PDA

View Full Version : Tybo, NV

Ghosttowns.com
10-16-1998, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by George Brecht

: Have you been to Tybo,NV in the past year?
: if so then E-Mail me, I would like to ask some questions.

: Thanks

Ghosttowns.com
12-24-1998, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Dale

:
: : Have you been to Tybo,NV in the past year?
: : if so then E-Mail me, I would like to ask some questions.

: : Thanks

: Reply: I have been there the last two years. What would you like to know?

Ghosttowns.com
04-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Glen Robbins

: I live There now.

Ghosttowns.com
11-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Jim

: :
: : : Have you been to Tybo,NV in the past year?
: : : if so then E-Mail me, I would like to ask some questions.

: : : Thanks

: we are going this thanksgiving, and some other mines and goast town north of there...

Nevada Bob
12-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes, I was up there in Tybo back in the spring. Are interested in my they
are rebuilding everything?

Still Learning

Nevada Bob
12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Glen Robbins

: I live There now.:Need info on who is rebuilding the old school?
robertwynn@robertwynn.com

ElyJon
11-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I bought an old house not long ago in Ely NV, started looking at a bit of the history of the house and found out that the house was one of four identical houses originally built sometime in the 1920's in Tybo, then moved to Ely in 1941. The other three were also moved, two of them are within a few blocks of my house in Ely and the other sits on hwy 318 in Lund.
I am looking for older pictures of these places, I have found one that I need to go scan that shows all four houses sitting side by side in Tybo about 1925. If anyone has old pictures of Tybo between 1925 and the second world war would love to get scans of them for my own personal house history. If you are interested in seeing a little piece of removed Tybo history I am blogging on my place at http://pokersearch.blogspot.com (http://pokersearch.blogspot.com/). I am also researching what kind of houses these were, IE sears houses or some other kit house or who the original builders may have been, and owners also (suspect they were built by a mining company).

GaryB
11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Where did you move from? In case no one told you, it can get a little cold in Ely in the winter.

dvsww2
11-13-2005, 09:16 PM
While you are remodeling, look at the floor joists and studs and see if they are stamped with a number and a letter, usually in purple ink as the kit houses were sort of like a big puzzle that you put together. They were usually shipped by rail. They also did kit barns. Look under Craftsmen houses as some of the old info is on line as well as photos. I would guess as to the size that these were probably houses for the supervisors. This is not a far fetched idea as Henry Ford actually contracted whole company towns with Craftsman as it was cheaper to buy a kit house than build from scatch. Sears also sold house plans and were a ready source for windows doors and trim. Good luck in your Ely home. Thanks Howard in ID

dvsww2
11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I should have said Sears house rather than craftsman which was more of an upscale kit house than Sears. Anyway this opens up some interesting items since they started with kit houses in about 1909 into the WWII era. It might be interesting to take a look at the catalogs on line as a kit house would be just ideal for an area that didn't have good supply of materials, or skilled labor.

ElyJon
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Grew up in Orange county CA, boring weather, then Las Vegas, too hot, Then Minnesota, to cold, then Boise, not cold enough, Then Ely a few years back, just right:)
On the lumber I have looked and we have simply "house one on mine", around the corner is house two. Have now gone through half a dozen catalogs from Sears, Montgomery Ward and some other stuff and have not even found anything close to the floor plan much less the house. I understand that the lumbar was often stamped on the end of the wood, so I may find something more yet.
BTW, Craftsman was not really a kit but a housing style and philosphy. Think Bungalow, quarter sawn white oak, simple non-ornate furniture and Gustave Stickley.

podunklander
12-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a challenge -fascinating of course and I hope you are able to find the information you need b4 too long. If I may suggest that you contact the NV State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) and speak with the architectual historian there - you may be able to get some answers in one phone call.

You can access info online for SHPO through the State's website. The SHPO here in CT has many resources available to owner's of historic houses - including a book with guidelines for renovating these homes.

Are you able to post a photo of your house? I'm just curious. My neighbor across the street has a kit house (probably Sears) that is Craftsman-style. There was an article in The Hartford Courant's Real Estate section a few months ago about the kit houses. Don't know if you'ld be able to find it in an online search.

Enjoy the weather in Ely! I know I did when I visited there...enjoyed drinking shots with some locals at the Hotel Nevada too hehe and 1st time I ever played nickel slots -won 400 of them.

Anyway (oh the memories) good luck and hope look forward to knowing of updates/progress on your work.

Pam

Grew up in Orange county CA, boring weather, then Las Vegas, too hot, Then Minnesota, to cold, then Boise, not cold enough, Then Ely a few years back, just right:)
On the lumber I have looked and we have simply "house one on mine", around the corner is house two. Have now gone through half a dozen catalogs from Sears, Montgomery Ward and some other stuff and have not even found anything close to the floor plan much less the house. I understand that the lumbar was often stamped on the end of the wood, so I may find something more yet.
BTW, Craftsman was not really a kit but a housing style and philosphy. Think Bungalow, quarter sawn white oak, simple non-ornate furniture and Gustave Stickley.

GaryB
12-11-2005, 11:45 PM
If you have a 4X, try hooking up with the White Pine 4 Wheelers. They're in Ely. My club in Vegas joins them in July for a big trails run weekend. Both of us are big into historic places for our runs.

LONE GUNMAN
01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Alittle Cold In Ely...heck I Have Seen It Snow In Ruth On The 22 Of June....alot Cold That Country....by The Way Anyone Looking For A House In Ruth...my Parents Have One For Sale...
Lone Gunman

LONE GUNMAN
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
A Little Cold In Ely?... I Have Seen It Snow In Ruth On The 22 Of June...about 8 Inches...alot Cold In Ely...by The Way Anyone Looking For A House In Ruth, My Parents Have One For Sale Along With A Dozen Lots In Cherry Creek.

Lone Gunman

ElyJon
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Lots of people looking for houses in Whitepine, if they have not listed it they should, prices are very good for the seller, if the want to rent it they also could.

A Little Cold In Ely?... I Have Seen It Snow In Ruth On The 22 Of June...about 8 Inches...alot Cold In Ely...by The Way Anyone Looking For A House In Ruth, My Parents Have One For Sale Along With A Dozen Lots In Cherry Creek.

Lone Gunman

Albin
10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Some pics of Tybo from this summer's trip. The school building didn't look all that different than the last time I was up there, which was in the late '80's.

People still live there, so we drove through quietly and left quietly.

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-12-58-10_IMG_1387_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-12-58-36_IMG_1393_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-12-58-52_IMG_1396_Al.JPG_s.jpg

I wonder what the heck is going up there because they had this huge electrical switch gear up there:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-12-59-26_IMG_1400_Al.JPG_s.jpg

GaryB
10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
There is/was/were continuing mining operations up there, as stated by the numerous "No Trespassing" signs coming in and out from both directions. I can't find any info as to exactly what/where/who is currently in charge though.

For the most part, it seems if you just stop and take photos, and not be a PITA you'll be left alone. No one can give you much grief if you stick to the road as it's a right of way.

I was there in July, didn't take any photos though. I was hoping to see if I could get some permission to explore a bit off the road more before going back.

Albin
10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
There is/was/were continuing mining operations up there, as stated by the numerous "No Trespassing" signs coming in and out from both directions. I can't find any info as to exactly what/where/who is currently in charge though.

For the most part, it seems if you just stop and take photos, and not be a PITA you'll be left alone. No one can give you much grief if you stick to the road as it's a right of way.

I was there in July, didn't take any photos though. I was hoping to see if I could get some permission to explore a bit off the road more before going back.

That's interesting, 'cause my son nor I saw any No Trespassing signs, at least not on the main road. We went to just past the building shown above and turned around and came back down. We didn't go past the end of town nor down any side streets or trails.

I didn't see any no trespassing signs when I was up there in the late '80's as I recall either.

David A. Wright
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Have now gone through half a dozen catalogs from Sears, Montgomery Ward and some other stuff and have not even found anything close to the floor plan much less the house.
I used to have a link to it in my favorites, but have changed computers. And it's been a while, so the site I'm referring to may or may not still be online.

A beautiful home in the small town of Big Pine, CA was a Craftsman home (I used to live in that town). A neighbor of mine at the time let me in on its origin. He also gave me the link to an online source of photos of all styles of Craftsman homes through the years they were manufactured. The site featured scans of the original catalogs.

Turned out the house I loved was a variation of a 1911 model.

I don't have the link (it was on an old computer), but a Google search ought to find it or something similar.

GaryB
10-30-2008, 11:58 AM
That's interesting, 'cause my son nor I saw any No Trespassing signs, at least not on the main road.

We went in the last weekend end of July this year. We were coming back from Ely and hitting state historical markers, and I wanted to drive up and see what was what. Just as you entered the canyon, above the cemetery, there was a sign stating the mining operation's name and there were old, faded no trespassing signs. There were one or two others stating all the buildings and mining operations were private property adjacent. According to BLM maps, there is still some private land there mixed in within BLM, so it's hard to know what is who's. But I was told since it was a right of way they couldn't block road access. Unless someone gets on the BLM and they shut the road down like they did in Olinghouse.

My experience is as long as you are not being a jerk, the locals will leave you alone. Especially if all they see you doing is taking pictures.

Alas, I didn't get any pics, but I did stop at the only STOP sign ;)

Albin
11-03-2008, 06:58 AM
And speaking of Tybo, what in the world are they doing at the Base Camp???

It looked like it doubled in size since we were there in 2000, with a lot more residential units that looked brand new. I don't recall seeing any residential (or many) during our 2000 trip. However, all we did was pass through it on our way to Faultless last time as opposed to going up the Tybo road.

Al

GaryB
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
And speaking of Tybo, what in the world are they doing at the Base Camp???

Al

They could tell you, but then they'd have to kill you.

Since they have cut out the nuclear testing, the NTS has been a hot bed of military and energy development, among other things.