PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town suggestions with Chinese mining history

chihsin
08-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a ghost town suggestion for two "beginners," particularly one with a history of Chinese settlements. I'm fascinated with the Old West, so we're trying to hustle as fast as we can past Chicago from NYC.

Our rough itinerary will follow the northern route along route 90, until we cut south through Yellowstone to route 80. Hopefully the destinations below can serve as a point of reference.

Chicago, IL
Badlands National Park, SD
Custer State Park, SD
Montana (hopefully!)
Boiling River (in Yellowstone)
Grand Tetons National Park
Salt Lake City, UT
Reno, NV
San Francisco

Let us know what is possible in our humble Corolla! :) Thanks for your time.

El Burro Camaro
08-25-2013, 04:28 AM
There is a fairly major one right on your route near Reno....the good old Comstock Lode Virgina City. Seriously if you want to see mining/ghosttown anything go there from Reno. Also do yourself a favor and follow US 50 into California instead of I-80 so you can see the scenic road past Lake Tahoe. Might be worth a foray for you to also take US 50 out of Utah and follow it all the way through Nevada. They call US 50 in Nevada Loneliest Road in America for a reason but it is riddled with all Nevada mining Ghost Towns.

Basically follow I-15 south of out Salt Lake City to US 6. US 6 will eventually merge with US 50 heading west towards Nevada, but it passes through another good mining town/ghost town in Utah called Eureka. As you enter Nevada make sure you stop at Great Basin National Park in the Snake Range about 6 miles in. From Baker to Fallon its about 320 miles and the only major town is Ely in between the two, make sure to gas up there. From Fallon you can take SR 828 to I-80 and Fernley which will lead you to Reno near the state line. Look up the Nevada section of US 50, like I said its riddled with tons of ghost towns.

If you something of a road historian and want to see the Bonneville Salt Flats instead of Eureka, you're in luck because US 50 originally followed US 40 across the Salt Flats to Nevada on the Lincoln Highway. The original alignment of US 50 follows I-80 from Salt Lake City to US 93A south from West Wendover, NV to US 93 south to Ely, NV. Either alignment of US 50 you take will eventually lead you to Ely, the rest of the route I described above is the same. Some of the more notable ghost towns along the way are Ruth, Eureka (NV), Austin and Berlin.

For Reno to Virginia City take US 395/I-580 (not sure what this is officially called now since they are building the freeway) south towards Carson City. Get off and SR 341 into the mountains to Virginia City which as I mentioned previously is an ESSENTIAL mining and ghost town experience. Virginia City also has the Chinese Mining history that you are looking; one of the most extensive actually.

To resume your route into California albeit the scenic way take SR 342 out of Virginia City to its southern terminus at US 50. Take US through Carson City, past Lake Tahoe and over the state line into California. US 50 will allow you access to I-5 and I-80 in Sacramento so you can take your preferred route of choice on to San Francisco. My personal suggestion would be to take I-80 to CA-37 over to US 101. Reason being is that you can see the Muir Woods National Monument (Redwoods) and cross the Golden Gate Bridge heading into San Francisco.

chihsin
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your helpful reply! We will be definitely taking route 50 instead of I-80 now. I had no idea!

My boyfriend wants to see the Bonneville Salt Flats, so we might take I-80 until route 93 to route 50. But I'll definitely check out your Nevada recommendations.

Thanks again!

There is a fairly major one right on your route near Reno....the good old Comstock Lode Virgina City. Seriously if you want to see mining/ghosttown anything go there from Reno. Also do yourself a favor and follow US 50 into California instead of I-80 so you can see the scenic road past Lake Tahoe. Might be worth a foray for you to also take US 50 out of Utah and follow it all the way through Nevada. They call US 50 in Nevada Loneliest Road in America for a reason but it is riddled with all Nevada mining Ghost Towns.

Basically follow I-15 south of out Salt Lake City to US 6. US 6 will eventually merge with US 50 heading west towards Nevada, but it passes through another good mining town/ghost town in Utah called Eureka. As you enter Nevada make sure you stop at Great Basin National Park in the Snake Range about 6 miles in. From Baker to Fallon its about 320 miles and the only major town is Ely in between the two, make sure to gas up there. From Fallon you can take SR 828 to I-80 and Fernley which will lead you to Reno near the state line. Look up the Nevada section of US 50, like I said its riddled with tons of ghost towns.

If you something of a road historian and want to see the Bonneville Salt Flats instead of Eureka, you're in luck because US 50 originally followed US 40 across the Salt Flats to Nevada on the Lincoln Highway. The original alignment of US 50 follows I-80 from Salt Lake City to US 93A south from West Wendover, NV to US 93 south to Ely, NV. Either alignment of US 50 you take will eventually lead you to Ely, the rest of the route I described above is the same. Some of the more notable ghost towns along the way are Ruth, Eureka (NV), Austin and Berlin.

For Reno to Virginia City take US 395/I-580 (not sure what this is officially called now since they are building the freeway) south towards Carson City. Get off and SR 341 into the mountains to Virginia City which as I mentioned previously is an ESSENTIAL mining and ghost town experience. Virginia City also has the Chinese Mining history that you are looking; one of the most extensive actually.

To resume your route into California albeit the scenic way take SR 342 out of Virginia City to its southern terminus at US 50. Take US through Carson City, past Lake Tahoe and over the state line into California. US 50 will allow you access to I-5 and I-80 in Sacramento so you can take your preferred route of choice on to San Francisco. My personal suggestion would be to take I-80 to CA-37 over to US 101. Reason being is that you can see the Muir Woods National Monument (Redwoods) and cross the Golden Gate Bridge heading into San Francisco.

Mustang John
08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Quite a few of the towns in the Mother Lode area of California, along CA SR-49, have Chinese sections in their museums. The town of Placerville (formerly Hangtown) is right on Highway 50 and Coloma (site of Sutter's Mill) is nearby. While searching for a suggestion of a Chinese mining camp in California, I read about the little town of Locke, CA. www.locketown.com (http://www.locketown.com) It was started in the early 20th century, a National Historical Site and according to their website, the only town in the United States built by Chinese for Chinese to inhabit. Although it has no Chinese mining history, it seems to have several small museums housed in the original buildings of the town, that tell the history of the Chinese people in California. The town is located about mid-way between Sacramento and Stockton, West of I-5 (about 30 minutes South of Sacramento). It might be worth a side trip to you, if you have the time to do it.

TreasureKurt
09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
While in Utah, particularly near the Bonneville Salt Flats, consider a detour to the Transcontinental Railroad & Lucin. There are dozens of rail road ghost towns along the abandoned rail, many of which relied on Chinese labor to build.

Transcontinental Info: http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/the-transcontinental-railroad/

Lucin Ghost Town: http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3056