PDA

View Full Version : Middletown, Virginia

Ghosttowns.com
11-21-2001, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Cactusman

: I am researching a ghosttown called Middletown, Va. Apparently it was shut down during the creation of a national forest in the Blueridge Mountains of Virginia. I'm using all the basic resources that I know of but have only found two references. Both of them concern populated towns no where near where it is suppose to be. This place is suppose to be between Grottoes, Va and Charlottesville, Va. At one time there was a lot of logging in the area where it is suppose to be. I would not doubt some kind of logging involvment with this town. I'm still doing the internet searches, interviews, and library searchs, along with some letters to some of the land offices in that area. If anybody knows anything about this place, ( Or any resources I may have missed )I would really appreciate a heads up on it!

: My son and I plan to hike the portion of the mountain where we are told it still (Partially) stands. This should be about a 3 or 4 day hike. We will take plenty of pics.

: Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give!

Ghosttowns.com
11-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:
: : I am researching a ghosttown called Middletown, Va. Apparently it was shut down during the creation of a national forest in the Blueridge Mountains of Virginia. I'm using all the basic resources that I know of but have only found two references. Both of them concern populated towns no where near where it is suppose to be. This place is suppose to be between Grottoes, Va and Charlottesville, Va. At one time there was a lot of logging in the area where it is suppose to be. I would not doubt some kind of logging involvment with this town. I'm still doing the internet searches, interviews, and library searchs, along with some letters to some of the land offices in that area. If anybody knows anything about this place, ( Or any resources I may have missed )I would really appreciate a heads up on it!

: : My son and I plan to hike the portion of the mountain where we are told it still (Partially) stands. This should be about a 3 or 4 day hike. We will take plenty of pics.

: : Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give!

: Cac...don't forget to ask David Wright if all else fails. He's extremely knowledgeable, and I believe his data base is rather extensive. Plus, I think he enjoys the challenge (if there is one).
: Personally, I think he should be entered into the FAQ link!
: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
11-23-2001, 06:03 AM

: Thanks Bob. Sage Wright is herebye on my list of resources!

Ghosttowns.com
11-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Where's Virginia?

: No, just kidding. Thanks for the kudos, BB, but the east coast is entirely out of my field.

Ghosttowns.com
11-25-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Like David, Virginia is way out of my research areas as well. Here are some of the Internet tricks that might help as well as some other possible leads. There are several very very good RR maps (Well over 100) available in Mr Sid format (You can down load the viewer) at the library of Congress, They cover much more than railroads, have been able to locate towns in Nevada 100s of mile from the nearest RR. They run from pre-Civil war to the turn of the century. Mr Sid viewer can get you down to real detail. I found over a dozen communities in Nevada perusing those maps.

: If there was logging, transportation means Rights of Way and possibility of a Post Office. A trip to the library may reveal someone has written a book about postal history of Virginia. It also means that the USGS or earlier Coast and Geodetic Survey probably mapped it as one time. The field surveyor notes are somewhere unless lost by fire. Most of Nevada's notes are at the Bureau of Land Management Offices or USFS. The location of cultural resources (An abandoned town over 50 years is a cultural resources is privileged information and excluded from the Freedom of Information act but those notes are not. That means if the USFS archaeologists are less than forthcoming, this is a possible end-around.

: I did a quick check of the GNIS and found three Middletown VA towns (York, Frederick, and Northhampton Counties) but only one PO, established 1813 and still operating so I suspect that none of these are the Middletown your looking for. Some great work is being done by genealogists including re-transcribing census data. If this community is over 80 years old, a census was taken and that information is available

: Local area museums and history, an interpretive organization for the Forest Service might shed some light. You need to date the settlement for Census Data, old maps, etc. The Forest Service Archaeologist will have that information but may not be willing to share. If not, root through old USFS planning documents. You may find that information (Not the exact location) in old NEPA required documents. Sounds like a great data hunt, Good luck

Ghosttowns.com
11-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:
: : Where's Virginia?

: : No, just kidding. Thanks for the kudos, BB, but the east coast is entirely out of my field.

: Yer welcome. And I know the East is a bit out of yer range, but I thought you wouldn't mind pluggin' in yer ol' 386 fer Cactus. He's a kind- hearted soul, who's fixin' to trade his AZ roots, for General Lee's stompin' grounds in V'ginny.
: bb.
:

Ghosttowns.com
11-29-2001, 08:05 AM

: Thanks for the info! I'll put it to use. If I find anything good, I'll post the pics here :)