PDA

View Full Version : ghost town in Florida - Garfield

Ghosttowns.com
04-26-2001, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Ron Wister

: I found this article on orlandosentinel.com today. It is about a guy who bought a lot of land in Deltona and found that it contained an abandoned cemetary. That's the main focus of the article, but there's a paragraph that mentions that the cemetary may once been part of a long-lost town called Garfield.

: Interesting, but I have no clue how to research this any further. I was thinking maybe someone with more experience in this stuff might be able to make something of the article.

: Anyone heard of this town before?

Ghosttowns.com
04-27-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Anna Kinzer

: : I found this article on orlandosentinel.com today. It is about a guy who bought a lot of land in Deltona and found that it contained an abandoned cemetary. That's the main focus of the article, but there's a paragraph that mentions that the cemetary may once been part of a long-lost town called Gar

Ghosttowns.com
04-27-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Anna Kinzer

: : I found this article on orlandosentinel.com today. It is about a guy who bought a lot of land in Deltona and found that it contained an abandoned cemetary. That's the main focus of the article, but there's a paragraph that mentions that the cemetary may once been part of a long-lost town called Garfield.

: : Interesting, but I have no clue how to research this any further. I was thinking maybe someone with more experience in this stuff might be able to make something of the article.

: : Anyone heard of this town before?

Ghosttowns.com
04-27-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike

: Well, so far, I have indeed found that the town was founded 1880, after the Civil War, by former slaves from Florida plantations. It was not so much a town of close knit buildings but rather a group of homesteads. Garfield, centered Northeast of the town of Enterprise, remained the black section for the area around Enterprise. Enterprise was the terminus for a thriving riverboat route on the St. Johns River. There once was a post office, church (near the grave yard) and a train depot. The freezes of about 1895 brought about the death of many towns in the area that depended on citrus. This one included. Right now the city has banned all building permits near the lots at Saxon Blvd and Panama Court in Deltona. Apparantely there are 75 to 85 graves in the abandoned cemetary. I'll keep digging. No pun intended.