PDA

View Full Version : Apacheland

Ghosttowns.com
11-13-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Christina

: I happened to find Apacheland Movie Studios on Kings Ranch Road, off Hwy 60 in Gold Canyon, AZ. This place is fabulous. Its a former movie studio having filmed Paladin, Elvis Presley in CHarro, The Rifleman, Maverick, Clint Eastwood western films and a host of others. It is definitely worthwhile seeing. Original sets, a ghost town and a real western town. Lots going on there. Dont miss it!

Ghosttowns.com
11-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by kathy

: Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
: Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Is
: there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
: for an info that you probive.

Ghosttowns.com
11-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by kathy

: : Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
: : Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Are
: : there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
: : for an info that you probive.

Ghosttowns.com
11-16-2002, 02:30 PM

: : Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
: : Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Is
: : there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
: : for an info that you probive.

The Man In Black
09-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Greetings From The Man In Black ! I came across a site which deals with movie locations. A search for apacheland showed that the property had suffered a fire and was nearly destroyed. It had suffered a fire years ago and rebuilt the area, but this fire has pretty much knocked the life out of the old place. It's a shame because of the movie history there. They have moved a few of the remaining buildings, But I think it's now closed to the public.

Johnnie
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM

: I happened to find Apacheland Movie Studios on Kings Ranch Road, off Hwy 60 in Gold Canyon, AZ. This place is fabulous. Its a former movie studio having filmed Paladin, Elvis Presley in CHarro, The Rifleman, Maverick, Clint Eastwood western films and a host of others. It is definitely worthwhile seeing. Original sets, a ghost town and a real western town. Lots going on there. Dont miss it!Didn't John Wyane have some of his movies filmed there also???

J & S

Flatiron
03-10-2006, 03:20 AM
If anybody is interested , the church/chapel that used to be in Apacheland, is being reconstructed at the Superstition Mountain Museum on Hwy. 88 (Apache Trail) and from what I understand, some of the historical items that survived the fire at Apacheland are going to be placed in the museum. The chapel was used in quite a few westerns, including John Wayne and Elvis movies. I know it's not the "original", but I'm glad to see somebody takes a little interest in this stuff. If anybody gets out this way, you ought to stop at the museum, as it's well worth your time............

Apacheland Studio
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Apacheland was originally built as a theme park 1960 by Walt Disney designer Nat Winecoff who also designed Disneyland in what is now known as Gold Canyon, Arizona at the base of the Superstition Mountains. When the funding for the theme park fell through, investors turned the the main part of the park, which was the western town, into a movie studio set. Sad to say, John Wayne never filmed a movie at Apacheland. It was strictly for "B" Westerns and TV Westerns but many other actors before they became big stars got their start at Apacheland Studio such as, Steve McQueen, Jack Nickelson and Richard Boone. Big stars such as Jason Robards, Stella Stevens, and Elvis also filmed at Apacheland.

Right now we are in the process of rebuilding the entire town as it looked when first constructed in 1960. It will be located on a 10 acre section of the old 1,800 acre movie set and should be ready for the public by end of year 2006. We will have an Apacheland Museum displaying the complete history of the western town to seperate the truth from the fables. Enjoy!

Philip Rauso, Jr.
Apacheland Studio
Historian/Curator
www.ApachelandMuseum.org (http://www.ApachelandMuseum.org)

Johnnie
08-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Apacheland was originally built as a theme park 1960 by Walt Disney designer Nat Winecoff who also designed Disneyland in what is now known as Gold Canyon, Arizona at the base of the Superstition Mountains. When the funding for the theme park fell through, investors turned the the main part of the park, which was the western town, into a movie studio set. Sad to say, John Wayne never filmed a movie at Apacheland. It was strictly for "B" Westerns and TV Westerns but many other actors before they became big stars got their start at Apacheland Studio such as, Steve McQueen, Jack Nickelson and Richard Boone. Big stars such as Jason Robards, Stella Stevens, and Elvis also filmed at Apacheland.

Right now we are in the process of rebuilding the entire town as it looked when first constructed in 1960. It will be located on a 10 acre section of the old 1,800 acre movie set and should be ready for the public by end of year 2006. We will have an Apacheland Museum displaying the complete history of the western town to seperate the truth from the fables. Enjoy!

Philip Rauso, Jr.
Apacheland Studio
Historian/Curator
www.ApachelandMuseum.org (http://www.ApachelandMuseum.org)

Philip, how is your project coming? Please let us know so if any of us are in the area we can stop by and say hello.

Johnnie & Sheila

Theresagram
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I first started going to Apacheland back in 1972. Back then they told us that John Wayne had filmed there and they had what they said were his footprints in cement on display.

By 1974 my sister was dating one of the gunfighters out there and we went more often.

By 1976 I was dating a gunfighter there and we hung there all the time. I used to help with the music in some of the shows.

After they'd close at night, we'd all hang out in the saloon and listen to Hans Olson play.

Theresagram
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
The series Death Valley Days was also filmed there.

Theresagram
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I know we've got a number of pics that we took there over the years. I should dig them out....

onlyrusty45
02-12-2011, 07:08 AM
dear cristina apacheland did have a bad fire along time ago,it has been closed down for many many years, i grew up in apache junction in the 60's and when i went to apache junction high school i was in drama class the teachers name was eddie ruhoe we (the drama class) had a assignment to create a film we filmed it at apacheland being i was the shortest person i played a bartender ,i was suppose to stop these guys from fighting they were suppose to be acused in cheating at a card game then they were suppose to throw me out of the swinging doors and i was to do a flip around the horse hitching post during rehersal all went ok but during the filming the horse hiting rail broke and then the guy draged me down main street to a fake well and droped me in not knowing there was a nail protruding out and it jabed into my back and had to have a tetunus shot due to it was rusted, but no none of the buildings are on the lot no more the church has been moved and so has the barn , the movie studio has been long torn down , and i was growing up out there when charo was filmed at apacheland those were the good ole days ,the days when there were many jobs to be had and the goverment did not tell you that you had to have a back ground check to own a firearm ,and that you must be insured people were able to sleep better there were no gangs if there was they used thier fist not weapons ,there was not many things to do in apache junction other than to go to a drivein theater or to cayon lake ar to rosevelt lake or saugaro lake, or the old goldfield pond which now is closed and drained,or hike the superstitions or go to elviras mexican food which is still around there alot of places have closed like henrys it was like a dairy queen or los vasqueros which is closed oh we also use to sneak into the superstition inn swiming pool because it was the only regular pool out there available unless our parents took us to falcon field pool or rendevous park in mesa which had a high dive but sadly time change and older folks decided to vote and close these places then there were noplace for a youg teenager to go and aj has grown and changed goldfield became a tourist trap the mine they take people in is not the original mine bluebird mine is closed ,mining camp reastraunt is still there but not cheap but it has good bq ribs elviras is cheap and fantastic the best i ever had in my 54 years of life go check it out and enjoy arizona