PDA

View Full Version : Doctors of the old west

Ghosttowns.com
03-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Johnnie

: Some one ask about doctors of the old west last week and Dr.the most Interesting one I found was Dr.George E. Goodfellow of Tombstone Arizona,Dr. Goodfellow was the the most brilliant and aggressive surgeon to practice on the american frontier he spent about ii years in Tombstone(1880 to 1891) Dr. Goodfellow became a leading authority on gun shot wounds, and no douth came to the aid of many of the (good,the bad, uguly) while he was in Arizona territory, he was active in the campaign to capture Geronimo.he was involed in the Spanish American Warand was awarded a special citation.But the time he spent in Tonbstone is what most western Buffs like to here although I can`t go into to much detail on this interesting old west figuer here,George Goodfellow was born in an old mining town of Downyville California on Dec.23, 1855 His father was a mining engineer his father studied chemistery and medicine although never had a licened still was called "Doc"George spent 10yers in Downyville and then his father sent back to live with his aunt in Penn.He later in 1870 came back to Calif.and attened U.S.C and later went on to Wooster University in Ohio where he go his medical degree. His father was a mining forman all over the west and finaly landed in Prescott Ariz.and thats when George came out to stay and work as a doctor in the military forts and then finally to Tombstone.where he was in great need and greatly appricialty,I could go on but I have to stop somewhere I think anyone who was in that field did not have such a neat old west past.I suggest to anyone who likes the old west should read about this old western figure. many thanks to the Ghosttowns.com "Staff" for giving all of us the opptunity to share our knowlege and our love for the Old West.thanks again "johnnie" old west researcher and collector

:

Ghosttowns.com
03-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Louisa

: Hi! I was the one who asked about doctors in the old west. Still doing research on it. I really wanted to know if there were any in Bodie? Anyone know about that...Bodie is such a strange town...

Ghosttowns.com
03-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Johnnie

: : Hi! I was the one who asked about doctors in the old west. Still doing research on it. I really wanted to know if there were any in Bodie? Anyone know about that...Bodie is such a strange town...

:
: Hello I guess I somewhat answered your question in my other posting. I just added it to the question about the chinese of the old west.

: Johnnie

Bret
09-22-2004, 07:34 AM
I cant remember her name but the wife of one of the discoverers of rand mine (yellow aster) was a doctor. it was one of the biggest gold strikes in california I live in johannesburg california and explore as many mines here as i can

Cecile
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Dr. Rose La Monte Burcham is the person you are thinking of from Randsburg. Here's a story about her that I wrote: http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/may04.html