PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland Mountains Utah

Ghosttowns.com
09-13-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ryan crockett

: I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

Ghosttowns.com
09-13-2001, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

: There is 1 pic, and short history of town listed as "Terrace" on the Utah page at this site. No directions though.

: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
09-14-2001, 01:09 PM

: : Thanks for the info, but the Terrace posted on this site is in a different location that Boston Terrace.

: : : I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

: : There is 1 pic, and short history of town listed as "Terrace" on the Utah page at this site. No directions though.

: : bb.

Ghosttowns.com
09-19-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Pubah

: Boston Terrace was the camp for the miners working in the Boston, and the Boston Terrace Mines on the west side of the New Foundland Mountains. George Thompson, who wrote "Some Dreams Die" worked in the 1950's in the Newfoundland Mountain area and seemed to be quite familiar with the area. He also wrote a little longer article on the area, with more on Boston Terrace, in either Frontier Times or True West (late 1960's or early 1970's) I can't find my copy of the article so I can't tell you the exact issue or date. There is also a very good artricle on the Newfoundland Mtns. in the May 30, 1924 issue of the Salt Lake Mining Review, if you can get your hands on a copy. In that article it talks about a mining camp named Knowltonburg around the SW corner of the range in the 1870's. I wonder if Boston Terrace and Knowltonburg were the same place??

: To get there I have always heard that along the railroad track right-of-way was the best. I have heard of people getting bogged down if they try and cross the salt flats to it.

: By the way, Have you ever heard of a small mining camp named Rosebud in Box Elder Co., UT in the 1870's? It was located about 18 miles NW of Terrace (the other ghost town)

: ghosttown Bob (Pubah

: : : Thanks for the info, but the Terrace posted on this site is in a different location that Boston Terrace.

: : : : I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

: : : There is 1 pic, and short history of town listed as "Terrace" on the Utah page at this site. No directions though.

: : : bb.

Ghosttowns.com
09-27-2001, 06:50 PM

: thanks for the info. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for driving on the railroad property when I go out there. I've never heard of Rosebud.

:

: : Boston Terrace was the camp for the miners working in the Boston, and the Boston Terrace Mines on the west side of the New Foundland Mountains. George Thompson, who wrote "Some Dreams Die" worked in the 1950's in the Newfoundland Mountain area and seemed to be quite familiar with the area. He also wrote a little longer article on the area, with more on Boston Terrace, in either Frontier Times or True West (late 1960's or early 1970's) I can't find my copy of the article so I can't tell you the exact issue or date. There is also a very good artricle on the Newfoundland Mtns. in the May 30, 1924 issue of the Salt Lake Mining Review, if you can get your hands on a copy. In that article it talks about a mining camp named Knowltonburg around the SW corner of the range in the 1870's. I wonder if Boston Terrace and Knowltonburg were the same place??

: : To get there I have always heard that along the railroad track right-of-way was the best. I have heard of people getting bogged down if they try and cross the salt flats to it.

: : By the way, Have you ever heard of a small mining camp named Rosebud in Box Elder Co., UT in the 1870's? It was located about 18 miles NW of Terrace (the other ghost town)

: : ghosttown Bob (Pubah

: : : : Thanks for the info, but the Terrace posted on this site is in a different location that Boston Terrace.

: : : : : I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

: : : : There is 1 pic, and short history of town listed as "Terrace" on the Utah page at this site. No directions though.

: : : : bb.

Ghosttowns.com
04-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by carl

: : I read in a book called Some Dreams Die about a ghost town called Boston Terrace in the Newfoundland Mountains on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I would like to know the best route to take. I've heard that you have to use the road that follows the train tracks from either Lucin or Lakeshore, and that the railroad doesn't like people driving on that road. I'd also like to see any pictures or get any recent info on the ghost town or the general area.

: Last time I was in Lucin it was torn down and fenced off by the railroad, So I don't know how far you can follow the tracks.

VegasRat74
10-12-2008, 08:41 AM
I absolutly loved that book growing up. My family owns property in the Park Valley area so I have explored this area extensively.
Another route to the New Foundland Mountains is from Kelton, just south of Kelton the road forks. Turn right to stay with the railroad grade or turn left to head south. Continue to head south and be prepared, its a long way to go. At the south end of the Hogup mountains you will come to a junction, again, turn left (south). Eventually you will come to the railroad tracks. Turn right and follow the tracks, 12 miles down the road there is a place that you can cross the tracks and get to the New Foundlands. There is an old mine that you can virtually drive straight up to when you arrive. This is commonly called Boston Terrace, however there is no proof that this is correct. Please be careful as there is a very large open shaft that goes straight down and the depth is unknown, easily over 100 feet.

If you stay on the west side of the mountains and travel to the south there is another spot way up on the mountain side. There is an old stone cabin with mines in the area.

Travel around the north end and the proceed south along the east side the road will come to a spot where is breifly comes to the salt flats as it rounds a ridge on the mountain. Just on the other side a small road forks to the right. This is a very rough road. Follow it all the way to the end and you come to another mine. A few shacks, some old vehicles and a large ore cart dump or chute. The cables that the ore carts road on are still in place. You can hike up the canyon and find a place were an old winch is still there. Across the canyon there is another large ore cart dumping chute. The cable is still in place there and the ore cart is still hanging on it.

I have explored the New Foundland mountains for many years, I have been to the bombing range fence on both sides of the mountain. There are stories about cabins that have remained locked for 100 years or so that are still out there, stories of other mines, I have never found any of these things. I have found 3 mining sites, possibly a 4th, thats all.

Go and enjoy the mountains, but go prepared and be careful.