PDA

View Full Version : Brunckow Cabin, southern Arizona

Smokepole
12-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Brunckow Cabin (and Hill) west of Tombstone, east of the San Pedro River, south of Charleston Road, may be old hat to many of you, but I was a first-timer there on Christmas Day.
Because most of the area is off limits to people who aren't property owners in the region (or aren't "authorized administrative users"), I explored the whole site on foot.
Frederick Brunckow, native of Prussia, struck silver here in 1858. Two years later he was found murdered -- his body thrown down a mine shaft.
In the 1870s, Ed Schieffelin, founder of Tombstone, used Brunckow's cabin's fireplace to melt ores for assaying. Then he, too, struck it rich.
Today all that's left of the cabin are a few adobe and concrete walls on a hillock, but in its heyday at least two dozen miners, and perhaps family members, lived in proximity.
There still are quite a few open shafts (fenced, and with warning signs) in the immediate vicinity. One big tailings dam is adjacent to the main shaft.
To the southeast of the cabin lies Brunckow Hill, elevation 4,470 feet. It's the highest close prominence in that direction, although the majestic Huachuca Mountains rise further south and east.
I turned my whole expeditionary trip into a 6-7-mile overland bushwhacking walk that included hoofing it to the top of Brunckow Hill. Views from up there are extraordinary.
To this thread I attach the maximum five images allowed, but I have lots more if anyone is interested. I can also provide more detailed access directions.

"The secret to surviving in Vietnam is to walk slowly and drink plenty of ice water." -- 1st Sgt Henry Ansley Ulm, K Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines, 1966.

Sunrise
12-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the pics!

I met the current owner and he told me when he bought his nearby ranch, the cabin had walls windows and roof. The cabin was stripped by a man living down the road, east towards Tombstone, he used the items to build a shed on his property. What a shame. It certainly is one of the most important sites regards to Tombstone history.

bob3 was bob2
01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Seems these sites disappear so fast! It's great to see others getting out there and getting some nice photos before they are gone for good.

Digger
04-27-2013, 10:27 AM
I was at this site around April 14 and was standing on the foundation in the first pick, but time was short and I didn't get to the cabin itself because it was getting dark. I wish I had. I was stumped that the foundation looked like concrete with anchor bolts visible. Didn't know this technology was around back then