PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ruby, AZ

Abuhannibal
01-09-2013, 04:47 AM
Folks,

Am planning to go to Ruby next month (early feb.) The info I've seen on the web says that it can be done in a regular car; can anyone who's been there recently confirm this? I usually go 4x4 but may have to 'cheap it out' this time. Also if anyone knows of a way I can contact the caretaker in advance that would be great. Many thanks!

- Bob

Froggy
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Try this Clicky (http://tucsoncitizen.com/southern-arizona-guide/2012/03/06/a-trip-to-the-ghost-town-of-ruby-az/)

Abuhannibal
01-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Awesome, many thanks!!! Will report back when I get there (about 4 weeks from now.)

Smokepole
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Savvy advice from Froggy. Also visit desertleaf.com, website of a Tucson magazine named the Desert Leaf. Once on the site, click it open, proceed to the table of contents and look for the article titled Taking Care of Ruby that begins on page 32. This will tell you a bit about the current on-site caretaker, Michael Thistle (and his dog Kaida -- he says it means Little Dragon in Japanese). If you have the chance, do camp out on the tailings dam adjacent to the first small pond. Take your own firewood. It's a great base of operations from which to wander among the town's buildings/diggings and get photos.

Men is only good for two things...and one of 'em's changin' tires -- Ma Meeks, Jerome, Idaho, 1982

Abuhannibal
01-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Smokepole, many thanks, this is super-helpful!

Leonids
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm planning on going there this weekend. Did you make your trip yet?