PDA

View Full Version : Most Intact Ghost Town

Ghosttowns.com
08-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Peter McKie

: Hi all--

: I'm doing research into the story of a ghost town from its beginning to its end, and I want to profile a town that still has some remains. I'm not looking for a town like Jerome or Cleator that's still populated or partly populated, or one that has been renovated into a tourist attraction (like Bodie), or one that's in a state of preservation.

: I'm looking for a real, honest-to-goodness, abandoned ghost town, where the outlines of the town are still evident. Anybody know of a place that fits the bill?

: Thanks much in advance,
: Peter McKie

Ghosttowns.com
08-05-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: : Hi
: : I'm doing research into the story of a ghost town from its beginning to its end, and I want to profile a town that still has some remains.

: OK, explain your research - The ghost of Delamar fits that description but there have been a couple master thesis written on it.

: : I'm looking for a real, honest-to-goodness, abandoned ghost town, where the outlines of the town are still evident.

: Just what do you means by outlines of the town? Figure out where the streets were or do you still want mill equipment present?

: I guess I know a couple dozen places in Nevada that fit that description of totally abandoned with significant evidence of habitation, I even know of some with glass still in the windows and milling equipment still in site. You need to suggest an area of interest.

: I give you an answer from Lincoln County Nevada, what era? 1860's Logan, 1880's Frieberg, 1890's Delamar, 1900's Fay, 1950 Tempiute (Some private land - also some 1860's stuff) or Atlanta (There is a watchman still resident). One county, I suspect many on this board can give you the same info for there favorite area. Give us more information, including the level of research your doing and someone will jump in and point you in the correct direction.

: Anybody know of a place that fits the bill?

: A simple response would be Delamar Nevada, well researched and much more than an outline of the town remains.

: : Thanks much in advance,
: : Peter McKie

Ghosttowns.com
08-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by snm1023@msn.com

: : Peter - In my 50 years roaming the s west desert the most ghostly one I know is Old Hachita in the far south western corner of New mexico. I have pics to email you if you want. Send me an email if interested. Many buildings, mining stuff, absolutely no one there. steve in so az

Ghosttowns.com
09-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Terry

: : Hi all--

: : I'm doing research into the story of a ghost town from its beginning to its end, and I want to profile a town that still has some remains. I'm not looking for a town like Jerome or Cleator that's still populated or partly populated, or one that has been renovated into a tourist attraction (like Bodie), or one that's in a state of preservation.

: : I'm looking for a real, honest-to-goodness, abandoned ghost town, where the outlines of the town are still evident. Anybody know of a place that fits the bill?

: : Thanks much in advance,
: : Peter McKie

Ghosttowns.com
09-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Terry

: : : Hi
: : : I'm doing research into the story of a ghost town from its beginning to its end, and I want to profile a town that still has some remains.

: : OK, explain your research - The ghost of Delamar fits that description but there have been a couple master thesis written on it.

: : : I'm looking for a real, honest-to-goodness, abandoned ghost town, where the outlines of the town are still evident.

: : Just what do you means by outlines of the town? Figure out where the streets were or do you still want mill equipment present?

: : I guess I know a couple dozen places in Nevada that fit that description of totally abandoned with significant evidence of habitation, I even know of some with glass still in the windows and milling equipment still in site. You need to suggest an area of interest.

: : I give you an answer from Lincoln County Nevada, what era? 1860's Logan, 1880's Frieberg, 1890's Delamar, 1900's Fay, 1950 Tempiute (Some private land - also some 1860's stuff) or Atlanta (There is a watchman still resident). One county, I suspect many on this board can give you the same info for there favorite area. Give us more information, including the level of research your doing and someone will jump in and point you in the correct direction.

: : Anybody know of a place that fits the bill?

: : A simple response would be Delamar Nevada, well researched and much more than an outline of the town remains.

:
: : : Thanks much in advance,
: : : Peter McKie

: Silver city, idaho There are a few people that have moved back there. Great place! Best one I've been to. Hard to get to as road is not maintained.

Ghosttowns.com
01-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Hill

: Try Hillsboro, Montana. You can find it on the Montana page. It is soooooooooo isolated from society! Barely anyone knows it exists or where to find it!

Ghosttowns.com
02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TheStorm

: Duquesne, AZ is a really cool one with many buildings. Cant say how long it will last. There are some other Ghost Towns near it as well as a giant concrete cross form the spanish inquizition. its down by patagonia. the book ghost towns of arizona by james sherman has directions. the whole drive is one of the best trips in arizona. bring a truck preferably 4x4.

Pam
01-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Peter McKie

: Hi all--

: I'm doing research into the story of a ghost town from its beginning to its end, and I want to profile a town that still has some remains. I'm not looking for a town like Jerome or Cleator that's still populated or partly populated, or one that has been renovated into a tourist attraction (like Bodie), or one that's in a state of preservation.

: I'm looking for a real, honest-to-goodness, abandoned ghost town, where the outlines of the town are still evident. Anybody know of a place that fits the bill?

: Thanks much in advance,
: Peter McKie
There are a few that come to mind in Nevada/Utah, you will have to explain in greater detail what you want/don't want.

LindaL
02-24-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't know where you are or how much you want intact but Belcherville, Texas could fit the bill. The roads are still very much there along with foundations, collapsed buildings and one virtually complete building. Belcherville was small though and it's hard to find out much about it. There are a few residents on the outskirts of town but they definitely have nothing to do with the town because there is no longer a town.

Jughead
03-28-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm in agreement with the post above. Silver City Idaho is a great place which is still well preserved. The hotel is a sight. I believe there are still 2-3 people who live there but its a big place to root around.

ohlode
08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
It may be restored within a few years beginning as early as next year but Bayhorse is unique. Looks like someone just walked out and locked the gate behind them. Quite run down but there all the same. In private ownership currently. (Umont Mining Co.) The great State of Idaho is in the process of purchase consideration for restoration and opening to the public as part of the Yankee Fork Mining District preservation. Bayhorse canyon is home to numerous mines; the Ramshorn and Beardsley Groups are the primary ones.
Dates from the original 1877 Ramshorn Lode discovery. (fellow named Timothy Cooper was hunting Big Horn sheep and shot a Ram way up on the ridgeline; the Ram's horn lay over an incredibly rich and exposed silver vein) Investors included one Orange J. Salisbury (wealthy mormon; founder of the first Bank of Deadwood; Idaho Stage Company, etc.); the Hearst's, George and Phoebe; Lloyd Tevis (Wells Fargo President); J.B. Haggin (THE Homestake Mine & triple crown racehorses) Numerous other personalities including the reverend Ballard S. Dunn, a Confederate chaplain and early war deserter who led a contingent of southerners to Brazil in 1861 - 62 to form a southern colony there. His book is quite famous. Some other mines in the canyon are the Excelsior, Post Boy, Riverview, Utah Boy, Juliette, etc., etc.. Bayhorse is the quint-essential ghost town complete with a cemetery on the steep hillside opposite the town. It is so dark in this steep canyon at night that often you cannot see your hand in front of your face. Spooky? Oh, yes. Haunted? Must be.

josta
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
From what I've read; Eagle Mountain, CA is probably the most intact ghost town, although it is rather of recent vintage. There is a page here on this website about this former town.

John

pdjenks
01-09-2008, 02:18 PM
I am searching for canada/us small or big investors for ghost town investments.
I am surrounded by ghost towns,and would be very interested in individuals or groups to work with on this venture.
pdjenks@yahoo.ca
306-563-5480

HollyDolly
01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
:p Well there are several here in Texas.Hackberry,which is in either Fayette or Lavaca County,forget which has an old stone store building with iron shutters and a couple of victorian houses.
Nickel,in Gonzales county has just a store remaining.
Dilworth also in Gonzales County,has a few homes and i think the remains of a cotton gin.However,there is no longer a state highway sign pointing the way to Dilworth.
The same goes for SweetHome in Guadalupe County.There is a road called SweetHome Road that takes you to what remains of this old black community founded by former slaves.
All you see of Olmos also in Guadalupe County is a few homes and a store along the road .New Berlin, has a community center,and several homes and a couple of places that serve as stores and eating places. SweetHome has an active church.
There is also Sweet Home in Lavaca County,a Czech Catholic community that has a small population.
In Wilson County,Grey Town and Canada Verde have a small population.
Also there is Saspamco and Caleveras in Bexar County off of Loop1604 on the Old Corpus Christi road.There is Zorn in Guadalupe County on Texas Hwy 123 that can be explored.
Many of these towns can be found at www.texasescapes.com