PDA

View Full Version : Portugee Rd-Richmond,VA

Ghosttowns.com
06-25-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Caroline

: Looked for the Portugee Rd. ghosttown near Richmond Byrd airport - couldn't find it with directions given. Can Christopher Thompson or someone else provide me with better, more concise directions please?

: Thanks, Caroline

Ghosttowns.com
06-29-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Cactusman

: Hi Caroline,

: I grew up in Virginia only an hour away from Richmond. I intend to move home this winter. If you will post the information you have on this road, I'll be glad to look for it and give you whatever answers I find.

: Have a great day!

Ghosttowns.com
09-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Anne

: I was just at the Portugee Rd ghosttown yesterday. It wasn't easy to find as the directions on the another website were old and Portugee Rd no longer ends to a dirt road. Also, to get to it, you have to walk about 3/4 mile down a dirt road. Unfortunately, the buildings are gone, but there are still curbs and common areas (where the park benches used to be) as well as old fire hydrants are there. The "fake" airport runway is still there, too, although it's overgrown, like the rest of the area. The area is huge (well, for a "fake town" that was used as a decoy in war-time). It's about 1 1/2 miles square. I thought it was well worth what it took to find the place, but others may be disappointed because there's not much left to it. Go down Portugee Rd. *Before* it narrows (and the double-yellow lines are no longer), on your left is a sort of driveway to a dirt road. There is a gate there and it says no trespassing. If you do so anyway, and walk about 3/4 mile, it opens up to a "fake town" area. You will see all the curbs and fire hydrants and common areas that are shaped like triangles where the park benches used to be. You can walk down several roads that lead to nowhere or they are just convoluted ways back to the road you were just on. I found it fascinating. What I found even more interesting is that most of the locals I spoke with had heard of the legend, but had absolutely no idea where it was or where it was located. Not even the Aviation Museum people knew. Since this was a decoy town so that the real airport wouldn't be bombed during WW2, I would think the museum people would have known.

Ghosttowns.com
09-05-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by John Collins

: : I was just at the Portugee Rd ghosttown yesterday. It wasn't easy to find as the directions on the another website were old and Portugee Rd no longer ends to a dirt road. Also, to get to it, you have to walk about 3/4 mile down a dirt road. Unfortunately, the buildings are gone, but there are still curbs and common areas (where the park benches used to be) as well as old fire hydrants are there. The "fake" airport runway is still there, too, although it's overgrown, like the rest of the area. The area is huge (well, for a "fake town" that was used as a decoy in war-time). It's about 1 1/2 miles square. I thought it was well worth what it took to find the place, but others may be disappointed because there's not much left to it. Go down Portugee Rd. *Before* it narrows (and the double-yellow lines are no longer), on your left is a sort of driveway to a dirt road. There is a gate there and it says no trespassing. If you do so anyway, and walk about 3/4 mile, it opens up to a "fake town" area. You will see all the curbs and fire hydrants and common areas that are shaped like triangles where the park benches used to be. You can walk down several roads that lead to nowhere or they are just convoluted ways back to the road you were just on. I found it fascinating. What I found even more interesting is that most of the locals I spoke with had heard of the legend, but had absolutely no idea where it was or where it was located. Not even the Aviation Museum people knew. Since this was a decoy town so that the real airport wouldn't be bombed during WW2, I would think the museum people would have known.

: Thanks for the rundown. I was in the area a few months ago. I tried to find it, but it was getting dark, and I had to give up.

: I could tell from Portugee Rd. that something was back there. All the fire hydrants and electrical equipment along the right-of-way were suspicious since that area felt like the boonies.

: On the other side of the area (I don't remember the road name.), there were also some old signs nailed to trees (about 15 ft up, I'd guess) about "Quadrant" or "Sector" such-and-such. Looked like a 4-wheeler trail went around much of that side.

xvortx
11-03-2004, 05:42 AM
It is about a half mile before you reach technology road on the left. It is a mound of dirt built up in front of road with a tire at the base. Took some pictures of the old hydrants yesterday.