PDA

View Full Version : Can't find info I need on old towns in Eastern WA state

Ghosttowns.com
11-24-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Nick

: I have photographed the remains of a couple of very old farming communities I belive to be the long lost towns of Alta Vista and Greenwood in Spokane County, Wa. Alta Vista is located just south of present day Airway Heights, Wa and Greenwood is near present day Hayford or Geiger, Wa. Other than their confirmed existance on an 1895 map of Spokane county they do not seem to exist. I have tried the Washington State Historical Society and the National Archives and Research Administration but to no avail. Anybody have any good advice on how I might be able to dredge up some old census info for that area or somthing which I can use to confirm my theories so I can sleep at night for once?

Ghosttowns.com
11-24-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:
: : I have photographed the remains of a couple of very old farming communities I belive to be the long lost towns of Alta Vista and Greenwood in Spokane County, Wa. Alta Vista is located just south of present day Airway Heights, Wa and Greenwood is near present day Hayford or Geiger, Wa. Other than their confirmed existance on an 1895 map of Spokane county they do not seem to exist. I have tried the Washington State Historical Society and the National Archives and Research Administration but to no avail. Anybody have any good advice on how I might be able to dredge up some old census info for that area or somthing which I can use to confirm my theories so I can sleep at night for once?

: Yeah, I know what ya mean...You can try the National Historical Society, (some SHS's are more like Chambers of Commerce, not that there's anything wrong with the C of C). Also, the main Spokane library may have the towns' archived newspapers (usually on microfilm). If not there, then the State library in Olympia might have them. If Olympia is the only source, Spokane can request inter-library loan of the materials, (free or low-cost). Last resort, try the Smithsonian Institute in DC. Requests to them used to have to go thru a library, school, etc., though, and I don't know if that's still true. The Reference, or the Historical librarian can hook you up. I believe you can also access Smithsonian archives online. Key the search engines. Oh, and maybe ask David Wright...he's extremely good at this.
: bb.

Ghosttowns.com
11-25-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by bad bob

:
: :
: : : I have photographed the remains of a couple of very old farming communities I belive to be the long lost towns of Alta Vista and Greenwood in Spokane County, Wa. Alta Vista is located just south of present day Airway Heights, Wa and Greenwood is near present day Hayford or Geiger, Wa. Other than their confirmed existance on an 1895 map of Spokane county they do not seem to exist. I have tried the Washington State Historical Society and the National Archives and Research Administration but to no avail. Anybody have any good advice on how I might be able to dredge up some old census info for that area or somthing which I can use to confirm my theories so I can sleep at night for once?

: : Yeah, I know what ya mean...You can try the National Historical Society, (some SHS's are more like Chambers of Commerce, not that there's anything wrong with the C of C). Also, the main Spokane library may have the towns' archived newspapers (usually on microfilm). If not there, then the State library in Olympia might have them. If Olympia is the only source, Spokane can request inter-library loan of the materials, (free or low-cost). Last resort, try the Smithsonian Institute in DC. Requests to them used to have to go thru a library, school, etc., though, and I don't know if that's still true. The Reference, or the Historical librarian can hook you up. I believe you can also access Smithsonian archives online. Key the search engines. Oh, and maybe ask David Wright...he's extremely good at this.
: : bb.

: "Yet Another Bob" has posted some excellent info re: Middletown, VA (11/25) a few posts below. May be your best shot at finding the places in WA yer seekin'.
: bb.

toad76
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I have been doing research into the area. On a 1912 Ogle map,which I found at the Spokane Library, the area used to be agricultural and orchard land. There are a number of ruins out there. Found the wreck of an old automobile, either a 30' or 40's. Not much left of it.
But be advised that the land belongs to the Spokane International Airport. You will need permission to go out there, regardless of the lack of "No Trespassing" signs.