PDA

View Full Version : Panamint City - Wasn't there a second road to it?

Ghosttowns.com
01-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by George

: I'm interested in checking it out but I don't want to get a super-modified 4WD with winches to get there. I have an older map that says you can access Panamint either through Surprise Canyon *or* Johnson Canyon. Nobody seems to talk about Johnson Canyon anymore. Is it now unpassable (or illegal, too boring, etc..)?

Ghosttowns.com
01-14-2001, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Dezdan

: This would be a question to ask on the Death Valley Message Board.

: http://www.death.valley.national-park.com/wwwboard/deatchat.htm

Ghosttowns.com
01-16-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : I'm interested in checking it out but I don't want to get a super-modified 4WD with winches to get there. I have an older map that says you can access Panamint either through Surprise Canyon *or* Johnson Canyon. Nobody seems to talk about Johnson Canyon anymore. Is it now unpassable (or illegal, too boring, etc..)?

: The only road up is out of Surprise Canyon, we have hiked this twice, its 5.5 miles one way and takes 3-4 hours to hike.

: The trail from Johnson Canyon was never a road.

: It's a trail from the ranch in Johnson Canyon to deliver produce to Panamint City in the 1870's

: My understanding is that this trail is faint, but can still be done, but its a 10 mile hike.

: -Lewis

Ghosttowns.com
01-16-2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Guy

: : : I'm interested in checking it out but I don't want to get a super-modified 4WD with winches to get there. I have an older map that says you can access Panamint either through Surprise Canyon *or* Johnson Canyon. Nobody seems to talk about Johnson Canyon anymore. Is it now unpassable (or illegal, too boring, etc..)?

: : The only road up is out of Surprise Canyon, we have hiked this twice, its 5.5 miles one way and takes 3-4 hours to hike.

: : The trail from Johnson Canyon was never a road.

: : It's a trail from the ranch in Johnson Canyon to deliver produce to Panamint City in the 1870's

: : My understanding is that this trail is faint, but can still be done, but its a 10 mile hike.

: : -Lewis

: Yea... and some people will tell you that you can't drive from Roger's Pass to Arrastre Spring at the top of Pleasant Canyon. Don't let them fool ya. Just because the area is a wilderness and you will have to pay for your truck to be helicoptered out.... Heheh...

: I don't think the park service would smile on anyone trying to use Johnson Canyon and Panamint Pass to get to Panamint City.

: --Guy

Ghosttowns.com
01-20-2001, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bob Starks

: Effective next month, the BLM is closing the trail up through Surprise Canyon. For more info:

: http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=offroadjeepshort&Number=310650&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

: There are more links at the above site

: Bob Starks

: : : : I'm interested in checking it out but I don't want to get a super-modified 4WD with winches to get there. I have an older map that says you can access Panamint either through Surprise Canyon *or* Johnson Canyon. Nobody seems to talk about Johnson Canyon anymore. Is it now unpassable (or illegal, too boring, etc..)?

: : : The only road up is out of Surprise Canyon, we have hiked this twice, its 5.5 miles one way and takes 3-4 hours to hike.

: : : The trail from Johnson Canyon was never a road.

: : : It's a trail from the ranch in Johnson Canyon to deliver produce to Panamint City in the 1870's

: : : My understanding is that this trail is faint, but can still be done, but its a 10 mile hike.

: : : -Lewis

: : Yea... and some people will tell you that you can't drive from Roger's Pass to Arrastre Spring at the top of Pleasant Canyon. Don't let them fool ya. Just because the area is a wilderness and you will have to pay for your truck to be helicoptered out.... Heheh...

: : I don't think the park service would smile on anyone trying to use Johnson Canyon and Panamint Pass to get to Panamint City.

: : --Guy

Ghosttowns.com
02-03-2001, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Cary Nickel

: I made the hike from Johnson Canyon to Panamint City, last April (2000). All I can do is quote one of the statements in the guest book at the cabin in Panamint: "What a trudge!"

: The trail from Johnson Canyon was the route that originated from the "ranch", or orchards, in Johnson Canyon to get fruit and veggies over the mountain to Panamint. According to the Park Service Ranger I spoke with, the produce was carried over on mules while led by the original Johnson or the later "Hungry Bill" on foot. All I know is we lost the trail, if it still exists. and just hiked up the side of the mountain. It took us from about 7 am one morning to about 5 pm the next day to get over the mountain to Panamint, with one night spent on side of the mountain camped out on a big flat rock. Quite a time! Luckily we parked my Wagoneer at Novak Camp at the mouth of Surprise Canyon so we could hike out the easy way!! Now one of the locals told us there used to be another road that went through one of the canyons north of Surprise, maybe Jail Canyon, I don't remember exactly, but I doubt it is passable...or more folks would know about it.