PDA

View Full Version : South West US: Most easily accessable towns

Ghosttowns.com
12-17-2000, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by James Pearson

: I am reasonably new to the extraordinarily fascinatingly interesting "hobby" of ghost towns. Indeed, I am planning to visit South West US next summer, thus probably travelling within Texas, Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

: Anyway, as an 18-year-old student (I will be 19 when I travel), I cannot therefore hire a car. Annoyingly, this puts paid to visiting the more out-of-the-way towns, with poor or severely limited public transportation. As such, I am essentially limited to the more easily accessable locations.

: In short, does anyone know of such locations, and ways of reaching them?

: I would be most grateful for some feedback.

: Many thanks.

Ghosttowns.com
12-17-2000, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : I am reasonably new to the extraordinarily fascinatingly interesting "hobby" of ghost towns. Indeed, I am planning to visit South West US next summer, thus probably travelling within Texas, Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

: : Anyway, as an 18-year-old student (I will be 19 when I travel), I cannot therefore hire a car. Annoyingly, this puts paid to visiting the more out-of-the-way towns, with poor or severely limited public transportation. As such, I am essentially limited to the more easily accessable locations.

: : In short, does anyone know of such locations, and ways of reaching them?

: : I would be most grateful for some feedback.

: : Many thanks.

: Is it just me, or is the 2nd paragraph written in fractured english?

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2000, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by James Pearson

: Hey, what's wrong with my English?!

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2000, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Hey, what's wrong with my English?!

:

: well, I'm not familar with your term "puts paid", unless there's a conclusion to continue the thought, ie, "this puts paid vacations out of reach...." or whatever. Also, unless you're from Europe, we usually don't "hire a car". Over here we just steal (or sometimes rent) cars.

: As for your message, you're apparently looking for ghost towns accessible by metropolitan transit, which means that a ghost town would have to be located inside a city large enough for cross-town busses. Hmmmm, ok..., a bit weird but not impossible. Las Vegas, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Tucson (old Tucson/Studios, Santa Fe, all contain either a tourist ghost, or an historic "old town".

: In fact all, or most of the large cities in the southwest probably have at least one attraction you could visit.

: bb.

:

: