PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Diablo, Az

Ghosttowns.com
12-14-1998, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Lucille B. Cruz

: Grew up at the trading post in Canyon Diablo, Az. and was amazed to find it listed.
: It does have quite a history. I remeber one story about how some cowboys robbed the bank or train in Winslow, Az.
: 35 miles east of the Canyon. They were arrested, or rather shot down by a posse at the Canyon. One of the robbers was shot and killed there
: he was buried at the cemetry that is still there, or should be if it hasn't been destroyed. Anyway, a few weeks later some of his companions decided
: they should have one last drink with him, and they did! They dug him up and took pictures of themselves having a drink with the departed!

mdair
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Lucille B. Cruz

: Grew up at the trading post in Canyon Diablo, Az. and was amazed to find it listed.
: It does have quite a history. I remeber one story about how some cowboys robbed the bank or train in Winslow, Az.
: 35 miles east of the Canyon. They were arrested, or rather shot down by a posse at the Canyon. One of the robbers was shot and killed there
: he was buried at the cemetry that is still there, or should be if it hasn't been destroyed. Anyway, a few weeks later some of his companions decided
: they should have one last drink with him, and they did! They dug him up and took pictures of themselves having a drink with the departed!

I also lived at Canyon Diablo Trading Post. It was around 1963 or 1964, when I was in 2nd grade, in Winslow. I have access to John Shaws grave marker ( J.S.)

Leonids
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
That would be really neat to see if either of you had photos from there from your childhood!

brian10x
06-16-2011, 01:15 AM
I think the first poster is long gone after 13 years.

bad bob
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I think the first poster is long gone after 13 years.

Heh heh heh. Good to "see" ya agin', Brian. :)

brian10x
06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I've been keeping a low profile, but I have been vigilantly monitoring you miscreants. Some day, God willing, I'll be back in the desert again.

bad bob
06-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been keeping a low profile, but I have been vigilantly monitoring you miscreants. Some day, God willing, I'll be back in the desert again.

Other than finances, I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime, and SR49 (the old stagecoach trail) has much to see, more interesting, and much cooler, regardless of all the shutterbugs "milling" around.

A long weekend loop, from B'field, up 49, then over to Carson & Virginia City, NV, down to Bodie, and return thru Yosemite NP is well worth the effort (IMO). Even faster if ya skip Yosemite. :p

brian10x
06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Other than finances, I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime, and SR49 (the old stagecoach trail) has much to see, more interesting, and much cooler, regardless of all the shutterbugs "milling" around.

A long weekend loop, from B'field, up 49, then over to Carson & Virginia City, NV, down to Bodie, and return thru Yosemite NP is well worth the effort (IMO). Even faster if ya skip Yosemite. :p

To be honest (please correct me if I err) I've been to all the "easy" ghost towns in and around Tucson multiple times, been to the "moderate" ones several times, and no longer have enough of a hard core 4x4 to attempt the "difficult" ones. I'm not really into long hikes to the places I can't get my truck, and there have been too many times that I've risked getting stuck, all alone, 50 years old, and overweight.

So I have resolved to explore vicariously through younger and better smelling GT hunters.
I keep checking in from time to time, hoping to see a post of one of the so-called "secret" ghost towns that are rumored to still exist.

Brian

"I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime,"

I appreciate the thought, but I'm currently unemployed, and gas is a killer, as you know!

bad bob
06-28-2011, 03:57 PM
To be honest (please correct me if I err) I've been to all the "easy" ghost towns in and around Tucson multiple times, been to the "moderate" ones several times, and no longer have enough of a hard core 4x4 to attempt the "difficult" ones. I'm not really into long hikes to the places I can't get my truck, and there have been too many times that I've risked getting stuck, all alone, 50 years old, and overweight.

So I have resolved to explore vicariously through younger and better smelling GT hunters.
I keep checking in from time to time, hoping to see a post of one of the so-called "secret" ghost towns that are rumored to still exist.

Brian

"I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime,"

I appreciate the thought, but I'm currently unemployed, and gas is a killer, as you know!

I'm only part-time employed over here, but I'd pick ya up at the local Greyhound depot, and we can take my Tahoe up 49. It gets great mileage even with the AC running all the time. :D

brian10x
06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm only part-time employed over here, but I'd pick ya up at the local Greyhound depot, and we can take my Tahoe up 49. It gets great mileage even with the AC running all the time. :D

Very tempting my friend. Maybe some day soon. I'm still at the stage where I'm looking up Chihuahua recipes on the internet.

Dang that critter is looking better every day!

BS

brian10x
06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Its a tossup. Nothing like grain-fed free-range Chihuahua.

bad bob
06-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Its a tossup. Nothing like grain-fed free-range Chihuahua.

OK there's one meal fer one. Then what? :confused: Course the Donners did boil their shoes & boots.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/10219208001

brian10x
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
My dogs go nuts over rawhide chew sticks. I'll bet I could lose a lot of weight if I did the same.

bad bob
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
My dogs go nuts over rawhide chew sticks. I'll bet I could lose a lot of weight if I did the same.

LOL, lemme know if it does. I got 100lbs that needs to go.

BTW, is it jes' me or has this place seemed to've slowed down quite a bit? Kinda like a
ghost town in here. :(

brian10x
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
From MY perspective it has slowed down. maybe all the good towns have been explored to death already, maybe the new generation just doesn't care?

I like to think I added a little spice (good or bad) when I was active here.

I was, and still am passionate about old West history and ghost towns. I think if I ever get 2 nickels to rub together again, I may broaden my horizons and in doing so darken your doorstep.

Thanks for being a friend,

Brian

bad bob
07-01-2011, 09:55 PM
From MY perspective it has slowed down. maybe all the good towns have been explored to death already, maybe the new generation just doesn't care?

I like to think I added a little spice (good or bad) when I was active here.

I was, and still am passionate about old West history and ghost towns. I think if I ever get 2 nickels to rub together again, I may broaden my horizons and in doing so darken your doorstep.

Thanks for being a friend,

Brian

My pleasure, Brian.

And I also love the old wild west history a lot. From Historic Trails to stagecoach robberies, to Northfield, MN, love all of it.

Oh yeah, those were the days in here, (actually not all that long ago), postin' some wild pics with miss Laura, you, and a few others. Pretty sure you took the blue ribbon for wildest posts. Kinda got some of the "shirts: in a tizzy, but wth. If you concentrate your energy into brainstorming for ways to pay the bills, I guarantee positive results. Making a hobby into a business, or sales, you have experience as Service Writer, I mean the list is only limited by yer imagination.

Again, yer welcome here anytime. Lots of old historic places to see, such as Coloma, the site of the 1848-49 CA gold rush. CA didn't officially become a State of the Union until 1850. Take care.
bb.

bob3 was bob2
07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I have noticed a major slow down as well, but I think it has a lot to do with the very poor economy, at least that is why I haven't been out as much as I would like to be. It's nearly impossible to find employment out there, even with a college degree. I am sure the cost of fuel hasn't helped much either. I have resorted to posting old photos on my site since I haven't been out in a while, but I plan on getting out and doing some exploring in a week or so.

bad bob
07-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I have noticed a major slow down as well, but I think it has a lot to do with the very poor economy, at least that is why I haven't been out as much as I would like to be. It's nearly impossible to find employment out there, even with a college degree. I am sure the cost of fuel hasn't helped much either. I have resorted to posting old photos on my site since I haven't been out in a while, but I plan on getting out and doing some exploring in a week or so.

You're right of course, Bob. I always thought the forum could also be used for casual disccussions, especially during "off seasons". But I'm glad to see you are getting back out, and looking fwd to reading about your latest travels. :)

teds280z
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Well everyone I am one of the guilty ones for not being on the forum for a while. Left the VA in Feb '09 and haven't done much since. But I did start a post in the Other forum to find out what all us old Geezers have been doing, hopefully get the old times back even if we can't get out as much. I remember Brian and how he could intimidate certain things being quoted by users not watching their backs around him. LOL.