PDA

View Full Version : 79 Mine, Arizona

matt@expaz
12-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Has anyone ever been to the 79 Mine in Arizona? It's just north of Hayden. The pictures from Google Earth look awesome, but the info I found says there's a locked gate. Not sure where it's locked and if it's motor travel restricted or private property. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Toysx2
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
There is a locked gate and it is private property. The gate is located in a narrow part of the road below the mine. The owner, as a couple of years ago lived in Tucson. I do not know what his policy is for visitors. Since I grew up in the area, he allowed me to walk around.
Other photos of my visit to that mine and others in the area can be seen at:

www.azbackcountryadventures.com/mineshay.htm (http://www.azbackcountryadventures.com/mineshay.htm)

speedy
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
super cool......Speedy

matt@expaz
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Toysx2,

That's what I thought. Something that nice had to be on private property. Thanks for the info. Is everything else on from that trip on private property also?

Toysx2
01-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Matt, except for the old mine on the reservation, I really do not know the ownership status at the other locations. But I have never heard of any issues visitng them. They are all on roads/trails used by local 4wheelers and atv'ers. There are no gates and I certainly do not recall any signs to "keep out " or "no trespassing".

Associated with the 79 mine, but a couple of miles south is a set of springs that were once the water source for the mining operation. There is an interesting old pump still there and a couple of old engines. Water was piped from there up to the mine. In later years, water was piped in from even farther away.

bob3 was bob2
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Nice photos and site Toys! You guys have some real gems out there in Arizona!