PDA

View Full Version : Cumero Canyon, Three R Canyon and Palmetto Mine, Arizona

matt@expaz
10-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Last September, we took a trip down to Cumero Canyon near the Mexico border. This included side trips up Three R Canyon and to Palmetto Mine. Cumero Canyon itself is an easy 4WD road leading through scenic grasslands and old ranches.

There's a cabin with an old outhouse and some cars along Three R Canyon road. It dead ends at a bunch of mining foundations and private property. Getting to the cabin is slightly more difficult. The trail to the end of the road is very challenging (I had to engage my lockers to get through a boulder strewn wash).

A little farther down the road is the spur trail to Tres de Mayo Well and Palmetto Mine. The area around here was really cool with some nice stonework around the mine and windmill. There was a dog's grave on top of the hill and some more foundations just down the road. The trail was overgrown and a little more difficult than Cumero Canyon.

All and all, a fun trip out exploring. The only downside to this trip was the heat. The weather forecast missed the temperature by about 10 degrees and the rain that was supposed to cool things off didn't start until we hit pavement again.

Here are a few pictures from the trip:

You can see a full trip report with more pictures, maps, GPS coordinates, video, etc at: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/cumerocanyon/cumerocanyon.html

bob3 was bob2
10-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Nice photos Matt, thanks for posting them.

campp
10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks Matt. I love to photograph dead cars. That Buick is awesome. :cool:

Vulture
10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
So much great stuff still to see in Santa Cruz Co. Thanks for the report & pictures.

P S Have you been over the Flux canyon rd? Much fun in the rain.

<

bob3 was bob2
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks Matt. I love to photograph dead cars. That Buick is awesome. :cool:

I agree, the old dead cars are the best.