PDA

View Full Version : Gilmore Idaho

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-2001, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by sam

: I live in idaho some what near gilmore and want to get any info i can on it. I really don't know much about that ghost town and if anybody has any information on it it would be a real help to me. thanks a ton, sam

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Lynda

: I don't know much but gold was discovered in the

: 1870s. I think later they also mined silver & lead.

: Problems of remoteness made getting products to

: market difficult. The mines are up an old road in

: back of the town. In the early 1900s a railroad was

: put thro to Gilmore called the "Gilmore-Pittsburg RR"

: The tracks were all taken up for scrap.After that

: the town prospered until the depression.Do you know

: where the cemetery is?

: : I live in idaho some what near gilmore and want to get any info i can on it. I really don't know much about that ghost town and if anybody has any information on it it would be a real help to me. thanks a ton, sam

Ghosttowns.com
07-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by elizabeth

: hello!

: i am so excited to have found someone that knows about gilmore. i am also looking for information and pictures of gilmore. i am 20 and lived there when i was a baby. it's my favorite place to go. my grandparents and father mined gold there in the early 80's. i would love to chat with you! e-mail me!

: elizabeth

flynch42
10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
your best bet for getting information is talking to doyl hammon i believe he still lives in roberts idaho he and his family bought the spencer place....(i think that was the homestead name) **** moll used to live untill a few years ago when he was found frozen over the winter ( so to those that say no-one lived there since the forties...well that is just not so,....he wrote a book on the place (i have a copy) but i don't know if it wsa ever published...the semetary is just down from the P.I. mine on the main road to the lake.

craigharris20
11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
My dad was born in Gilmore on Dec. 1, 1917. His father's name was Alfred Harris who ran a mercantile and the post office. My father's, grandfather,John Wheeler Harris, worked on the Gilmore-Pittsburg Railraod. My father's mother's family were the Neville's who also lived in Gilmore. Our family album has many pictures of Gilmore taken around the time of my dad's birtth. My dad's uncle, Wayne Neville, told me a story of how he and his horse "Billy Sunday" crashed through the front window of the hotel. He said he named the horse after the preacher because he was a "knot head of a horse."

Dixie
11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
My mother and her sister and brother were raised for a bit in Gilmore. Infact my Uncle Bud wrote a story for a magazine about Gilmore. I was thrilled to find a discussion on this town here. I am now a member of this board. My mothers name was Mildred King. Her brother and sister are Bud, (Sam) and Catherine (Mary) King. If anyone would like to see the story let me know. I can mail it to you in snail mail.

Dixie

craigharris20
12-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Hello Dixie, I would very much like to see your uncles's story about Gilmore. If you could snail it to me I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Craig Harris
22901 34th Ave W.
Brier, WA 98036

Shatana
02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Here's a newspaper article that discusses some of the mining activity around Gilmore.

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/slmr&CISOPTR=6721&CISOSHOW=6768&REC=19

fivepointskid
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Sam, I'm new at this, but my Grandmother and Grandfather, and Mother lived in Gilmore for a time back in 1906 ish. My Grandfather Joe Williams was a horse rancher, used to catch and tame wild horses. They also lived in Leadore, and my Mom was born in Lewisville, Idaho in 1906.

: I live in idaho some what near gilmore and want to get any info i can on it. I really don't know much about that ghost town and if anybody has any information on it it would be a real help to me. thanks a ton, sam[/quote]

fivepointskid
09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Craig Harris, My Grandfather and Grandmother, and Mother lived in Gilmore back in the early 1900's. Joe Williams (grandfather) was a horse rancher. He used to catch wild horses and tame them. He may have had his ranches in Leadore and Lewisville too. My Mom was born in Lewisville in 1906. My sister Marlene was up in Gilmore and took some pictures about 10 years ago and talked with a guy that was one of the miners back in the day. Don't have his name though. Mark

My dad was born in Gilmore on Dec. 1, 1917. His father's name was Alfred Harris who ran a mercantile and the post office. My father's, grandfather,John Wheeler Harris, worked on the Gilmore-Pittsburg Railraod. My father's mother's family were the Neville's who also lived in Gilmore. Our family album has many pictures of Gilmore taken around the time of my dad's birtth. My dad's uncle, Wayne Neville, told me a story of how he and his horse "Billy Sunday" crashed through the front window of the hotel. He said he named the horse after the preacher because he was a "knot head of a horse."[/quote]

fivepointskid
09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi Dixie
My Grandfather Joe Williams, Grandmother Dora Williams, and my Mom Alice Williams lived in Gilmore for quite some time back in the early 1900's. Mom was born in Lewisville in 1906, and they lived there for a while, as well as in Leadore, Idaho. Grandpa caught wild horses, tamed them, and then sold them to the local gentry. My sister Marlene was up there about 10 or 15 years ago, trying to find info on Gilmore, and took some pictures; talked to a local fellow that was roaming around the mining area and said he used to mine there... so he must be pretty old... didn't get his name. Nice to know people are interested in Gilmore.
When did your Mom and Aunt and Uncle live in Gilmore? Thanks for posting the newspaper article - interesting.
During the Great Depression, my Grandpa lost his income from horse ranching, and became a coal miner and eventually died of Black Lung Disease. Not sure which town those mines were in.

Mark

My mother and her sister and brother were raised for a bit in Gilmore. Infact my Uncle Bud wrote a story for a magazine about Gilmore. I was thrilled to find a discussion on this town here. I am now a member of this board. My mothers name was Mildred King. Her brother and sister are Bud, (Sam) and Catherine (Mary) King. If anyone would like to see the story let me know. I can mail it to you in snail mail.

Dixie[/quote]

inkfuz
12-14-2008, 04:36 AM
hi did you ever find the cemitary in gilmore i do know where it is and it is hard to find i lived in leadore for along time if you still need help finding it let me know tj

davidrb9
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
About 6 years ago I purchased 14 lots in what they called lower Gilmore. That is the area with the store. The property has 2 houses on it and I am in the process of renivating the big house. It was called the "Tunnel House". The reason for that was there was an enclosed walkway from the back of the house to the outhouse.

I have quite a few pics of Gilmore if anyone would care for a copy. They are all from the last 6 years though.

davidrb9
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
your best bet for getting information is talking to doyl hammon i believe he still lives in roberts idaho he and his family bought the spencer place....(i think that was the homestead name) **** moll used to live untill a few years ago when he was found frozen over the winter ( so to those that say no-one lived there since the forties...well that is just not so,....he wrote a book on the place (i have a copy) but i don't know if it wsa ever published...the semetary is just down from the P.I. mine on the main road to the lake.
**** Moll didn't die from being frozen. He died from strep among other medical problems. He is buried in the cemetary in Gilmore. The book that he wrote is on file at the Idaho Falls, ID Public Library. You can copy pages out of it but can't check it out.

tlbell6
08-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi. I have been searching for any info I can find regarding my grandfather & grandmother who both met and lived at the Gilmore Camp in the Salmon National Forest in 1910. My grandmother was Ida Cecelia Elg and was from Sweden. She was a school teacher at the camp. My grandfather was Samuel Bell and was from Ireland. He was a miner. They had 6 sons who lived. My father was Jack Camden Bell and was born in Gilmore in 1923. None of them are alive any longer, and I am just trying to find any info about them and the history of Gilmore. The info I have been able to locate is from the 1910 census.

Samuel William BellB: 1911Louis Whiteman BellB: 1912Frank Oliver BellB: 1914Agnes Sophia BellB: 1915Robert BellB: 1920Jack Camden BellB: 1923

tyhardy
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I am working on a documentary for Gilmore that will be presented before PBS and other broadcast companies. If you have any information, or would like to be interviewed on TV, please email me and let me know. tyhardy@gmail.com

My dad was born in Gilmore on Dec. 1, 1917. His father's name was Alfred Harris who ran a mercantile and the post office. My father's, grandfather,John Wheeler Harris, worked on the Gilmore-Pittsburg Railraod. My father's mother's family were the Neville's who also lived in Gilmore. Our family album has many pictures of Gilmore taken around the time of my dad's birtth. My dad's uncle, Wayne Neville, told me a story of how he and his horse "Billy Sunday" crashed through the front window of the hotel. He said he named the horse after the preacher because he was a "knot head of a horse."

Darin
04-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum tyhardy. I'm sure someone will chime in eventually on this.

Just an F.Y.I., if you don't see your posts on here right away it's because they are moderated and need to be approved first. This will happen the first half dozen or so times and then you're good to go.

Again welcome to the forum!!!

patty pickett
05-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I love going to Gilmore ,that place fasinates me ..I have many pictures from there ! http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets
tyhardy, when is the Gilmore documentary going to be aired ? I 'd love to see it !

Monbade
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I was browsing the net looking for land and found some by gilmore for sale. Price wasnt bad, but not a whole lot of information on the area or the properties.

William

sagalbr@sbcglobal.net
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi, I just came across your posting a few years ago about Gilmore Idaho. I wonder if you could tell me more about the book you mentioned, and also how I might get in touch with Doyl Hammon? My husband just passed and we spent many happy hours in Gilmore in the early 60's. Since it was his favorite place my children and I would like to visit Gilmore and celebrate my husband's life there. Thank you in advance, Shirley

susieq
11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi. I have been searching for any info I can find regarding my grandfather & grandmother who both met and lived at the Gilmore Camp in the Salmon National Forest in 1910. My grandmother was Ida Cecelia Elg and was from Sweden. She was a school teacher at the camp. My grandfather was Samuel Bell and was from Ireland. He was a miner. They had 6 sons who lived. My father was Jack Camden Bell and was born in Gilmore in 1923. None of them are alive any longer, and I am just trying to find any info about them and the history of Gilmore. The info I have been able to locate is from the 1910 census.

Samuel William BellB: 1911Louis Whiteman BellB: 1912Frank Oliver BellB: 1914Agnes Sophia BellB: 1915Robert BellB: 1920Jack Camden BellB: 1923

Ida Cecilia Elg's family is from Sweden. This is her parents and brothers and sisters. Her mother and her mother's brother both emigrated from Sweden. Her grandfather Jonas Holmberg's mother and my husband's great great grandfather were brother and sister. i have also listed below your father's siblings.
Sofia Jonasdotter Holmberg. Born 1851-03-27 Gåsborn, Holmsjön 344). Residence to 1881-03-16
Gåsborn (S), Gustavsström. Emigrated 1881-03-16 N. Amerika. Died 1916-11-26 Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Family with Karl Johan Elg (Born 1851-03-22 Säfsnäs, Gravendal. Died 1941-08-02 Idaho Falls, Idaho
Marriage 1875-06-26 Gåsborn 885).
Children:
Oskar Elg. Born 1876-12-21 Gåsborn, Gustavsström 886). Died 1954-06-30 Los Angeles, California.
Ida Cecilia Elg. Born 1878-11-22 Gåsborn, Gustavsström 641). Died 1961-09-20 Lewiston, Idaho.
Ella Elg. Born 1882-11-28 Osage City, Kansas, USA 191). Died 1973-11-05 Lynwood, California.
Elmer Elg. Born 1884-09-26 Osage City, Osage, Kansas, USA 887). Died 1961-10-02 Idaho Falls, Bonneville, Idaho).
4Iver Elg. Born 1888-07-31 Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA 191). Died 1900-07-29.
NEXT GENERATION UP
Jonas Holmberg. Born 1814-10-22 Gåsborn (S), Holmsjöhöjden 124). Died 1880-02-25 Gåsborn (S),
Gustavsström.
Family with Ingrid Helena Persdotter (Born 1819-08-08 Gåsborn (S), Franstorp 341). Died 1878-03-05 Gåsborn (S)
, Gustavsström.)
Children:
Brita Katarina Holmberg. Born 1846-07-27 Gåsborn (S), Dreskhöjden 342).
Johanna Ulrika Holmberg. Born 1848-08-23 Gåsborn (S), Holmsjön 343).
Sofia Jonasdotter Holmberg. Born 1851-03-27 Gåsborn (S), Holmsjön 344). Died 1916-11-26 Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Per Johan Holmberg. Born 1856-03-29 Gåsborn (S) 345). Died 1924-07-22 Idaho Falls, Bonneville, Idaho.

Samuel William Bell. Born 1911 Idaho. Died 1960-09-23.
Lewis Whiteman Bell. Born 1912-05-23 Idaho Falls, Idaho). Died 1972-02-11 Clarkston, Utah).
Frank O. Bell. Born 1914-02-15 Idaho. Died 1970-12 Lewiston, Idaho, USA.
Agnes Sophia Bell. Born 1915-09-09 Gilmore, Idaho, USA. Died 1915-10-06 Gilmore, Idaho.
Robert Bell. Born 1920-03-31 Idaho. Died 1985-06 Buffalo, New York.
Jack Camden Bell. Born 1923-04-10 Gilmore, Idaho. Died 1976-08 Lewiston, Idaho.

Whizbang
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I am planning to see Gilmore this spring, the views are outstanding!

elliott
09-20-2012, 06:54 PM

My family had a boarding house there in Gilmore. I'm looking for any photos of the Elliotts, sometimes spelled Elliot, and Scollicks, also family from Gilmore. Their names were John W Elliott, wife Annie and children that went to school there Raymond, Nellie and Gladys....help. my father side of the family died when he was a child so there's no family pics to pass to my children..I'll be more than happy to pay for copies and shipping

elliott
09-22-2012, 08:10 AM
My family the Elliotts left Wisdom Montana in the 20s and moved to Gilmore. They ran one of three boarding houses in town but from what I was told by the Historical Society some kids set fire to it and burned it down....bummer I'm looking for any old photos of the Elliotts and Scollicks, there Boarding house, etc.. I'm willing to pay.
my email is plycoupe1936@msn.com

M.A.K.S.
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM
My father in law and his family have a cabin in Gilmore. It used to belong to Richard (****) Moll, they have restored it and made it look amazing! It is so much fun to go there! Dan Lerwill is my father in law, and he has a book that is stockpiled of photos and lots, and all kinds of information about Gilmore. He built the memorial up at the cemetery and the memorial around Dicks grave, as well as cleared out the cemetary from all the debris and brush and placed new markers on he grave sites still standing. He knows lots of information about some of the cabins that are standing and about some that are no longer there. He gives a tour, and will answer any questions he might know. He recently just put up wooden signs with the names of streets around his property. If you have driven down the main road in Gilmore in the last few years and see that AIR MAIL-BOX that is his! Dont be afraid to contact him, we have started a facebook page to share photos and information, as well as you sharing any photos and information you may have as well! here is the fb page. Hope to see you there! The facebook page is called: A place called Gilmore, Idaho OR here is the url to get there https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-place-called-Gilmore-Idaho/467763346679589

M.A.K.S.
02-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Mark, that would be so interesting to read..
My father in law and his family have a cabin in Gilmore. It used to belong to Richard (****) Moll, they have restored it and made it look amazing! It is so much fun to go there! Dan Lerwill is my father in law, and he has a book that is stockpiled of photos and lots, and all kinds of information about Gilmore. He built the memorial up at the cemetery and the memorial around Dicks grave, as well as cleared out the cemetary from all the debris and brush and placed new markers on he grave sites still standing. He knows lots of information about some of the cabins that are standing and about some that are no longer there. He gives a tour, and will answer any questions he might know. He recently just put up wooden signs with the names of streets around his property. If you have driven down the main road in Gilmore in the last few years and see that AIR MAIL-BOX that is his! Dont be afraid to contact him, we have started a facebook page to share photos and information, as well as you sharing any photos and information you may have as well! here is the fb page. Hope to see you there! The facebook page is called: A place called Gilmore, Idaho OR here is the url to get there https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-place-called-Gilmore-Idaho/467763346679589

Hi Dixie
My Grandfather Joe Williams, Grandmother Dora Williams, and my Mom Alice Williams lived in Gilmore for quite some time back in the early 1900's. Mom was born in Lewisville in 1906, and they lived there for a while, as well as in Leadore, Idaho. Grandpa caught wild horses, tamed them, and then sold them to the local gentry. My sister Marlene was up there about 10 or 15 years ago, trying to find info on Gilmore, and took some pictures; talked to a local fellow that was roaming around the mining area and said he used to mine there... so he must be pretty old... didn't get his name. Nice to know people are interested in Gilmore.
When did your Mom and Aunt and Uncle live in Gilmore? Thanks for posting the newspaper article - interesting.
During the Great Depression, my Grandpa lost his income from horse ranching, and became a coal miner and eventually died of Black Lung Disease. Not sure which town those mines were in.

Mark

Dixie[/QUOTE]

M.A.K.S.
02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I do recall I have seen you guys working on that roof! =) I am there quite often. My husbands family has a cabin right there next to yours. Dan Lerwill is my father in law and there is a facebook page that is just starting out for Gilmore with the information that he has.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-place-called-Gilmore-Idaho/467763346679589

About 6 years ago I purchased 14 lots in what they called lower Gilmore. That is the area with the store. The property has 2 houses on it and I am in the process of renivating the big house. It was called the "Tunnel House". The reason for that was there was an enclosed walkway from the back of the house to the outhouse.

I have quite a few pics of Gilmore if anyone would care for a copy. They are all from the last 6 years though.

M.A.K.S.
08-10-2014, 12:46 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-place-called-Gilmore-Idaho/467763346679589

Originally posted by Lynda

: I don't know much but gold was discovered in the

: 1870s. I think later they also mined silver & lead.

: Problems of remoteness made getting products to

: market difficult. The mines are up an old road in

: back of the town. In the early 1900s a railroad was

: put thro to Gilmore called the "Gilmore-Pittsburg RR"

: The tracks were all taken up for scrap.After that

: the town prospered until the depression.Do you know

: where the cemetery is?

: : I live in idaho some what near gilmore and want to get any info i can on it. I really don't know much about that ghost town and if anybody has any information on it it would be a real help to me. thanks a ton, sam