PDA

View Full Version : Idaho ghost towns

Ghosttowns.com
11-02-1998, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Ralph and Kristen

: Just begining to explore ghost towns, want to explore towns
: in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?
: Is anyone else going exploring, please let us know, & so maybe we can
: meet somewheres. Kristen & I have worked hard all our lives
: just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.
: photography, outdoors, exploring. Is there a ghost town rally
: going on anywhere in the near future, we will drive to just
: about anywhere with 12 hours of Boise. Adios, loving life
: once again.......keep on trucking....

Ghosttowns.com
11-02-1998, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bob stelow

:
: : Just begining to explore ghost towns, want to explore towns
: : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?
: : Is anyone else going exploring, please let us know, & so maybe we can
: : meet somewheres. Kristen & I have worked hard all our lives
: : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.
: : photography, outdoors, exploring. Is there a ghost town rally
: : going on anywhere in the near future, we will drive to just
: : about anywhere with 12 hours of Boise. Adios, loving life
: : once again.......keep on trucking....

: Ralph & Kristen,
: I'm betting Boise has a very nice library with copy machines where you can photocopy maps to old ghost towns. All of the gt books i've seen have at least short histories, and maps to the towns within. These are at bookstores, coin shops, thrift stores, etc. Forest Service maps
: are usually the best since they're more detailed.
: They cost anywhere from free to $ 2.95.
: If i'm not mistaken, the AZ rally (Bumblebee) has
: already passed, but if you can stay tuned to this
: bbs, future rallies will no doubt be posted. BTW
: I used to work on motorhomes, and altho great fun, can also be dangerous, especially undetect ed propane leaks. Road bumps can eventually
: cause leaks in the system. Wise to carry soapy
: solution in spray bottle to check, and also have
: system inspected by authorized service dept. at
: least once a year. If you purchased it thru a dealership, you most likely were informed as to
: proper care & handling. If not, you may need to take it in as suggested above. Any RV, travel
: trailer, camper, or motorhome: Propane + flame
: = explosion.

Ghosttowns.com
11-04-1998, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Les Kruger

: : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?
: : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.
: Ralph, it sounds like you & your wife are on the right track & you're in for a lot of fun with that motor-home. Unfortunately, we aren't retired yet but my wife & I have been practicing anyway. Next year we can do it for real.

: We went to your state last year in our motor-home and even caught a quick look at Boise. One of our highlights was visiting Idaho City. It's not a real GT but it had a lot of history. The memorable part of the visit for me was the trip to the old cemetery. Many of the grave markers were unusual and reflective of a past era. it was well worth the trip. The town itself, although quite pricey, was very enjoyable. In many circles it's listed as a GT but this is, I'm sure, a surprise to those who live there.
: Go see it. It's easy to get there in a motor-home as the road in is quite adequate.

Ghosttowns.com
11-04-1998, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dawn

:

Ghosttowns.com
02-04-1999, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Robert

: I ran across your post searching for information on Idaho ghost towns and thought you would like this map located at:http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/1895/id_1895.jpg

: I have noticed many towns on this map that I cannot find any information on. Also may give you locations of many ghost towns and other old towns. One of my favorite books is, Southern Idaho Ghost Towns by Wayne C. Sparling in the Idaho Falls library. Some ghost towns I've been to are hard to find and not much left any more sadly. Good luck in your travels, Robert

Ghosttowns.com
03-20-1999, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Larry butler

: : : Just begining to explore ghost towns, want to explore towns

: : : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?

: : : Is anyone else going exploring, please let us know, & so maybe we can

: : : meet somewheres. Kristen & I have worked hard all our lives

: : : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.

: : : photography, outdoors, exploring. Is there a ghost town rally

: : : going on anywhere in the near future, we will drive to just

: : : about anywhere with 12 hours of Boise. Adios, loving life

: : : once again.......keep on trucking....

: : I ran across your post searching for information on Idaho ghost towns and thought you would like this map located at:http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/1895/id_1895.jpg

: : I have noticed many towns on this map that I cannot find any information on. Also may give you locations of many ghost towns and other old towns. One of my favorite books is, Southern Idaho Ghost Towns by Wayne C. Sparling in the Idaho Falls library. Some ghost towns I've been to are hard to find and not much left any more sadly. Good luck in your travels, Robert

Ghosttowns.com
05-04-1999, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by KRT

: : : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?

: : : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.

: : I ran across your post searching for information on Idaho ghost towns and thought you would like this map located at:http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/1895/id_1895.jpg

: : I have noticed many towns on this map that I cannot find any information on. Also may give you locations of many ghost towns and other old towns. One of my favorite books is, Southern Idaho Ghost Towns by Wayne C. Sparling in the Idaho Falls library. Some ghost towns I've been to are hard to find and not much left any more sadly. Good luck in your travels, Robert

: We love that map of Old Idaho...many thanks, any Rally's that you know of in the near future?

: Gracias......

Ghosttowns.com
08-07-1999, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by David L. Hart

:

Ghosttowns.com
04-03-2000, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Laura V. Reed

:

: Hello, My name is Laura Reed. I am in the 4th grade and in my class, I am doing an Idaho history project on Idaho Ghost Towns. Right now, I'm mostly studying Florence, Thunder Mountain and Roosevelt. I'm going to visit Placerville because my mom has a Basin Store clock from Placerville. I was wondering if you could send me some information on these towns. Thank you very much-

: Laura Reed

Ghosttowns.com
04-11-2000, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Barabanoga

: SHOW PICTURES

Ghosttowns.com
05-01-2000, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Bill McCormick

: If you haven't already, try Silver City. A good History of Silver City in the Library, in Bozeman, MT, I think. One of the larger Colleges anyway. Good reading. Keep looking. Bill

Ghosttowns.com
09-25-2000, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Patricia Dixon

: : : : Just begining to explore ghost towns, want to explore towns

: : : : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?

: : : : Is anyone else going exploring, please let us know, & so maybe we can

: : : : meet somewheres. Kristen & I have worked hard all our lives

: : : : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.

: : : : photography, outdoors, exploring. Is there a ghost town rally

: : : : going on anywhere in the near future, we will drive to just

: : : : about anywhere with 12 hours of Boise. Adios, loving life

: : : : once again.......keep on trucking....

: : : I ran across your post searching for information on Idaho ghost towns and thought you would like this map located at:http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/1895/id_1895.jpg

: : : I have noticed many towns on this map that I cannot find any information on. Also may give you locations of many ghost towns and other old towns. One of my favorite books is, Southern Idaho Ghost Towns by Wayne C. Sparling in the Idaho Falls library. Some ghost towns I've been to are hard to find and not much left any more sadly. Good luck in your travels, Robert

Ghosttowns.com
09-25-2000, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Pat D.

: : : : Just begining to explore ghost towns, want to explore towns

: : : : in our immediate area of Boise Idaho, where can I get old road maps, ghost town maps?

: : : : Is anyone else going exploring, please let us know, & so maybe we can

: : : : meet somewheres. Kristen & I have worked hard all our lives

: : : : just bought an old motor home,& our creative juices have once again been rejuvinated.

: : : : photography, outdoors, exploring. Is there a ghost town rally

: : : : going on anywhere in the near future, we will drive to just

: : : : about anywhere with 12 hours of Boise. Adios, loving life

: : : : once again.......keep on trucking....

: : : I ran across your post searching for information on Idaho ghost towns and thought you would like this map located at:http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/1895/id_1895.jpg

: : : I have noticed many towns on this map that I cannot find any information on. Also may give you locations of many ghost towns and other old towns. One of my favorite books is, Southern Idaho Ghost Towns by Wayne C. Sparling in the Idaho Falls library. Some ghost towns I've been to are hard to find and not much left any more sadly. Good luck in your travels, Robert

: I have live in Boise, ID for 13 yrs and have a facination of the "old"life in these "ghost towns". Have been several times visiting such towns, like Atlanta, Rocky Bar, Warren, Burgdorf, Idaho City, Silver City and Placerville. Are they any others with in a 5 hr drive from here to explore? Pat

Ghosttowns.com
09-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Jim Overly

: Trying to locate any information on Soldier Idaho: location, when it flourished, when it died, etc, etc. My grandfather (Ray Daugherty)was born there in 1889. His father owned a general merchantile store there until the town folded in ?? Thanks for any help.

ghostrider
08-14-2005, 12:16 PM
lotsa ghosttowns in centeral idaho....around stanley and salmon........ :)

deshawn70
05-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jim Overly

: Trying to locate any information on Soldier Idaho: location, when it flourished, when it died, etc, etc. My grandfather (Ray Daugherty)was born there in 1889. His father owned a general merchantile store there until the town folded in ?? Thanks for any help.

I went to Soldier a couple of years ago. It is located north of Fairfield and still has residents. There are some old buildings but not real spectacular. It was worth the visit though. Easy to get to as the roads are good. That is about all I have.

Pat Johnson
09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
You might try seeing Rocky Bar, Idaho. It is now a ghost town. Was a old mining town in the late 1900's. Also was the county seat of Idaho in the late 1800's. The town is being listed for sale. Go to the internet and look up ghost towns in Idaho and type in Rocky Bar. There is quite a story there. Good luck

Gravelrash
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
This news probably pleases my wife no end, but it disappointed me to the max. Wonder if Miachael wants a care-taker?

Sold: half of Idaho ghost town nets $250,000

By The Associated Press

BOISE, Idaho — Half of the Idaho ghost town of Rocky Bar sold for $250,000 this week, and the buyer says he wants to restore old buildings dating back to the 19th century with the help of preservationists.
For the money, Boise construction company owner Michael Ciluaga gets 8.9 acres of land in the mountains northeast of Boise, a rustic hotel building, a mine, leaky wading pool and the town jail, plus timber and mineral rights.
Ciluaga said his affinity for Idaho history convinced him he needed a ghost town in his property portfolio.
"I'm a third-generation Boisean," said Ciluaga, who learned about the property recently in his local newspaper. "When I read the story about it being for sale, I knew immediately that I wanted it."
Once, the mining town of Rocky Bar had stores, bars, fraternal lodges, two hotels, a photography studio, mines, mills, a Chinese district, a newspaper and upward of 500 people. In the late 1800s, more than $6 million in gold was mined in town. Now, however, Ciluaga is going to have to invest to keep intact what's left standing.
"I want to work with the state and the county and other towns in the area and take all the necessary precautions to make sure it's done correctly," Ciluaga said, adding he first wants to just relax and enjoy the surroundings. "For right now, it's elk camp this fall. That and a great Halloween party."
Ciluaga bought Bob Johnson's portion of the tiny town.
The other half belongs to artist Kerry Moosman, Rocky Bar's other owner, who has the Masonic Hall, a house and former saloon. He says the place would make a nice historic site for tourists to visit and explore Idaho's past.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

NWNative
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm glad I saw it as it is. It's good that he doesn't want to bulldoze it and build condos but this is one of the best GTs I've been to and it's a shame that he wants to make it a tourist spot.

Gravelrash
09-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm glad I saw it as it is. It's good that he doesn't want to bulldoze it and build condos but this is one of the best GTs I've been to and it's a shame that he wants to make it a tourist spot.

I hafta agree with your thinking, NWN, even though I am guilty by association. My favorite GT, which my dad showed me in the late 60's and which remained generally "unknown" for ages, has now become a yuppie paradise. True, their presence ensures the preservation of buildings and artifacts, but their general demeanor - that things should not be too rough or difficult - means sealed roads, cafes, arts and crafts and hordes on long weekends! What was devastating to me was the end of "free range" panning when it became a "destination". Insurance, don't ya know!
I'm also glad I saw it in it's true ghost setting.

deshawn70
01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I have never made it to Atlanta or Rocky Bar but now I wish I could have made it before now. At least he is going to keep it around so people can somewhat see how life was in the past. I guess it is better than the alternative as a previous poster mentioned.