PDA

View Full Version : Something ain’t right in Goldfield, NV

Ghosttowns.com
04-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Greg, Michele and Greta (age 9)

:
: I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
: While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
: I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
: I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
: If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

Ghosttowns.com
04-05-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: It sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.
: : I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
: : While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
: : I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
: : I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
: : If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

Ghosttowns.com
08-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Cindy

: Goldfield is not in the least bit scary. I live in Las Vegas but visit friends in Goldfield several times a month. It is truly a beautiful place to hike around.

: You must visit the Columbia Tavern on the east side of the highway (the same street as the Goldfield Hotel). You will be able to talk to the locals and get a better feel for the town.

Ghosttowns.com
12-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by marlon coffman

: i agree with you i use to travelthrew there a few timws per. month back in 89-91.i always had that same feeling there.: It sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.
: : : I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
: : : While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
: : : I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
: : : I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
: : : If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

The Man In Black
09-10-2005, 01:33 AM
I read the postings about Goldfield, I must say that I did not feel that folks are not friendly in the town. My dad, who lived there for a number of years(he died in 2003 and was buired in the local graveyard in june 2004.) was one of the better known people there. I made two trips there in the late 1990's to visit and found folk to be very nice. Ofcourse, most of these folk are retired and keep to them selfs. But on my last visit in june 2004 to bury dad(my first burial service as a universal life minister) the people were as friendly as could be. The owner of the Columbia bar was a friend of my dad, who helped build the bar and has a memorial there. I feel more at home there than I do in Alameda, Ca. where I live. As to ghosts, Yes there are spirits there, Spirits are what remains of a person dies. A ghost is like a recording left on the buildings and the land. The history of Goldfield is rich and has gone thru more rough times than many towns, They survived fires & floods then the mines closed up. The hotel is haunted and if one is able to pick up on the vibes, they can feel the sadness and the joy there. If you have a chance, stop when you are in the area, the folk at the Columbia are happy to see folks also at the Mozart club(when it's open) Tell them "Lightfoot's son sent you" That's the name dad was best known. As a postscript, My dad was one of the people who were involved in fixing up the Mitzpa hotel in Tonaph in the mid to late 1980's.

Bob
09-10-2005, 05:35 AM
There may be stories spread about the hotel and there is plenty of history about town but if you talked to residents of Esmeralda County you find out that most figure the thing that wasn't right was they had to raise property taxes to pay for a silly Grand Jury that got called There less than 1,000 residents in the entire county but there is little joy in Esmeralda . I won't go into the details as there are two sides but there is more than a hint of unhappiness and disgust going on among the locals.

GaryB
09-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I know Goldfield is a very well known speed trap and home to (or was) a very nit picky NHP officer.

DeAnn S
12-19-2005, 08:12 PM
This is in response to a couple posts on this thread.

First and foremost, Goldfield is a very friendly town! Nowhere else will you find a more caring and compassionate community that rallys together to come to the aid of their neighbor! We don't all necessarily agree on every issue, but we certainly can put those issues aside to help one another!

BOB:
In regards to the "Silly Grand Jury", everyone has a constitutional right to call a grand jury. When a grand jury is wanted by a private citizen they must circulate a petition to the voters and get "X" number of signatures in order for the grand jury to be called. This was done by the citizen; therefore, obviously there are residents that supported this person. Furthermore, the Esmeralda County Commissioners did not raise taxes. There was also the rumor the grand jury cost the county $86,000.00 and that is just not true! It was more like $8,000.00 and if the county would have to raise taxes to recover the cost of a mere $8,000.00 then we are a county quickly sinking into the poor house. Our current ending fund balance is in excess of $5.6 million.

I am not just speaking from rumors--I was employed in the Esmeralda County Clerk-Treasurer's office for 12 years, 5 of which I served as the clerk-treasurer. I had to retire in September 2002 due to shattering my spine. When I became clerk-treasurer we had an ending fund balance of $1.4 million. When I retired we had an ending fund balance of $4.8 million, which was, in part, because of my investment knowledge.

GARY B:
I'm not sure which NHP trooper you are speaking about, and definitely agree there are some rookies out there who are quite eager to follow the book to the "T". But, to be quite honest, in order for Goldfield to be a speed trap the Sheriff's deputies would have to get off their rear ends and do something--now that is something you will never see in Goldfield--the Sheriff's office doing their job! I must admit we have about 2 deputies that try to do a good job, but often get shot down by the head honcho!

THE MAN IN BLACK:
I personally knew your Dad and just adored him! He was quite the character and I enjoyed talking with him. He always had a story to tell! I was very sorry to hear of his passing, but knowing that he is at home with our Heavenly Father put my heart at ease! I can see it now...everyone is gathered around your Dad and listening to his stories as only he could tell. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

GREG, MICHELE & GRETA:
Yes, the hotel is haunted. In 2000, I started the Goldfield Land Rush and during the 3 day festival we gave tours of the hotel and many people walked away with some sort of unexplainable experience, including myself. Please feel free to email me if you would like to hear about my experience and an experience a friend of my had.

In closing, Goldfield is really a great place! My hubby and I have raised our 2 beautiful children here and our daughter is raising our grand daughter here. When living in Goldfield it is not about quantity, it is all about the quality of life!

NME
12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
This is in response to a couple posts on this thread.

First and foremost, Goldfield is a very friendly town! Nowhere else will you find a more caring and compassionate community that rallys together to come to the aid of their neighbor! We don't all necessarily agree on every issue, but we certainly can put those issues aside to help one another!

BOB:
In regards to the "Silly Grand Jury", everyone has a constitutional right to call a grand jury. When a grand jury is wanted by a private citizen they must circulate a petition to the voters and get "X" number of signatures in order for the grand jury to be called. This was done by the citizen; therefore, obviously there are residents that supported this person. Furthermore, the Esmeralda County Commissioners did not raise taxes. There was also the rumor the grand jury cost the county $86,000.00 and that is just not true! It was more like $8,000.00 and if the county would have to raise taxes to recover the cost of a mere $8,000.00 then we are a county quickly sinking into the poor house. Our current ending fund balance is in excess of $5.6 million.

I am not just speaking from rumors--I was employed in the Esmeralda County Clerk-Treasurer's office for 12 years, 5 of which I served as the clerk-treasurer. I had to retire in September 2002 due to shattering my spine. When I became clerk-treasurer we had an ending fund balance of $1.4 million. When I retired we had an ending fund balance of $4.8 million, which was, in part, because of my investment knowledge.

GARY B:
I'm not sure which NHP trooper you are speaking about, and definitely agree there are some rookies out there who are quite eager to follow the book to the "T". But, to be quite honest, in order for Goldfield to be a speed trap the Sheriff's deputies would have to get off their rear ends and do something--now that is something you will never see in Goldfield--the Sheriff's office doing their job! I must admit we have about 2 deputies that try to do a good job, but often get shot down by the head honcho!

THE MAN IN BLACK:
I personally knew your Dad and just adored him! He was quite the character and I enjoyed talking with him. He always had a story to tell! I was very sorry to hear of his passing, but knowing that he is at home with our Heavenly Father put my heart at ease! I can see it now...everyone is gathered around your Dad and listening to his stories as only he could tell. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

GREG, MICHELE & GRETA:
Yes, the hotel is haunted. In 2000, I started the Goldfield Land Rush and during the 3 day festival we gave tours of the hotel and many people walked away with some sort of unexplainable experience, including myself. Please feel free to email me if you would like to hear about my experience and an experience a friend of my had.

In closing, Goldfield is really a great place! My hubby and I have raised our 2 beautiful children here and our daughter is raising our grand daughter here. When living in Goldfield it is not about quantity, it is all about the quality of life!

Is a large mining co planning on open pitting Goldfield?

NME

Bob
12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
DeAnn S, please don't take umbarge. I'm simply stating what I was told. It was told to me by couple residents that claimed their taxes had gone up way up and they attributed it to the "Silly Grand Jury", I will note that much of the scorn came ith this discussion wasfrom people just to the east (I know if they didn't wiggle the line much of their county seat would be in your county).

If I could earn a living in Esmeralda County, I'd live in Esmeralda Country and I'm pleased to hear that the costs of the "exercise in Constitutional right" wasn't as serious as it it was relayed to me but I swear, you have fellow residents who hold that opinion. I always eager to hear both sides of the story.

aZhE
12-20-2005, 08:38 PM
when is a good time of year to visit goldfield???

ghost_town_huntress
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow, something ain't right in this thread! Maybe we oughtta just drop it. Just a suggestion.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

David A. Wright
12-20-2005, 10:16 PM
I find anytime of the year a great time to visit Goldfield. I love summer during thunderstorms, when immense cumulonimbus clouds enhance photographing the old buildings. Winter time when there's snow on the ground also makes for superb photos.

DeAnn S
12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
I am truly sorry if I came across as angry, because I wasn't. When you live in Goldfield and continue to hear the rumors it really gets old. I know it is no fault of any of you--you are just posting what you have heard. Again, I apologize for the sound of my post.

NME:
There has been a long standing rumor that a mining company (I'm sorry I cannot remember their name) has found a large vein. This vein supposedly runs north of Goldfield, but within the town limits, underneath US95. Rumor has it that they have applied to NDOT to move the highway to run west of Goldfield along the botton of the Malapai's. This would have to be a huge vein worth billions in order for them to pay to move the highway. I don't think this will ever happen.

BOB:
Again, I am truly sorry! No offense taken.

aZhe & DAVID A. WRIGHT:
David, you are so right! Any time of the year is a great time to visit Goldfield. The last weekend of August we have Goldfield Days (I started this festival in 2000 with the land rush). The first year we had Goldfield Days there were over 2,000 people here. I had approximately 180 parcels county owned parcels up for sale and sold all but 8. There are a lot of vendors in town, street dances, parade, competitions, etc. You will have a blast!

Right this very minute the wind is blowing, which it does most of the time here, and it is very cold and trying to snow. I must admit, the only thing I do not like about Goldfield is the wind. It pretty much is windy all the time. Sometimes just a nice breeze, other times you need to hang on to your hat--or skirt as it was in my case. :o

If you are ever in Goldfield look me up. I would love to give you a tour of the courthouse and old fire house, and buy you lunch at the Mozart.

Your Goldfield friend,

De Ann

David A. Wright
12-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I was at the 2003 Goldfield Days. I co-authored a book with author/publisher Alan Patera and he and I, along with Stan Paher and Shawn Hall, had a couple of tables set up with our publications on one of the side streets by one of the former banks.

DeAnn S
12-21-2005, 09:17 PM
I do not remember much of the 2003 Goldfield Days. I announced my retirement in September 2002 to be effective January 2003. In March 2003 I had major spinal reconstructive surgery and was in an electric wheelchair during the 2003 Goldfield Days. Unfortunately, due to the massive doses of morphine and other pain narcotics I was on, I just do not know much about the weekend. I helped out at the Goldfield Volunteer Fire Departments beer garden and Bahama Mama BBQ. I was quite large at the time due to gaining 150 pounds because I was bedridden for a long time after my surgeries. I am proud to announce I have lost 160 over this past year! AND I am out of my electric wheelchair and go potty like a big girl! I occassionaly still have to use my manual wheelchair, but that is only when I start getting tired.

David, have you been to any other Goldfield Days?

David A. Wright
12-22-2005, 05:59 PM
David, have you been to any other Goldfield Days?No, that was the only one.

podunklander
12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
I do not remember much of the 2003 Goldfield Days. I announced my retirement in September 2002 to be effective January 2003. In March 2003 I had major spinal reconstructive surgery and was in an electric wheelchair during the 2003 Goldfield Days. Unfortunately, due to the massive doses of morphine and other pain narcotics I was on, I just do not know much about the weekend. I helped out at the Goldfield Volunteer Fire Departments beer garden and Bahama Mama BBQ. I was quite large at the time due to gaining 150 pounds because I was bedridden for a long time after my surgeries. I am proud to announce I have lost 160 over this past year! AND I am out of my electric wheelchair and go potty like a big girl! I occassionaly still have to use my manual wheelchair, but that is only when I start getting tired.

David, have you been to any other Goldfield Days?
WOW good for you - you lost almost as much as I weigh! Way to go! I hope your spine surgery was successful....what a terrible experience for you to have gone through. I am recovering from a spine condition myself and had put on weight too, but nothing like you went through. But I don't think I'll be complaining about my weight anymore after reading of your experience. I hope you continue to feel better, etc.

I was in Goldfield during 2003, but not for Goldfield Days. I really wanted to go and was tempted to fly back out for that week!

As far as spending time in Goldfield - my son and I hung out there a little here and there. The one day we spent more time in town was 'interesting'. I tell my son a lot of 'talltales' and I get a little carried away with these at times. Ok - most of the time I do hehe. I may like to think it's for his benefit, just to entertain him, but I get just as much fun out of it too. I've been known to go all out and can be quite overdramatic! He really falls for this and then -I'll tell him at a later time that I was just pulling his leg.

I can't get into all the details - but this one 'tale' I was harping for 'weeks' came true in Goldfield of all places! It's more or less one of those, 'you had to be there' type things but I ended up getting snagged at one of my own tales. My son got such a kick out of this and we both knew it would be something to remember and laugh at for years to come. But it was something quite ironic and somewhat freaky!

And then after all the excitement, we went to have lunch at the Mozart Club. This was kewl because I have been to the Chopin Inn (MA) and the Bach Door Cafe (CT). Someday I hope I'll come across a drinking hole that's named after Rachmaninoff..and then I can truly say that I have lived. (until then you can find me at the 'Aging Still').

Unfortunately my son threw out his back pretty bad early into our lunch there. He was only slightly leaning over the salad bar and that was enough to throw him into pain. He managed to get through lunch and we needed to get back to the motel for some Alleve and an icepack.

So we didn't get to do 'much' in Goldfield but it was a memorable experience -more than enough. But with him in pain off and on from his back -I had to keep up the effort and did all I could to try to keep him laughing to keep his mind off the pain. So we kept recalling our pre-lunch adventure and we have since referred to that as the 'Goldfield Man' episode (a direct descendant of 'Kennewick Man').

Ok so we're a little eccentric. And before long that wore off and it wouldn't take me long to come up with something new. But my son's 18 now and this only really works with kids when there too old to believe in Santa, and b4 they start college. I can't compete with dorm room antics!

The Man In Black
01-11-2006, 12:30 AM
DeAnn S, Thanks for the kind words about my dad. Goldfield is a poorer place since his passing. I met people that knew dad while we were shopping in Tonapah. He was a friend to a lot of people. Just ask the owner of the Columbia bar. If you want to talk off site, My Email is: wizardsrest@worldnet.att.net.
The Man in Black

ghostal
02-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Is Goldfield very easy to get to from Las Vegas?

I'm looking on doing a radio feature on ghost towns and need people to interview & a location for historical base. (I posted more in the history section entitled "Nevada ghost town project")

Do you suggest that Goldfield would be a good place to visit?

old judge
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Just a Hop-skip-and Jump or two up Highway 95. Easy to reach but not real close. Recommend a visit. What you think Bob? Mike

Bob
02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
First hit Rhyolite, then Goldfield, and then Tonopah (Stop by Shawn's Mining Park and the Museum) and if you have time, hit Belmont. If you have a couple days, leave Belmont via Manhattan, bag Austin, then follow the Highway 50 east through Eureka, take the side trip to Hamilton and nest in Ely for the night. Catch Pioche and Caliente on your way back to Vegas. Be advised it sometime close to 100 miles between services, Lots of driving with few humans around.

Vegas to Rhyolite (hour and a half drive)
Rhyolite to Goldfield (Another hour drive)
Goldfield to Tonopah (Half Hourt)
Tonopah to Belmont (Hour)
Belmont to Manhattan (Half hour or an hour depending on your vehicle)
Manhattan to Austin (About 2 hours)
Austin to Eureka (Hour and a half)
Eureka to Illipah (Turn off to Hamilton takes a bit more than an hour)
Allow half hour in an out to Hamilton and some time to investigate the surronds.
Illipah to Ely about 45 minutes.
Ely to Pioche about 2 hours.
Pioche to Caliente (About 40 minutes)
Caliente back to Vegas (2 and half hours).

old judge
02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Whoa. Thanks Bob. You don't think I just printed out your last post, you gotta be goofy. What a great recommendation for a tour. Just looked it over on my maps. Whoa. You're a gem. Even Flatiron must agree. Been to several of those GTs, but not in such an organized manner. Today, organized is much more important than 10 years ago. Mike and the Bride

GaryB
02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Caliente back to Vegas (2 and half hours).
And don't try to push this estimate much in the areas of Alamo and the Caliente Summit (AKA Oak Summit) unless you like collecting tickets from bored highway patrolmen. I once did it just under 1 hour 30 minutes and if I would have gotten caught, I'd still be making license plates at the big house in Indian Springs, NV ;)

ghostal- what time of the year are you planning on making it here? During the spring-summer months, many of the places Bob mentioned come alive with get together's and events. IMO a 4th of July in Caliente is an experience everyone should get at least once in their life. But I'm biased :D

ghostal
02-23-2006, 02:31 AM
ghostal- what time of the year are you planning on making it here? During the spring-summer months, many of the places Bob mentioned come alive with get together's and events. IMO a 4th of July in Caliente is an experience everyone should get at least once in their life. But I'm biased :D
I'm going April 4-11, so I hope t ofind some good material during that time.

Everybody's been so helpful though, I hope that everything will come together though...

Flatiron
02-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow! GaryB laid out quite an itinerary! Just like OJ, I've been to quite a few of those GT's , and think if you hit half of them, you'll have a great time. I always seem to be amazed at the experience and knowledge exhibited by so many of the regulars on this site. I hope you have a great time and leave with a bunch of memories............

ElyJon
05-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I don’t know much about the politics in this thread, but I love Goldfield, especially the Hotel. I moved to Las Vegas in 1985, and started taking what I called loops. These were just long drives were I would head out in one direction, then come back in another. I did not plan much, I just went to see what I would find. On one of these loops I went out to Beatty, then over to Bishop, then headed back over 6 to 95. It was about 2 Am in the morning when I went through Goldfield. I saw the hotel, in the dark, and thought I was seeing a ghost. I have been trough, too and around Goldfield dozens of times since. I love that town.
I was thrilled when someone started working on the old Hotel, I was disappointed when the work stopped and whoever it was went under. I have always wondered what they did with the leather seats from the lobby, and hoped they are just in a nice dry dark spot on the property someplace. I laughed like crazy one night when I happened on a movie called Cherry 2000 and saw the Don leave the Hotel, drive down the road, get lifted by a crane over the old Mill foundations and into the spillway at Hoover dam. I was saddened when I saw the collapsed wall at the old school my last time through.
As for the way this thread started, something started with the comment:
“”It sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.”

Goldfield is like most of the towns in the interior of Nevada outside of Reno and Las Vegas. The interior of Nevada has been depopulating for 80 years with boom and bust cycles of mining always coming and going. It is a brutal cycle where towns live for a generation then die. Those who remain look for other ways to stay, many often leaving after they find it impossible. Those who come, come because it is such a bargain, and become part of what is left. Often the old timers are at odds with the newcomers. The newcomers want to preserve a past, restore the old places, bring tourists and the like, the old timers hope that there is new ore discovered and that the “company” returns. In Nevada, either interests are really ever satisfied. Virginia City made it as a tourists spot, A few places are booming because of the high price of minerals, and most sit some were between with a little tourism and a little mining to keep them floating. They are what they are today, they will never be what they were in the past, and the people in them are there because it is the kind of place they love.
Were easy going, we seem a-ss backwards to a lot of people, and we are were we are at because it is were we want to be and we succeeded in finding a way to be there. I see more ghosts in the old buildings filled with tourists at Knott’s Berry Farm then I do in the buildings of Goldfield. Goldfield and the other towns in Nevada, are like the bushes on the desert, or a pine tree growing alone on a little bit of rock, it just amazes what is there, and not what is not. Long ago Goldfield was the most dynamic city in the state, it still remains the most amazing.

GaryB
05-21-2006, 05:42 PM
The other problem is with new technology in cars, folks don't have to stop every 50 miles for gas or water, so the towns in between die. You can go from Tonopah to Vegas with no issues. From Tonopah to Hawthorne and Yerington as well. Beatty IMO is only around because of the Death Valley entrance and the residents being employed by the Test Site and Bechtel. But the small stops like Mina, Lida Junction, and Coaldale are hanging on by threads due to the fact they are not needed like back in the day.

We were doing work in Tonopah, a guy has been investing a lot of money to get the Mizpah and IIRC the Nevada hotels up and running as historical sites. Also a few mines sound as if they might be reopening in the area. Guess we'll see. Even if every little town/stop between Vegas and Reno became a tourist trap, I wouldn't fret much, because that means it still might be around 100 years from now.

Dezdan
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Kind of off/on topic, but does anyone happen to know the price of gas in Goldfield? Along with that question, any stations have card readers on the pump? I don't want to go out of my way and roll in at 1am and find I can't get gas.

Thanks,
~Dezdan

GaryB
05-22-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm not sure. We were getting our gas in Tonopah which does have the more modern machines. At the time, gas was about the same as Vegas, which as of yesterday was around $3.10 a gallon for regular. Beatty is about the same.

IIRC there is just one station in Golfield, and it's only got one or two pumps.

Dezdan
05-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks Gary! I guess I had better carry another 5 gallons with me.

~Dan

GaryB
05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Where you going to/coming from if you don't mind me asking?

Dezdan
05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Coming from SoCal, going to southern Esmeralda County via Lida Junction. I figured since Goldfield was only 15 miles from Lida Junction, that I would pass the junction and top off in Goldfield seeing my prior fueling stop would be Beatty. It would give me about 35 extra miles of gas from what I calculated.

~Dan

GaryB
05-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I need to spend some time in Esmeralda myself, but I find it's a bit nicer there in the spring and fall ;) Lots of places to hit around Silver Peak that have my eye.

Dezdan
05-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I need to spend some time in Esmeralda myself, but I find it's a bit nicer there in the spring and fall ;) Lots of places to hit around Silver Peak that have my eye.Being from the SoCal desert, fall and early spring are to cold for my bones! I like the area right about now, as the daytime highs are around 80 degrees.

~Dezdan

GaryB
05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Well since it's not technically Summer yet :p

I might even hit the area this winter, I have too much on my plate right now. I just barely have the time to take a trip during the 4th of July to Lincoln and White Pine County for some fun.

Beatty
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
There less than 1,000 residents in the entire county but there is little joy in Esmeralda .
Actualy there are 1,276 residents inside Esmeralda County, Nevada as of 2005.

Shooter
02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Being from the SoCal desert, fall and early spring are to cold for my bones! I like the area right about now, as the daytime highs are around 80 degrees.

~Dezdan

Where in the SoCal desert?

We are near China Lake.

Shooter
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Huge amounts of spam bumping. These xxxxxxx are getting more and more clever all the time. Dang bastages!

I hope you didn't think my query was Spam, sorry if it sounded that way.

NRA Life Member
FNRA Committee member
SASS Life Member

brian10x
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I hope you didn't think my query was Spam, sorry if it sounded that way.

NRA Life Member
FNRA Committee member
SASS Life Member

Not at all. Sometimes the offending spam is removed by our moderator after we bump, leaving the next visitor wondering the same thing as yourself.

Shooter
02-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Not at all. Sometimes the offending spam is removed by our moderator after we bump, leaving the next visitor wondering the same thing as yourself.

Thanks, I was concerned.

sbruce
09-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Is raising a semi-political thread here okay? Most ghost towners I have met are not exactly tolerant of unions and working men's rights. But I guarantee you the following is all true:

Sally Zanjani wrote a book about labor troubles in Goldfield in the early 1900's entitled "Ignoble Conspiracy: Radicalism on Trial in Nevada". In this case two innocent union members were virtually framed for the murder of a restaurant owner in a union picket dispute.

DEATHWIND1
09-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Its Been Awhile Since I Have Been There---You Should Be Able To Do Your Story Fine----If You Could Get Inside The Hotel That Would Be A Story In Its Self---That Is If You Have Enough Nerve To Even Enter

htawebs
09-16-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't know if anyone here caught the show "Ghost Adventures" on the Sci Fi Channel, but they were granted access to the Goldfield hotel by the owner Edgar "Red" Roberts. The footage that they acquired during their "somewhat" overnight stay (they were padlocked in and escaped through a second-story window in the middle of the night due to what they witnessed and caught on tape) is pretty interesting. Although, I personally cannot vouche for its authenticity.

As most of you know, it is known as one of the most haunted places in the world. I would love to spend the night in there. I live for that kind of stuff.

sbruce
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Several years ago I was involved with Pastor Thomas Bailey and his ministry based in Salem Oregon, which was a multi-denominational Christian group and charitable organization, helping troubled teens and disadvantaged kids. This was a "liberal" non-prostelitizing Christian group, not of the ****-and-damnation fire-breathing variety.

Bailey wanted to purchase the hotel and transform it into a christian college and educational center (non-denominational). The hotel would have been modernized with the college classrooms and staff residences on the upper two floors, while completely restoring the ground floor to its 1908 style.

The business plan also included a restored/period restaurant, gift shop and small museum to supplement the running costs of the building, and a few hotel rooms on the ground floor, all done in the early 1900's period, with period furnishings and historical accuracy.

At the time (2000-2002) Bailey presented his business plan to the town board and was prepared to bid up to $250K for the property at auction. Regrettably Pastor Bailey could not compete financially with the likes of Edgar "Red" Roberts, and the late Pastor Bailey passed away after a long illness.

The ministry had purchased multiple distressed properties throughout the West and used them all for good purposes, but with the passing of Pastor Bailey the ministry has since lost interest in purchasing the hotel.

Anyway as a good "faith-based" billionaire it's likely Edgar "Red" Roberts' has more faith in hard cold cash than in Bailey's ministry - and the (hypothetical) odds of Roberts selling the hotel to Bailey for a loss are/were as remote as Neocons saving the Middle East for Big Oil. Likewise, with the passing of Pastor Bailey there is a fair chance that the college project would have failed anyway.

But most alarming to me at the time was the greed of the property owners adjacent to the hotel, where car parking space is needed, along with situation of a large propane/natural gas storage tank to supply gas to the hotel. The adjacent property owners were all asking exorbitant and prohibitive amounts for their lots - and I suspect that is why Edgar "Red" Roberts has done less than zero with the property to this day.

Capitalizing on ghosts, weirdness and odd occurrences may bring a small number of eccentric tourists to the town. But a solution like Bailey's would have dispelled the evil spirits and brought some decent life to the town, without the need for another casino or gambling joint to stop traffic.

On a philosophical note, there is good and evil in all of us in varying amounts; maybe Goldfield is just a real life reminder: when it comes to the Good, Bad and/or Ugly, good fails as often as the bad wins.:eek:

GaryB
09-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Goldfield is a fine example of many small Nevada towns.

Seems they are always waiting for the next big boom, and the few that own everything don't want to sell till they can get astronomical prices when it happens. Sad part is many will never see another boom and they don't or won't realize it. Or, they live in a world where they feel everything that is theirs is worth 50-100 times it's realistic value. So these places sit empty and rot away, while folks who might be able to do something with them are chased away. In other cases, you have idealogical county/town leaders wanting to suck investors dry with zoning/building/personal issues, further hampering any progress.

I've looked into such places myself. The sad part is that many have been allowed to become so decrepit that they would have to be torn down, a far cry from when they were once solid structures. So the historical value is completely lost.

htawebs
09-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Several years ago I was involved with Pastor Thomas Bailey and his ministry based in Salem Oregon, which was a multi-denominational Christian group and charitable organization, helping troubled teens and disadvantaged kids. This was a "liberal" non-prostelitizing Christian group, not of the ****-and-damnation fire-breathing variety.

Bailey wanted to purchase the hotel and transform it into a christian college and educational center (non-denominational). The hotel would have been modernized with the college classrooms and staff residences on the upper two floors, while completely restoring the ground floor to its 1908 style.

The business plan also included a restored/period restaurant, gift shop and small museum to supplement the running costs of the building, and a few hotel rooms on the ground floor, all done in the early 1900's period, with period furnishings and historical accuracy.

At the time (2000-2002) Bailey presented his business plan to the town board and was prepared to bid up to $250K for the property at auction. Regrettably Pastor Bailey could not compete financially with the likes of Edgar "Red" Roberts, and the late Pastor Bailey passed away after a long illness.

The ministry had purchased multiple distressed properties throughout the West and used them all for good purposes, but with the passing of Pastor Bailey the ministry has since lost interest in purchasing the hotel.

Anyway as a good "faith-based" billionaire it's likely Edgar "Red" Roberts' has more faith in hard cold cash than in Bailey's ministry - and the (hypothetical) odds of Roberts selling the hotel to Bailey for a loss are/were as remote as Neocons saving the Middle East for Big Oil. Likewise, with the passing of Pastor Bailey there is a fair chance that the college project would have failed anyway.

But most alarming to me at the time was the greed of the property owners adjacent to the hotel, where car parking space is needed, along with situation of a large propane/natural gas storage tank to supply gas to the hotel. The adjacent property owners were all asking exorbitant and prohibitive amounts for their lots - and I suspect that is why Edgar "Red" Roberts has done less than zero with the property to this day.

Capitalizing on ghosts, weirdness and odd occurrences may bring a small number of eccentric tourists to the town. But a solution like Bailey's would have dispelled the evil spirits and brought some decent life to the town, without the need for another casino or gambling joint to stop traffic.

On a philosophical note, there is good and evil in all of us in varying amounts; maybe Goldfield is just a real life reminder: when it comes to the Good, Bad and/or Ugly, good fails as often as the bad wins.:eek:

I wish I could quote both you and GaryB.

Gary, I don't care if you're a moderator or not, the fact is you're out of line. Just because some idiot posts here and defames Red, doesn't mean it's OK to do so. If I was you, I'd delete the posts, before you get sued. Although, if I was me, I'd welcome all comers and get it on. :) That's only because I'm not a moderator.

This person is an idiot. This person presents no facts, just opinion. If they have facts, show some links, IBNs, etc. They can't. Whether or not this is a trap, it really doesn't matter. It's all bad.

I honestly think we should all follow Lynyrd Skynyrd. Now there's some **** to live by.

Edit: GaryB, I love vBulletin, don't you?

bad bob
09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
I wish I could quote both you and GaryB.

Gary, I don't care if you're a moderator or not, the fact is you're out of line. Just because some idiot posts here and defames Red, doesn't mean it's OK to do so. If I was you, I'd delete the posts, before you get sued. Although, if I was me, I'd welcome all comers and get it on. :) That's only because I'm not a moderator.

This person is an idiot. This person presents no facts, just opinion. If they have facts, show some links, IBNs, etc. They can't. Whether or not this is a trap, it really doesn't matter. It's all bad.

I honestly think we should all follow Lynyrd Skynyrd. Now there's some **** to live by.

Edit: GaryB, I love vBulletin, don't you?

Hmmmm, looks like there might be plural "idiots" here. You have now ruffled my plummage, and I'll have no problem "arguing" with ya this time. GaryB is a moderator here, not the poster, and as such is not likely to be "sued".

And even though you "chastised" GaryB, it's not likely you'll be "banned" from here by him. I've done much worse, and yes I'm also an "idiot", so I guess it does takes one to spot one. This moderator, (who BTW is doing a thumbs up job here:D IMO), is also a gt'er.

You seem like a fairly intelligent sort, so I don't get the intent of your msg. Perhaps you may be just a bit misguided.

Now unless I'm wrong, arguments are allowed here, but flaming is not. :p

Gravelrash
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Is raising a semi-political thread here okay?
Just speaking personally, I found this very interesting.

bad bob
09-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Each to his or her own I suppose. But years ago, when the radio stations played "Sweet Home Alabama" 4 jillion times a day and night, I personally wanted to choke the earphones off the DJ, and spike the band's cocaine with laxative and talcum powder. :mad:

brian10x
09-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Each to his or her own I suppose. But years ago, when the radio stations played "Sweet Home Alabama" 4 jillion times a day and night, I personally wanted to choke the earphones off the DJ, and spike the band's cocaine with laxative and talcum powder. :mad:

Thats funny, Bob. So many songs I loved in the 70s, and 80's, stated to wear thin in the 90's after several million plays, and by now, masterpiece or not, I feel like putting a bullet in my brain every time I hear these songs played past 1 1 trillion mark.

That said, I guess the next generation has to get theirs.

...And she's buying a stairway to heaven...
Brian

mainmanwalkin
09-18-2007, 06:13 AM

Any song in particular you're referring to? I'm particular to George Thorogood's version of "Highway 49" but that's just me :)

GaryB
09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Gary, I don't care if you're a moderator or not, the fact is you're out of line. Just because some idiot posts here and defames Red, doesn't mean it's OK to do so. If I was you, I'd delete the posts, before you get sued.

What in the world, and exactly in which world, are you talking about?

I'm out of line? How? Who's going to sue me over what?

Please, entertain me.

sbruce
09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
What a laugh! Sounds like a personal problem to me.:p

bad bob
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Thats funny, Bob. So many songs I loved in the 70s, and 80's, stated to wear thin in the 90's after several million plays, and by now, masterpiece or not, I feel like putting a bullet in my brain every time I hear these songs played past 1 1 trillion mark.

That said, I guess the next generation has to get theirs.

...And she's buying a stairway to heaven...
Brian

It's true...Stairway to Heaven, among several other tunes, as good as they were, did get quite a bit of air time...way past the sanity level (IMO). :(

Quailshootr
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I know who that lady is who lived next to the Hotel, she noew resides part time in Goldpoint, Nevada

ripsaw
09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I have done several motorcyle trips out to Goldpoint and love the place. The last time we were there some filming was going on. Just so happened, some folks were doing some nude stuff on the porch of the bar. It was quite the treat, young breastesses and all. Goldpoint should form a website.

Mustang John
09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I have done several motorcyle trips out to Goldpoint and love the place. The last time we were there some filming was going on. Just so happened, some folks were doing some nude stuff on the porch of the bar. It was quite the treat, young breastesses and all. Goldpoint should form a website.

Here is the Gold Point, Nevada website;
http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

The back issues of the newsletter are interesting to read about the progress in restoring the town.

caver
09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I passed though there a few days ago. Camped out at the hot spring. Still looks like some small scale mining was going on.

GaryB
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
There was an article about Gold Point a few weeks back in the local paper. Seems they are fighting the BLM over old property disputes. Sad really, another example of ignorant government bureaucracy . Seems Ione, NV and a few others are fighting the same thing.

I'd post a link, but you have to register into the archives. If you want to do it yourself: www.lvrj.com (http://www.lvrj.com) Search the archives for a story titled "Left with Little But Love of Land" on August 9th.

Vegas_Nick
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been trying to get in touch with somebody in Goldfield that can get me in the hotel for a morning of photography on my way through town. Any ideas?