PDA

View Full Version : Big Headache trying To Locate Lone Star Mine, Lone Star Canyon, AZ.

win22250
06-08-2014, 04:50 PM
I've been pulling out all the stops trying to locate the old Lone Star Mine located in Lone Star Canyon, AZ. This is the mine originally worked by Sam Donnelly and company from Sunnyside, AZ. The other mine they worked was the near by Copper Glance Mine. The town of Sunnyside and it's Cemetery are easy enough to locate. So is the Copper Glance Mine. What's been impossible is find are the GPS coordinates for the original Lone Star Mine. That is where Sam Donnelly and his partner are buried in unmarked graves.
The best directions I've been able to come up with is the mine is 3 miles S.E. of the town of Sunnyside. Basically that is a needle in a haystack chance of finding it. Any help would be much appreciated!

teds280z
06-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Have you tried Google Earth, maybe mapquest, library old books and maybe BLM.

win22250
06-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Have you tried Google Earth, maybe mapquest, library old books and maybe BLM.

Yes I have tried all the above. Thanks for asking.

40FORDJIM
06-11-2014, 01:57 PM
This is what mindat.org came up with:

Latitude: 31°49'59"N
Longitude: 110°22'15"W

Tad
06-13-2014, 04:28 AM
Page 27: http://mines.az.gov/DigitalLibrary/usbm_mla/USBM_MLA_129-82.pdf

That pretty much corresponds with the above post from 40FORDJIM.
Not sure if there will be access as that is now on the back side of Kartchner Caverns State Park.
It's close enough I'd be willing to go take a look once we get back to cooler temps.

win22250
06-14-2014, 01:23 PM
The original Lone Star Mine I'm looking for is approximately 3 miles South East from the ghost town of Sunnyside. It should be near the old Wakefield Mine in the Lone Mountain area. It will be the needle in the haystack to locate without better coordinates. Thanks for looking you two!

Tad
06-16-2014, 05:44 AM
From this thread: http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invision/index.php?/topic/166944-cochise-county-prospecting-specifically-ash-canyon/ (post 12).

COCHISE WAKEFIELD MINE 31.4044 -110.3481 MILLER PEAK 7.5 MIN CU AU AG CU PB

win22250
06-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks Tad, that puts me in the general area. Being that it was never a big producing mine will make it a difficult find. I'll try and draw a search area radius and go with that.

40FORDJIM
06-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Here's directions to the Copper Glance Mine. I think Sam Donnellson was involved in this one and his Lone Star Mine was nearby. What do you think?

Directions to Copper Glance Mine:
Drive towards Sunnyside town site on FR 228, past the turnoff to Sunnyside Cemetery. Turn right at T junction on road marked “Sunnyside Canyon and Copper Glance Mine.” FR 204. Go 1.8 miles. A road on the left goes .7 miles to the start of the Sunnyside Canyon hiking trail. It is 3.5 miles to hike to Copper Glance Mine.

40FORDJIM
06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
OOPS ! Should say Sam Donnelly.........

win22250
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Here's directions to the Copper Glance Mine. I think Sam Donnellson was involved in this one and his Lone Star Mine was nearby. What do you think?

Directions to Copper Glance Mine:

Drive towards Sunnyside town site on FR 228, past the turnoff to Sunnyside Cemetery. Turn right at T junction on road marked “Sunnyside Canyon and Copper Glance Mine.” FR 204. Go 1.8 miles. A road on the left goes .7 miles to the start of the Sunnyside Canyon hiking trail. It is 3.5 miles to hike to Copper Glance Mine.

Absolutely correct. The Copper Glance Mine was Sam Donnelly's main income at that time. Getting to the Copper Glance is a nice hike in the Fall with clearly marked trails. In 1898 the mine filled with water after striking an underground spring. They were never able to get the water to recede so that ended work at the Copper Glance. The upper and lower main buildings at the Copper Glance were dismantled and the materials were used to help build the town of Sunnyside. The folks living up at the Copper Glance moved down and built the small town of Sunnyside later that year. Sam Donnelly resided at the Lone Star. The Lone Star Mine came later. It never produced enough for the folks living at Sunnyside to survive on. They eventually depended on their saw mill for income, later even that fell through. Sam Donnelly is buried in an unmarked grave at the Lone Star Mine. Some say he was buried with a pole sticking up from the grave where his mouth was, so he would be able to speak with God in his after life.
Yes the Lone Star is nearby, roughly 3 miles S.E. of Sunnyside. That is the most credible information I have been able to find. More than likely I'll have to go hunting and with some luck might find the area.

win22250
04-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Absolutely correct. The Copper Glance Mine was Sam Donnelly's main income at that time. Getting to the Copper Glance is a nice hike in the Fall with clearly marked trails. In 1898 the mine filled with water after striking an underground spring. They were never able to get the water to recede so that ended work at the Copper Glance. The upper and lower main buildings at the Copper Glance were dismantled and the materials were used to help build the town of Sunnyside. The folks living up at the Copper Glance moved down and built the small town of Sunnyside later that year. Sam Donnelly resided at the Lone Star. The Lone Star Mine came later. It never produced enough for the folks living at Sunnyside to survive on. They eventually depended on their saw mill for income, later even that fell through. Sam Donnelly is buried in an unmarked grave at the Lone Star Mine. Some say he was buried with a pole sticking up from the grave where his mouth was, so he would be able to speak with God in his after life.
Yes the Lone Star is nearby, roughly 3 miles S.E. of Sunnyside. That is the most credible information I have been able to find. More than likely I'll have to go hunting and with some luck might find the area.

Does anyone know if you can go from the Sunnyside ghost town in Cochise County to the Copper Glance Mine by use of an ATV? There seems to be conflicting reports. Thanks in advance. JB

Toysx2
04-08-2015, 05:43 AM
Does anyone know if you can go from the Sunnyside ghost town in Cochise County to the Copper Glance Mine by use of an ATV? There seems to be conflicting reports. Thanks in advance. JB

It appears that the Copper Glance Mine and the trail to it from Sunnyside are in the Miller Peak Wilderness