PDA

View Full Version : Little Lake, CA - Gone

Ghosttowns.com
05-13-2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Little Lake, California, is now gone. The hotel and gas station is now several piles of rubble - concrete, wood and steel - awaiting removal to the landfill.

: I first noticed that the hotel was torn down the last week of April. Today I stopped by and took photos of the remains. Construction (destruction?) equipment is still parked next to the piles of rubble.

: The Little Lake Hotel burned in 1989, burning the upper floors. The Little Lake Post Office was spared as it was on the first floor, and continued to operate until several years ago. The owner, who still lived in the building and had plans to restore Little Lake Hotel to it's former condition, apparently gave up. The former grade of the Lone Pine Branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad (the "Jawbone," built through here in 1908 and completed to Owenyo in Owens Valley by 1911) was scrapped in 1998-99.

: The only things remaining in Little Lake today is one wooden cabin, some concrete foundations on the hillside to the west, and a few scattered ranches.

Ghosttowns.com
05-13-2001, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lynda

: I'm really sorry to hear that. Last time I was

: through there,which I think was at least a year

: ago, it looked like they were going to rebuilt it.

: I've explored along that RR grade.

: : Little Lake, California, is now gone. The hotel and gas station is now several piles of rubble - concrete, wood and steel - awaiting removal to the landfill.

: : I first noticed that the hotel was torn down the last week of April. Today I stopped by and took photos of the remains. Construction (destruction?) equipment is still parked next to the piles of rubble.

: : The Little Lake Hotel burned in 1989, burning the upper floors. The Little Lake Post Office was spared as it was on the first floor, and continued to operate until several years ago. The owner, who still lived in the building and had plans to restore Little Lake Hotel to it's former condition, apparently gave up. The former grade of the Lone Pine Branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad (the "Jawbone," built through here in 1908 and completed to Owenyo in Owens Valley by 1911) was scrapped in 1998-99.

: : The only things remaining in Little Lake today is one wooden cabin, some concrete foundations on the hillside to the west, and a few scattered ranches.

Ghosttowns.com
05-29-2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bob Tregilus

: This is no great lost as far as I'm concerned. I, unfortunately, stopped and ate at the hotel back in the late '70s. I and my geology class mates experienced the worst service, the worst food as well as unfriendly atmosphere anyone could ever imagine. Iíll never forget the experience! Passing by the location, later, in the 1980ís, I was pleased to see it closed to business. Iím very glad to hear it burned down in 1989. And Iím even happier to hear it has been bulldozed. Let the sagebrush and deer mice reclaim the area!

: Bob Tregilus

: : Little Lake, California, is now gone. The hotel and gas station is now several piles of rubble - concrete, wood and steel - awaiting removal to the landfill.

: : I first noticed that the hotel was torn down the last week of April. Today I stopped by and took photos of the remains. Construction (destruction?) equipment is still parked next to the piles of rubble.

: : The Little Lake Hotel burned in 1989, burning the upper floors. The Little Lake Post Office was spared as it was on the first floor, and continued to operate until several years ago. The owner, who still lived in the building and had plans to restore Little Lake Hotel to it's former condition, apparently gave up. The former grade of the Lone Pine Branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad (the "Jawbone," built through here in 1908 and completed to Owenyo in Owens Valley by 1911) was scrapped in 1998-99.

: : The only things remaining in Little Lake today is one wooden cabin, some concrete foundations on the hillside to the west, and a few scattered ranches.

Ghosttowns.com
12-15-2001, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Dolores

: I also was shocked a few month's back to discover that all the buildings were gone. My late husband and I once spent a memorable night in the hotel. We checked in and were given our room number but no key. When we asked for the key we were informed we didn't need a key. My husband said yes we did so the man shrugged and handed us an old fashioned skeleton key. My husband just shook his head, we went to the room, left our things including a very expensive camera. Left the key on the table and went out and spent a lovely evening with nice people. Thanks Little Lake.