PDA

View Full Version : Saving the past

Ghosttowns.com
10-12-1998, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Chuck Alexander

: This is going to sound like a cry in the wilderness, but as I continue to travel around the southwest I can't believe the amount of destruction I've witnessed revisiting some of the Ghost Towns and historic places I've visited in the past few years. People don't seem to attach any historic value to Ghost Townes and Mining Camps as they do to Indian Ruins in the Southwest.(with all the pot hunters, thats not saying much). It seems that Ghost Towns and Mining Camps are up for grabs, take away anything you can lift and cart off. Oh well, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Ghosttowns.com
10-12-1998, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Todd

: : This is going to sound like a cry in the wilderness, but as I continue to travel around the southwest I can't believe the amount of destruction I've witnessed revisiting some of the Ghost Towns and historic places I've visited in the past few years. People don't seem to attach any historic value to Ghost Townes and Mining Camps as they do to Indian Ruins in the Southwest.(with all the pot hunters, thats not saying much). It seems that Ghost Towns and Mining Camps are up for grabs, take away anything you can lift and cart off. Oh well, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

: You are absolutely right Chuck! Thats why we created this website! We hope even the people who arent interested in ghost towns per se will mosey on in and become interested and appreciate the value of our heritage. If more people were truly interested, we would be able to save more sites from vandals, thieves, and time. Imagine if there was a centralized place (like ghosttowns.com) where people who even had a casual interest in ghost towns could all go. Eventually, if there were hundreds of thousands of ghost towners all going to a cental place, and funds were needed to preserve a sight, and a couple hundred thousand people all chipped in fifty cents or a buck to the cause! We could raise enough capital to save any site! That is one of our goals at Ghosttowns.com Tell your friends!

Ghosttowns.com
10-12-1998, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kathy

: I sympathise with Todd and Chuck. Being a ghost
: town enthusiast, I too, would like to see the
: old towns and mining camps left for future
: generations. Don't have a solution, just wanted
: to add my $ .02. It is a shame that people think
: they can cart off anything if no one is watching.

Ghosttowns.com
10-13-1998, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mike Logan

:
: : : This is going to sound like a cry in the wilderness, but as I continue to travel around the southwest I can't believe the amount of destruction I've witnessed revisiting some of the Ghost Towns and historic places I've visited in the past few years. People don't seem to attach any historic value to Ghost Townes and Mining Camps as they do to Indian Ruins in the Southwest.(with all the pot hunters, thats not saying much). It seems that Ghost Towns and Mining Camps are up for grabs, take away anything you can lift and cart off. Oh well, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

: : You are absolutely right Chuck! Thats why we created this website! We hope even the people who arent interested in ghost towns per se will mosey on in and become interested and appreciate the value of our heritage. If more people were truly interested, we would be able to save more sites from vandals, thieves, and time. Imagine if there was a centralized place (like ghosttowns.com) where people who even had a casual interest in ghost towns could all go. Eventually, if there were hundreds of thousands of ghost towners all going to a cental place, and funds were needed to preserve a sight, and a couple hundred thousand people all chipped in fifty cents or a buck to the cause! We could raise enough capital to save any site! That is one of our goals at Ghosttowns.com Tell your friends! To all interested
: like your idea about buying a site sounds cool would be interested in helping in restoration have no money but lots of time and some tools do some work as handyman.

Ghosttowns.com
10-13-1998, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Mike Logan

: sorry i have been posting things twice and posting parts of other peoples messages but i am farily newat this computer stuff so please bear with me.Liked your idea about buying a ghost town to preserve it would like to help though am handy man with tools. Would be willing to help to either restore one or preserve what is left. Please send any replys to my e-mail address thank you mike

Ghosttowns.com
10-20-1998, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: I just saw an artical in the newspaper yesterday about a guy getting 10 months in prison for taking indian artifacts in Utah I think our Ghost Towns deserve the same level of protection.
: G T's suffer not only from vandals but are also destroyed by the government, a forest ranger told me they routinly level old buildings to prevent squaters from moving in. I have found sites burned to ground in the desert by the BLM.
: Private property owners are sometimes the worst, for example Aurora NV. was 1 of the best ghost towns around in the 1950's, this and the
: Bodie property were owned by the Cain family, when they had problems meeting the taxes on both properties, they let construction companys come in and take bricks from the buildings in order to devalue the property leaving us nothing to see today.
: Another example is the Cosmopolitan Saloon in Belmont NV. this was a fine 2 story building still standing in the 1970's, but because of neglect buy the owners, its now a pile of wood.
: The one thing that bugs me the most is people who take or vandalize headstones, this I cant understand.

: Happy Exploring!
: Lewis Shorb

:
: Lewis