PDA

View Full Version : FALL GHOST TOWN RALLY?

Ghosttowns.com
06-27-2001, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Cat Ripley

: Howdy all! A couple of fellow ghosttowners and I have been discussing getting a Fall Ghost Town Rally together. Several suggestions have been to hold the rally in the NorthEastern corner of Nevada. Places like Jarbridge and Hamilton have been thrown out there as places to hit. Any ideas? Anyone interested?

Ghosttowns.com
06-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: You say fall but I've been deer hunting in both areas and around World Series Time (2n or 3rd week of fall a storm comes by a dumps a ton of snow. That closes the best road to Jarbidge (Elko to Charleston and over the hill) until about Memorial Day. You can always get out via Idaho but at least for the first few days after a storm, the road west toward Mountain City is a real challenge.

: Hamilton also gets hit by that first fall snow. Jarbidge qand Hamilton are perhaps better visited in the summer or around Labor Day. Metropolis is a possiblity, close enough for side trips to Tobar, Sprucemont, in a day Tuscarora. The good thing about someplace like Metropolis is if a strom hits, relatively inexpensive rooms can be had in Wells for those who consider that kinda cold should be reserved for the freezer :)

: Just my 2 cents. Yet Another Bob

Ghosttowns.com
06-27-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by xplorrr

: I will be exploring ghosts in the Tonopah area (Stateline, Oriental, Klondike, Divide,Gilbert, Hannapah, and whatever else), as well as Death Valley's Racetrack and ghosts (Keene, Chloride, Panamint City, Wicht's Camp, Ballarat, and the west side of the valley) with the wife and kid this fall. Right now it looks like dates will be Sept. 3 (Tonopah) thru 6 (DV). Fellow enthusiasts are welcome, especially in DV where 2 vehicles are better than 1. 4WD, of course...

: ??? ???? ????

Ghosttowns.com
06-27-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Cat Ripley

: Yet Another Bob,

: Yep, weather is always a consideration and will be a factor in which sites we'll visit. Fortunately there are MANY sites to visit in the event that Jarbridge or other sites are inaccessible due to snow. However, as I havnt yet visited Jarbridge I was hoping it would be one of the stops.

: Shawn Hall (THE Nevada ghost town expert and author) will most likely be joining us and he is very knowledgeable about sites in the area we're looking at.

: The date for the rally has not yet been set and the weather will be a factor when we all sit down and decide.

: The more input the better so we can plan a better trip!

: : You say fall but I've been deer hunting in both areas and around World Series Time (2n or 3rd week of fall a storm comes by a dumps a ton of snow. That closes the best road to Jarbidge (Elko to Charleston and over the hill) until about Memorial Day. You can always get out via Idaho but at least for the first few days after a storm, the road west toward Mountain City is a real challenge.

: : Hamilton also gets hit by that first fall snow. Jarbidge qand Hamilton are perhaps better visited in the summer or around Labor Day. Metropolis is a possiblity, close enough for side trips to Tobar, Sprucemont, in a day Tuscarora. The good thing about someplace like Metropolis is if a strom hits, relatively inexpensive rooms can be had in Wells for those who consider that kinda cold should be reserved for the freezer :)

: : Just my 2 cents. Yet Another Bob

Ghosttowns.com
06-27-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: It seems like Jarbidge is an ordinary town except Memorial Day, Four of July and Labor Day, which is when I'd recommend you visit. I'd like to meet Shawn, we've exchanged email but never had the pleasure. Also, would like to meet Howard Hickson if I ever get to Elko on a weekday. Your correct about there being a lot of neat places to visit. There are a couple of sites (Over 20 in Elko County) I'd like to find myself. After snow, the roads get pretty bad but heading toward Rowland is a beautiful way out of Jarbidge. Try to get there about once every three years or so. Hope this thread keeps going!

:

Ghosttowns.com
07-02-2001, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rob

: :Cat, I'm in, as long as the dates are not between Sept 30th through October 7th. I will be lounging on the deck of a cruise ship during that week. :)

: Rob

Ghosttowns.com
08-17-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Dan

: Did you guys get this rally going? What are the details?

: : Howdy all! A couple of fellow ghosttowners and I have been discussing getting a Fall Ghost Town Rally together. Several suggestions have been to hold the rally in the NorthEastern corner of Nevada. Places like Jarbridge and Hamilton have been thrown out there as places to hit. Any ideas? Anyone interested?