manage. These articals may be seen at the museum.
: : I believe that a past issue of Backpacker magazine published the directions, (how iresponsible).
: : I think a person who has to do a little research to find the cool sites will have a little more respect for the site than someone who has the directions handed to them on a silver platter.
: : As you know, directions to pictograph sites are no longer published because people carted off the rocks or vandalized the sites. I think our ghosttowns deserve the same protection,
: : this is the only way to protect these sites.
: : I have seen Starbucks site awhile back and have recently asked him to please remove the directions to this site, I ask others to please do the same.
: : Lewis

: :
: : I am planning to go there in the future, but most likely from the eastern side.

Steven Wilson
03-07-2008, 02:13 AM
hi there im try ing to talk about a declared ghost town (East Coulee, AB) but this site isnt leting me even update my personal profile, any advice?