PDA

View Full Version : Where/How to get, to get to ghost towns?

Ghosttowns.com
12-25-2000, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Mikchael Swanson

: I live in Sacramento California and am interested on finding old towns/mines that are easy or hard to get to.

: Directions or vacinity of them would be greatly appreciated.

Ghosttowns.com
12-25-2000, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: You will get much more information if you pick up a map of the area you are interested in. You will also generate much more in the way of responses if you be more specific. Imagine what it would be like if you were in our shoes (computer chairs?) and someone asked you to give detailed information on the tens of thousands of ghost towns and hundreds of thousands, if not millions of mines, there are in this country?

Ghosttowns.com
12-25-2000, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : I live in Sacramento California and am interested on finding old towns/mines that are easy or hard to get to.

: : Directions or vacinity of them would be greatly appreciated.

: David is absolutely correct. But since you live in Sacramento, you should go visit "old town", & Sutter's Fort, RR museum, etc. After you pick up a map of the Mother Lode country, head east over to Placerville on US 50. From there, CA 49 is the old stage coach road that spans the ML country from just northeast of Fresno at the southern end, all the way to Sattley at the jct of CA 49 & 89.

: You can either take the "express" tour in a day or 2, or you can take about a week and do it right. (see cuz there are a bazillion side roads that lead to some pretty interesting places like, (from south to north) Columbia, Copperopolis, Douglas Flat, Murphys, Volcano, Fiddletown, Ione, Georgetown, North Bloomfield, and Johnsville (off of CA 89 north of Downieville). These places are off both sides of CA 49, and are but a few of the many.

: bad bob

:

Ghosttowns.com
12-26-2000, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Good reply, Bob. I suspected the original query wished for only Sacramento area towns.

: It seems that I've been seeing quite a few posts, particularly on the Death Valley and DesertUSA boards asking (sometimes not very respectfully or politely) instant gratification - years of of acquired knowledge and of everything in general and nothing in particular - of ghost town information and directions.

: One recently asked for an entire term paper to be supplied to the individual for handing in the following day, the term paper to be on the geological history of Death Valley!

: So that is why I answered in the manner I did. I suspected the individual was looking for Sacramento area ghosts, but the query was vague in scope. I knew you'd chime in there somewhere and supply some of your vast knowledge of regional and Western ghosts to guide our fellow ghost towner on the right course.