PDA

View Full Version : OLINGHOUSE AND RECENT EMAIL RECEIVED- - USE CAUTION

Ghosttowns.com
08-25-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Guy Zachary

: Hi everyone,

: I am not sure why all of a sudden I have received a couple of emails regarding Olinghouse Nevada, but none the less I have and it is bothering me and very alarming at the same time. Some of you may not be aware of all the problems about entering Olinghouse originally,to make the story short Zachary and I where basically told to leave, but with other ghosters we received permission to enter, which was months ago. So this even confuses me even more. Below is the recent email I received today, and my response, PLEASE TAKE CAUTION IF YOU PLAN TO VISIT THIS TOWN!!!!!!!!! I WOULD ADVISE YOU GET PERMISSION IN ADVANCE AND TAKE NO CHANCES!!!!

: EMAIL RECEIVED:

: --- target <mfanning@accupart.com> wrote: > guy and zak if I catch you or your fellow Ghosttowners > trespassers at olinghouse in the underground > workings or in any of the privately owned structures > or on the private land you will be arrested. How > stupid can one be to trespass on some one else's > private property and to go into abandoned mine > workings.

: OUR REPLY:

: Thanks for your concern, I think you are very mistaken about a lot, #1, we did not trespass, #2 we where given permission to enter into Olinghouse by the property owner!, #3 We where their with a group of other fellow historical ghost towns enthusiasts, #4 We where their many months ago, Already. Any information that you may have read other than at our web site, is either outdated or long past and never happened, based on our use of better judgment. The only time their was any conflict regarding Olinghouse or "trespass" was when we originally went to visit the historical site, without any awareness that is was private property, especially since Olinghouse is listed with the State of Nevada Historical Society and is to have a historical Marker which someone has removed without permission. Once Originally confronted my son and I where confused, but did leave without incident, and then worked with a group of individuals to obtain further information regarding the location and obtained permission to enter and explore. As far as arresting me? you must have no trespass signs posted, clearly marked off limits etc... and if their is a public access road that is maintained by the county or state, this makes the road public, NOT PRIVATE!!, so good luck to you. Geeeeesssshhhh another hot head!!!! Get your head out of your BUTT, besides we did not take anything, nor did we wish to take anything, nor did we intend to take anything, it simply was a viewing and photo exploration as with every town that we visit. Thanks for assuming the worse without all the facts!!! Guy and Zack

Ghosttowns.com
08-25-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Cactusman

: You may want to save that e-mail address. If it can be linked to the guy that you met on your first trip, you may have legal action you can take. Where some states allow firearms to be carried, there are very strict laws concerning "Brandishing a firearm". A firearm can be brandished with never having left the holster. I'm not saying this to make trouble but some folks just need to learn how to act... especially around children. (I'm making an assumption about your son) The sooner some folks learn that there are consiquences to thier actions, the better off we will all be.

Ghosttowns.com
08-25-2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Guy and Zachary

: : You may want to save that e-mail address. If it can be linked to the guy that you met on your first trip, you may have legal action you can take. Where some states allow firearms to be carried, there are very strict laws concerning "Brandishing a firearm". A firearm can be brandished with never having left the holster. I'm not saying this to make trouble but some folks just need to learn how to act... especially around children. (I'm making an assumption about your son) The sooner some folks learn that there are consiquences to thier actions, the better off we will all be.

: Cactus, you are right some people never learn and my son still to this day remembers that afternoon when we where run out of town. I have tried to make it joke with him and laugh about it as we eventually where able to go in any ways, but none the less it is totally wrong on how we where treated and threatend.

: I have kept the email and am waiting to see if I recieve any further messages from either this individual or anyone else.

: It appears that I have become the "target" because I was the one that started the fire, so to speak. OH Well!!! I just think that their should be no entry restrictions to ghosttowns as they are part of our history and will fight for our right if their is a means legally and under no circumstances should a child have to be put in that kind of situation, even if the mistake was my fault. It was not like we we where taking anything, we where simply looking, and it was just him and I. Totally over reactionary on thier part.

: I must admit that I was originally very upset, and was willing to take the "possie" in their and take over the town, but of course my better judgement and with the aid of other prevented that from having to take place.

: Thanks for the support and just wanted others to be aware of the dangers of OLINGHOUSE.

: Guy and Little Zachary

Ghosttowns.com
08-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Dirk

: : You may want to save that e-mail address. If it can be linked to the guy that you met on your first trip, you may have legal action you can take. Where some states allow firearms to be carried, there are very strict laws concerning "Brandishing a firearm". A firearm can be brandished with never having left the holster. I'm not saying this to make trouble but some folks just need to learn how to act... especially around children. (I'm making an assumption about your son) The sooner some folks learn that there are consiquences to thier actions, the better off we will all be.

: Could it be, Bad Bob???

Ghosttowns.com
08-25-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : : You may want to save that e-mail address. If it can be linked to the guy that you met on your first trip, you may have legal action you can take. Where some states allow firearms to be carried, there are very strict laws concerning "Brandishing a firearm". A firearm can be brandished with never having left the holster. I'm not saying this to make trouble but some folks just need to learn how to act... especially around children. (I'm making an assumption about your son) The sooner some folks learn that there are consiquences to thier actions, the better off we will all be.

: : Could it be, Bad Bob???

: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha moron ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....oh that ...thaaaaaat's hilarious.

: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
08-26-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Cactusman

: Ok guys, I've been quiet about the flamewar up to now, but I think its time to get involved. Where I may not always agree with the ways that Bad Bob expesses himself, the fact is that very few people here have actually bothered to get to know him. Although I have only traded a few e-mails with him, I have come to the conclusion that I like him. I have traded a few e-mails with him and he has always been civil and respectful to me. I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody, but lets say we put an end to all the bickering here. This is a great board and I would like to see it stay that way. If I have offended anybody, I apollogize ahead of time, but I've had enough. To all those who have been civil, I'm sorry for my outburst. I felt it was needed.

g.e. mason
12-22-2005, 05:30 AM
hello everybody i just found this site and it has piqued my curiosity. my father and his partner put those containers in that shaft back when i was between10 and 15 yrs old. i am 39 now and would like permisson to come out and tour the white horse canyon mine. last i remember my dads partner al cabanny had a cabin with a huge front porch on the site. i still remember the three of us setting charges then going in the next day to haul out ore! al had seven white poodles who were always there. by the way, i know whats in those containers. respectfuully, g.e. mason

NME
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Good luck going up there.

NME

phoenix_395
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, my fiance and I were just on the road to Olinghouse yesterday (January 1st) and there was a newer sign up with a couple of phone numbers on it. One was apparently for the BLM office, and the other we weren't sure who or where it was for. We wrote down both numbers just in case and since we STILL could not access the old town we drove home.

Jump forward to this morning... I decided that I was going to call that second number and find out who it was for just in case we could gain permission to enter the town by calling. Nobody picked up, but the machine said that we had reached Mitch at Target Minerals. So not only do we now think we know who your mysterious threatener was, but we're fairly certain that he's closed the town property for his own personal mining use, hoping to get all the gold that is left out by himself or something like that.

Just in case you're all wondering what that number is... it's (775)772-8285. I'm only posting it here in the hopes that we're all courteous and won't flood his voicemail with calls or even threats, okay?

Rockcrusher
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
According to the GeoCommunicator NILS website, Olinghouse is, in fact, private property. There are a number of active mining claims in and around Olinghouse, both on the private properties and the surrounding BLM land.

GeoCommunicator (http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/index.shtm) can be a little complicated to navigate but there's a lot of information there.

brian2372
03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
this isnt a spooky GT its a few miles out of fernley, nv. and just outside of wadsworth off the piute reservation.the townsite reverted back to the original owners after a bankrupcy in the late 80's early 90's by a gold mining co.theres still a lot of wire gold there but due to mis manegment it never made big money .there is only a few old houses left there that are privatley owned.my nehbor went to school with the guy that owns it now and hes a nice guy weve ridden dirtbikes through there a few times up to the mountians above it.you can actualy connect to wilcox ranch road out of palimino valley from there.as far as i know theres a sign at the gate now that says thats its private prop. and if you want access through there contact the BLM and tell them to build a road around it.there is only a couple of houses left there on the road and they look more like there from the 1950's and then the big building above that where the owner lives ,this is a active mine and he seemed like a nice guy but then the guy i was riding with knew him.the road leaving olinghouse up to wilcox ranch road was rough at best and i doubt weather anything more than a dirtbike could have made it.sooner or later iam going to transfer some vidio tape to dvd my dad has of olinghouse and other GT's to dvd and put some pictures up from the late 70's early 80's.there all in black and white but oh well.

reno4x4
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I explored Olinghouse a couple years ago. I enter it from the east along Olinghouse road. On google earth I noticed that there is a road entering from the south. Has anyone used this road and is there "no trespassing" signs on this road?

Also, are these the containers that g.e. mason talked about?

kevinkingair
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I work with Mitch's cousin at Simuflite in Dallas. Just talked to him, he said they have had some trouble with trespassers so they have had to close the property. It is private property. Mitch and his family own several mining claims there and are actively working the mines.

GaryB
06-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I can confirm the closure, as I was there in April looking for the state historical marker that was supposed to be there. I knew before hand it was likely closed off, but wanted to really see for myself.

There was a sign to contact the BLM about creating a new road to bypass the area so outdoors men, hunters, etc could access the area to the West and North that the main road through gave them.

As for the sign, we never found it. There's rumors it was taken down and moved to Gerlach, but no confirmation is legit. There was an extra sign there with the content plaque removed, but if it was the old Olinghouse sign, it was illegally moved. Seems they could easily just relocate the sign to the highway turn off.