PDA

View Full Version : Help

Ghosttowns.com
07-24-2001, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Marie D

: Me and my boyfriend have just recently started searching for Ghost Towns in Oklahoma. I have a book which has the names of Oklahoma towns in them. I am curious as to what actually qualifies a town as a ghost town. There are quite a few towns that had a post office establised for a few years and then discontinued. Does that qualify it as a ghost town or are there other things we need to be looking for? Any information would be greatly appreciated. We have had success in finding two so far, and have found out alot of interesting info about the state, but need the right direction for what we are supposed to be looking for. Thanks!

Ghosttowns.com
07-24-2001, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Saw your post and like a fool figured I'd add my two cents. I suspect that there as many definitions of a ghost town as there are those who seek them. The more encompassing description includes towns that are but "... shadowy semblance of a former self..." to quote Florin. Using such a description Goldfield, Nevada is considered by some to be a ghost town. Goldfield is the county seat of Esmeralda County, has had a Post Office for almost 100 years, has a couple of nifty bars, and yes, a large assortment of unoccupied and decaying buildings. Those that embrace towns like Goldfield may not consider many of the Ghosts I cherish because little, if anything remains. Seeking such ghosts, only an extremely vigilant eye can detect the trace of prior habitation. Still others embrace those places with rumors of ghosts (Hauntings). I say, what ever excites you, a still function shadow of a form glory or only a couple broken shards of glass located after a thirty minute search qualifies. I hope others will offer other opinions. BTW: My passion is locate former camps and settlements in Nevada and I'm sure many would dispute the that there are over 2,000 such Ghosttowns in this one state. Sounds like you and your boyfriend are getting the spirit of diligent research followed by the fun of field work, true ghosttowning to my way of thinking.

Ghosttowns.com
07-24-2001, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Saw your post and like a fool figured I'd add my two cents. I suspect that there as many definitions of a ghost town as there are those who seek them. The more encompassing description includes towns that are but "... shadowy semblance of a former self..." to quote Florin. Using such a description Goldfield, Nevada is considered by some to be a ghost town. Goldfield is the county seat of Esmeralda County, has had a Post Office for almost 100 years, has a couple of nifty bars, and yes, a large assortment of unoccupied and decaying buildings. Those that embrace towns like Goldfield may not consider many of the Ghosts I cherish because little, if anything remains. Seeking such ghosts, only an extremely vigilant eye can detect the trace of prior habitation. Still others embrace those places with rumors of ghosts (Hauntings). I say, what ever excites you, a still function shadow of a form glory or only a couple broken shards of glass located after a thirty minute search qualifies. I hope others will offer other opinions. BTW: My passion is locate former camps and settlements in Nevada and I'm sure many would dispute the that there are over 2,000 such Ghosttowns in this one state. Sounds like you and your boyfriend are getting the spirit of diligent research followed by the fun of field work, true ghosttowning to my way of thinking.

: I'm not sure why you consider yourself "a fool" for posting your response, but I thought you did a very good job. Having said that, I would only disagree with one aspect, and add one other. I realize that you brought ghosts, emanations, spirits, specters, etc. into it because you said, "a ghost town is really what a person feels it is, or words to that effect. Actually, I believe the pure topic of this particular venue is "ghost towns, which are a shadow of their former selves", Nothing more. That brings me to the part that I would add, if only for some clarification. GT's are classified into categories, A thru E, plus F. They are: A) BARREN SITE, NOTHING LEFT BUT PERHAPS A MARKER; B) SITE WITH RUBBLE AND/OR ROOFLESS BUILDINGS; C) MANY STANDING ABANDONED, ROOFED BUILDINGS, NO POPULATION [BODIE, CA FOR EXAMPLE]; D) SEMI/NEAR GHOST, SMALL RESIDENT POPULATION, MANY ABANDONED BUILDINGS; E) BUSY HISTORIC COMMUNITY, YET STILL MUCH SMALLER THAN ITS BOOM DAYS....AND F) USUALLY A STATE PARK RESTORED TOWN, OR A TOWN WITH SOME OTHER ADDITIONAL STATUS. These categories were NOT deised by me, but were listed by a webmaster on another gt website, like "Ghost Towns of the U.S." bb.

:

Ghosttowns.com
08-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Marie

: :

: : : Saw your post and like a fool figured I'd add my two cents. I suspect that there as many definitions of a ghost town as there are those who seek them. The more encompassing description includes towns that are but "... shadowy semblance of a former self..." to quote Florin. Using such a description Goldfield, Nevada is considered by some to be a ghost town. Goldfield is the county seat of Esmeralda County, has had a Post Office for almost 100 years, has a couple of nifty bars, and yes, a large assortment of unoccupied and decaying buildings. Those that embrace towns like Goldfield may not consider many of the Ghosts I cherish because little, if anything remains. Seeking such ghosts, only an extremely vigilant eye can detect the trace of prior habitation. Still others embrace those places with rumors of ghosts (Hauntings). I say, what ever excites you, a still function shadow of a form glory or only a couple broken shards of glass located after a thirty minute search qualifies. I hope others will offer other opinions. BTW: My passion is locate former camps and settlements in Nevada and I'm sure many would dispute the that there are over 2,000 such Ghosttowns in this one state. Sounds like you and your boyfriend are getting the spirit of diligent research followed by the fun of field work, true ghosttowning to my way of thinking.

: : I'm not sure why you consider yourself "a fool" for posting your response, but I thought you did a very good job. Having said that, I would only disagree with one aspect, and add one other. I realize that you brought ghosts, emanations, spirits, specters, etc. into it because you said, "a ghost town is really what a person feels it is, or words to that effect. Actually, I believe the pure topic of this particular venue is "ghost towns, which are a shadow of their former selves", Nothing more. That brings me to the part that I would add, if only for some clarification. GT's are classified into categories, A thru E, plus F. They are: A) BARREN SITE, NOTHING LEFT BUT PERHAPS A MARKER; B) SITE WITH RUBBLE AND/OR ROOFLESS BUILDINGS; C) MANY STANDING ABANDONED, ROOFED BUILDINGS, NO POPULATION [BODIE, CA FOR EXAMPLE]; D) SEMI/NEAR GHOST, SMALL RESIDENT POPULATION, MANY ABANDONED BUILDINGS; E) BUSY HISTORIC COMMUNITY, YET STILL MUCH SMALLER THAN ITS BOOM DAYS....AND F) USUALLY A STATE PARK RESTORED TOWN, OR A TOWN WITH SOME OTHER ADDITIONAL STATUS. These categories were NOT deised by me, but were listed by a webmaster on another gt website, like "Ghost Towns of the U.S." bb.

: :

: Thanks you guys, that gives me a better understanding of it all. I really do appreciate it. Thanks. Another thing, have any of you ever done any ghost towning in Oklahoma? and if you have do you have any you think would be great to visit and research? Thanks Bad Bob and Another Bob!!!!!!!!:)

Ghosttowns.com
08-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Sorry, Almost all my ghosttown experience is in Nevada and nearby states. I'd suggest checking out older maps (RR and trail), census data, and just for grins, chase down the location of early post offices. The USGS GNIS server could help (A little)! The research and re-discovery is half the fun. Try the URL, select Oklahoma, select Post Office as a Feature, pick a county (I tried Cimmaron) and found 49 historical PO which the USGS doesn't know exactly where they were, That's a probable ghost-towns in just one county! It gives you an name which is a heck of a start! Good hunting Enjoy! --YAB