PDA

View Full Version : Ghost town dump diving

Ghosttowns.com
09-14-1998, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by steve in so az

: Today my wife and I worked an old west town dump. We brought home @ 50 bottles in good shape from the late 1880's to @ 1920. . Found no tokens yet, though a friend found one 3 weeks ago listed at $1200.00 and another at $700.00 a few weeks earlier. We're getting quite a few bottles now, what do some of you do with them ? We bought a display case for the better ones and put the rest in the attic. Any advice ? Thanks, Steve in so az

Ghosttowns.com
09-14-1998, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Todd

: : Today my wife and I worked an old west town dump. We brought home @ 50 bottles in good shape from the late 1880's to @ 1920. . Found no tokens yet, though a friend found one 3 weeks ago listed at $1200.00 and another at $700.00 a few weeks earlier. We're getting quite a few bottles now, what do some of you do with them ? We bought a display case for the better ones and put the rest in the attic. Any advice ? Thanks, Steve in so az

: Steve, be really carefull what you are doing. I love findin old relics myself but reserve myself to taking nothing but pictures these days as there are laws on both the Federal and State levels prohibiting the taking of anything from a historic site. If you get caught the penalties are severe including jail time and huge fines. In southern Arizona there are Bureau of Land Management and Parks people out all the time looking for people who are taking things from ghost towns and other historic sites. If I were you I would keep those bottles to yourself and not take them to a museum or sell them as that would only get you caught instantly. The only way you can do what you are doing is if you are private land and you own it or you have the permission of the land owner. If that is the case you have nothing to worry about and can sell the pieces to places that take them Try the Az historical society, Sharlott Hall, Robson's Mining world etc.. as they would all be interested. Again, we'd hate to see you in jail so be carefull out there! Ghosttowns.com

Ghosttowns.com
09-15-1998, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by steve in so az

: Todd _ I was on private land with permission. The site was @ a mile out of town, not in the town area. Sorry if I sounded like I was in the town digging it up. I also didn't mean to imply I wanted to sell, I don't. I was looking for ways to display, etc. Thanks for the advice, Steve in so az
: : : Today my wife and I worked an old west town dump. We brought home @ 50 bottles in good shape from the late 1880's to @ 1920. . Found no tokens yet, though a friend found one 3 weeks ago listed at $1200.00 and another at $700.00 a few weeks earlier. We're getting quite a few bottles now, what do some of you do with them ? We bought a display case for the better ones and put the rest in the attic. Any advice ? Thanks, Steve in so az

: : Steve, be really carefull what you are doing. I love findin old relics myself but reserve myself to taking nothing but pictures these days as there are laws on both the Federal and State levels prohibiting the taking of anything from a historic site. If you get caught the penalties are severe including jail time and huge fines. In southern Arizona there are Bureau of Land Management and Parks people out all the time looking for people who are taking things from ghost towns and other historic sites. If I were you I would keep those bottles to yourself and not take them to a museum or sell them as that would only get you caught instantly. The only way you can do what you are doing is if you are private land and you own it or you have the permission of the land owner. If that is the case you have nothing to worry about and can sell the pieces to places that take them Try the Az historical society, Sharlott Hall, Robson's Mining world etc.. as they would all be interested. Again, we'd hate to see you in jail so be carefull out there! Ghosttowns.com