PDA

View Full Version : KIMBERLY, UTAH

Ghosttowns.com
11-18-1998, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Has anyone ever been to Kimberly, Utah? We tried to make it up there recently but there was too much snow. Was wondering if anyone would care to share photos, as I doubt I will be in that neck of the woods again for a LONG time!
: Thanks, Cat and Ripley

Ghosttowns.com
11-27-1998, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Uintah

: : Has anyone ever been to Kimberly, Utah? We tried to make it up there recently but there was too much snow. Was wondering if anyone would care to share photos, as I doubt I will be in that neck of the woods again for a LONG time!
: : Thanks, Cat and Ripley

: I went to Kimberly about 4 years ago. I went in July so there was no snow at that time to deal with. The Tushar mountains are very high and quite snowy most of the year. The road itself could probably be traversed in a high clearence 2wd and it actaully makes a loop. I started at the Fremont Indian museum off I-70 and came out in Marysvalle. As I came up from I-70 the first thing encountered was the extensive ruins of the old stamp mill. While I was there a couple of local guys were panning the creek at the mill site. As you go further along you enter the actuall town site which is heavily timbered with a couple buildings still standing. One was actually still in very good shape. The interesting thing to me was the number of cabins and artifacts in the trees. You can't really tell the cabins are there, the snow has collapsed most of them, unitll you begin to wander around in the trees. You can actually pick out where the roads used to be. We found many interesting artifacts including a cache of old hobnailed miner boots. Although I am sure the area is covered by mining claims, I believe the ground is US Forest Service, at that time we did not encounter any "no tresspassing" signs. An excellent source of information on Kimberly or any other ghost town cane be found in the book "Some Dreams Die" by Thompson. Barnes & Noble sell it, but it is out of print and very hard to come by.

: Uintah

Ghosttowns.com
12-04-1998, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Cat Evans

: Uintah,
: Thanks so much! I was curious if an ederly man was still living there. My father was up there about 10 years ago(maybe more) and this old man was up there, he was silver mining and he had PILES AND PILES of silver in pie tin molds surrounding his house! I know its been a long time but the story my dad told me made me curious.
: The next time I'm in Utah I plan to try and make it up there. I know about the 4wheeler trail but I know there has to be another way up. I thought I had found it but then there was WAY too much snow on the road to get me up there. We also saw a decent sized mill on the way up. I noticed that the Kimberly page on ghosttowns.com doesnt have any pictures. Does anyone out there have any? I would LOVE to see what the place looks like!
: Thanks again!
: -Cat and Ripley

:
: : : Has anyone ever been to Kimberly, Utah? We tried to make it up there recently but there was too much snow. Was wondering if anyone would care to share photos, as I doubt I will be in that neck of the woods again for a LONG time!
: : : Thanks, Cat and Ripley

: : I went to Kimberly about 4 years ago. I went in July so there was no snow at that time to deal with. The Tushar mountains are very high and quite snowy most of the year. The road itself could probably be traversed in a high clearence 2wd and it actaully makes a loop. I started at the Fremont Indian museum off I-70 and came out in Marysvalle. As I came up from I-70 the first thing encountered was the extensive ruins of the old stamp mill. While I was there a couple of local guys were panning the creek at the mill site. As you go further along you enter the actuall town site which is heavily timbered with a couple buildings still standing. One was actually still in very good shape. The interesting thing to me was the number of cabins and artifacts in the trees. You can't really tell the cabins are there, the snow has collapsed most of them, unitll you begin to wander around in the trees. You can actually pick out where the roads used to be. We found many interesting artifacts including a cache of old hobnailed miner boots. Although I am sure the area is covered by mining claims, I believe the ground is US Forest Service, at that time we did not encounter any "no tresspassing" signs. An excellent source of information on Kimberly or any other ghost town cane be found in the book "Some Dreams Die" by Thompson. Barnes & Noble sell it, but it is out of print and very hard to come by.

: : Uintah

karen01
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
We drove up to Kimberly this past weekend, and the road was very doable in our truck, but the entire area is now private with no trespassing signs everywhere, so we had to look from the road. There is a new house and a large metal building that made us wonder if someone is now mining again. Nice drive, but not where you want to go if you want to walk around and look at anything. The road is a fairly steep grade, so had to use the lowest gear so we wouldn't heat our brakes. Pretty drive.