PDA

View Full Version : Lake City, Ca

Ghosttowns.com
05-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Roland

: Recently went through Nevada City, Ca and heard reference to Lake City. Didn't see it on a map and had to leave, but at home saw a Lake City Rd. on a real-estate listing so assume the story must have been true. It's not listed on Ghosttown.com or other sires. Anyone know more?

Ghosttowns.com
05-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Dezdan

: Lake City was founded in 1864 as the first organized community in the area with a grist mill, school, and saw mill. The flouring mill, constructed in 1867, still stands at the mouth of Lake City Canyon in the center of town. The gold rush emigrant trail passed near Lake City, and wagon tracks still remain today in some parts of the route. The Warner Mountains may be accessed from Lake City Canyon Road along the scenic creek.

: Info from: http://www.hdo.net/~svcoc/lkcity.html

: ~Dezdan

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: Lake City is near the South Yuba River and is off of North Bloomfield Road just out of Nevada City.
: I have passed by it many times on the way to North Bloomfield. There is nothing left but a plaque on private property. I have in my collection a letter written back in the 1800's by a woman who lived there.
: There is nothing left to see there.

: Check out my web page for North Bloomfield just up the road.

: -Lewis

:
: : Lake City was founded in 1864 as the first organized community in the area with a grist mill, school, and saw mill. The flouring mill, constructed in 1867, still stands at the mouth of Lake City Canyon in the center of town. The gold rush emigrant trail passed near Lake City, and wagon tracks still remain today in some parts of the route. The Warner Mountains may be accessed from Lake City Canyon Road along the scenic creek.

: : Info from: http://www.hdo.net/~svcoc/lkcity.html

: : ~Dezdan

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Dezdan

: Ah, ****! Sorry about the misleading info, but blame it on the source I posted. Thanks for catching that Lewis, I think I will stick with giving out SoCal info from now on. ;-)

: ~Dezdan

Ghosttowns.com
05-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Lynda

: Don't feel stupid Dezdan, I live in North Eastern
: California and I would have described the same Lake
: City you did. It is located in Surprise Valley and
: it is close to a ghost. The mill you described is
: beautiful. There are a couple of other towns in
: that area that are nearly ghosts and lots of mines
: in the Warner Mountains.