PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ghost Towns

Ghosttowns.com
06-06-2001, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Tom

: I have explored ghost towns for over twenty years now; mostly with two long time friends of mine. Our first trip was in December 1977 when we visited the sites of Harshaw, Mowrey, Duquesne, Washington Camp and Lochiel in Southern Arizona - I live in Tucson. We visited Pearce, Gleeson and Courtland near Tombstone a little later.

: Most of our trips have been in Arizona, but also New Mexico, California, Nevada and on my own in Colorado.

: As for which ones are the best; well, I'll go by category. Old Hatchita in New Mexico is the best I've seen for a true ghost town - one that is totally abandoned. Bodie, California is my favorite tourist ghost town. My favorite semi - ghost is Pearce, Arizona which is close to Tombstone.

: One more category here; the town that is still active, but old and historic and remote. My choice is Arivaca, Arizona.

Ghosttowns.com
06-06-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by xplorrr

: Since you didn't ask...

: Metropolis, NV is easily the most poignant ghost I've been to. Not much to photograph or see, but if you know the history (a water reclamation project that lasted for about 20 years)you can't help but be moved. Locals have erected a small marker at the site in remembrance. Stand in the ruins of the Lincoln School arch, look out over the miles of sage and I swear you can feel the spirits here clearer than anywhere else. It is also notable due to the fact it is a rare NV agricultural ghost town!

: Grafton, UT impressed me with it's physical beauty and lush colors. Interestingly, it is another ag ghost.

: Nothing tops Bodie, though!!

Ghosttowns.com
06-06-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : I have explored ghost towns for over twenty years now; mostly with two long time friends of mine. Our first trip was in December 1977 when we visited the sites of Harshaw, Mowrey, Duquesne, Washington Camp and Lochiel in Southern Arizona - I live in Tucson. We visited Pearce, Gleeson and Courtland near Tombstone a little later.

: : Most of our trips have been in Arizona, but also New Mexico, California, Nevada and on my own in Colorado.

: : As for which ones are the best; well, I'll go by category. Old Hatchita in New Mexico is the best I've seen for a true ghost town - one that is totally abandoned. Bodie, California is my favorite tourist ghost town. My favorite semi - ghost is Pearce, Arizona which is close to Tombstone.

: : One more category here; the town that is still active, but old and historic and remote. My choice is Arivaca, Arizona.

: Bodie is actually not a tourist ghost. (It's a true ghost, in spite of the rangers). But I would like to know if you think the first set of gt s you listed in So. Az, are worth seeing. And has it been 20 years since you last saw them?

: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
08-07-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Amber

: : Since you didn't ask...

: : Metropolis, NV is easily the most poignant ghost I've been to. Not much to photograph or see, but if you know the history (a water reclamation project that lasted for about 20 years)you can't help but be moved. Locals have erected a small marker at the site in remembrance. Stand in the ruins of the Lincoln School arch, look out over the miles of sage and I swear you can feel the spirits here clearer than anywhere else. It is also notable due to the fact it is a rare NV agricultural ghost town!

: : Grafton, UT impressed me with it's physical beauty and lush colors. Interestingly, it is another ag ghost.

: : Nothing tops Bodie, though!!