PDA

View Full Version : Gilman Colorado

Ghosttowns.com
12-03-1998, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Highgrade Gary

: Any Colorado site fans out there know any history and present status of the mining town of Gilman? Located near Minturn and Redcliff. Entire site had a for-sale sign in front of the entrance a few years back. Last fall it was just fenced up.

Ghosttowns.com
01-01-1999, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Rich

:
: Gary:
: Gilman was the company town for a zinc mine located at the bottom of the Eagle River Canyon below the town. If I remember correctly, it was abandoned in the early 1980s. The last time I visited there (with permission) was in 1993; there were lots of houses and some commercial buildings (even a "ghost" bowling alley). The site is directly over the mountain from Vail, and they are currently negotiating to buy the site for expansion of the ski area.

Ghosttowns.com
01-01-1999, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Rich

:
: I forgot to mention that I have also visited the mine, which you can only reach by hiking in on the railroad grade from Red Cliff. (The miners went to work via a funicular railway from the top ,now fallen away). The mine is fascinating, with lots of structures left, but unfortunately the Eagle River has been horribly polluted because of it, and the area is now an EPA Superfund cleanup site.

Ghosttowns.com
09-07-1999, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Allison Johnson

: : Any Colorado site fans out there know any history and present status of the mining town of Gilman? Located near Minturn and Redcliff. Entire site had a for-sale sign in front of the entrance a few years back. Last fall it was just fenced up.

Ghosttowns.com
09-07-1999, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Allison

: :

: : I forgot to mention that I have also visited the mine, which you can only reach by hiking in on the railroad grade from Red Cliff. (The miners went to work via a funicular railway from the top ,now fallen away). The mine is fascinating, with lots of structures left, but unfortunately the Eagle River has been horribly polluted because of it, and the area is now an EPA Superfund cleanup site.

Ghosttowns.com
11-19-1999, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Erica

: I am very interested to find out exactly why it was abandoned in the early '80s. I heard that there was some sort of water contamination and that the resident's were forced to evacuate within a 24 hour period.

: Who owns the town now?

: If anyone has information on this, I would be eager to hear it.

: Thanks,

: Erica

Ghosttowns.com
01-08-2000, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Trey Irwin

: : Any Colorado site fans out there know any history and present status of the mining town of Gilman? Located near Minturn and Redcliff. Entire site had a for-sale sign in front of the entrance a few years back. Last fall it was just fenced up.

Ghosttowns.com
09-04-2000, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Josh

: Yes if you still care

Ghosttowns.com
07-10-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lady

: It is a kick *** place, i snuck in with my buddy in march, it was freezing and the snow was up to our waists, but wow, it is so neat, like all the houses and stuff, they are all still there, and the main mining building, there is even a tractor and all these tools in the shaft room, talk about creepy. the mining office is cool too, there are these stairs that are so cool in the winter, they are covered in ice and it is freaky...we didn't like vadalize or anything, we just looked around, and if you are into ghost towns and creepy ****, i would recomend going there, go into the mine office, it is the big gray green building around the last turn in the road, and down in the back at the bottom of a set of stairs is a big like safe room, it gives off one of those freaky oras...check it out, it is so cool.

Ghosttowns.com
07-13-2001, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by joanna lovato

: I am interested in finding out about any epa reports on this mine and any health risk assessments and/or health problems that have been identified????

Ghosttowns.com
09-09-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by T. Coriell

: : : Any Colorado site fans out there know any history and present status of the mining town of Gilman? Located near Minturn and Redcliff. Entire site had a for-sale sign in front of the entrance a few years back. Last fall it was just fenced up.

: : Yes if you still care

Ghosttowns.com
10-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by brian

: The mine was shutting down in '77, only miners with seniority would be staying (over 20 years), there was a bowling alley, rec center, 1 store, post office, most residents moved back to their home states, I lived there from '71- '77, haven't been back there since then.

Hollis Bennett
02-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I have been to Gilman about 8 times in the last 6 months. If any of you have seen a few guys in respirators ducking in and out of shadows, that was me and my associates. Anyways, the place is toxic as **** hence the evac. in 1984. Ground and water levels of cadmium, magnesium, mercury, arsenic and a few other tasty treats is in some place upwards of 500,000 times the tolerable limit. Obviously,, down in the valley near the production facilities it is at the highest but the town itself is no good either. Be careful there, I always wear gloves, boots and a respirator when in most buildings. Sometimes the tyvek suit and hardhat come out as well. Be careful.

RockerGirl77
03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
are you serious? i just found out about it & i was going to go in normal clothes & maybe a dusk mask thing but maybe i should re-think. my friend grew up near there & she said she's been a bunch but i don't think she dressed in anything special. where in the world does one get a respirator, anyway?

moparmechanic73
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi, the railroad is not the only way to visit the mine site. You can climb down the side of the mountain. It is alot faster but is more dangerous. I was just there this weekend and we camped down in the valley. We took the hill down and up with our packs. It can be done.