PDA

View Full Version : Eastern US Ghost Towns

Ghosttowns.com
12-16-1998, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Ernie

: Eastern Ghost Towns????
: I know of an area in CT that has ?ghost towns? There are granite quarries that were worked back at the turn of the century. There was a whole town in this area and some remains can still be found. Knowing where to look foundations can be found as well as hand hewn nails etc. What does anyone think?????

Ghosttowns.com
12-17-1998, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by kathy

: : Eastern Ghost Towns????
: : I know of an area in CT that has ?ghost towns? There are granite quarries that were worked back at the turn of the century. There was a whole town in this area and some remains can still be found. Knowing where to look foundations can be found as well as hand hewn nails etc. What does anyone think?????

: I do genealogy and to go to my great grandparents
: graves, I have to go thru a cow pasture (be sure and
: shut the gate). The town was Gilbirds, Illinois.
: A few houses left with residents, but no outward
: signs that a town was once there. The road was
: changed, which is the reason for the cemetery entrance.
: I guess this could be considered a ghost town.

Ghosttowns.com
12-17-1998, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ernie

: : : Eastern Ghost Towns????
: : : I know of an area in CT that has ?ghost towns? There are granite quarries that were worked back at the turn of the century. There was a whole town in this area and some remains can still be found. Knowing where to look foundations can be found as well as hand hewn nails etc. What does anyone think?????

: : I do genealogy and to go to my great grandparents
: : graves, I have to go thru a cow pasture (be sure and
: : shut the gate). The town was Gilbirds, Illinois.
: : A few houses left with residents, but no outward
: : signs that a town was once there. The road was
: : changed, which is the reason for the cemetery entrance.
: : I guess this could be considered a ghost town.

: How about the towns that are no longer there or the ones that have been moved because of reservoirs? As in quabbin in central MA. I notice that there are several underwater towns mentioned in the western states listed.

Ghosttowns.com
01-24-1999, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Robert

: I know of some ghost towns in the old mining areas of the upper penninsula of Michigan. And I have also visited some ghost towns in South Dakota. I wouldn't be suprised if the good people of ghosttowns.com eventually work their way east and add the rest of the nation to their site, liberating us state by state. They are doing a great job of putting together a wonderful resource for us ghosttowners. And this web site privides for everyone in any part of the country (or even other countries) to chat about ghost towns wherever we find them.

Ghosttowns.com
01-24-1999, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Robert

: I want to add also that I have been told that there are some pretty good ghost towns in the old mining areas in the hills of Pennsylvania. I have not, as of yet, checked further into that. So I can't say if it's true.

Ghosttowns.com
02-24-1999, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Chuck Flood

: There are a number of ghost towns in New England. Look for a copy of Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England. A couple of good ones:

: Cotton Hollow, CT

: *** City, CT

: Dogtown, MA

: Shaftsbury, VT

Ghosttowns.com
05-16-1999, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by gough

: : I know of some ghost towns in the old mining areas of the upper penninsula of Michigan. And I have also visited some ghost towns in South Dakota. I wouldn't be suprised if the good people of ghosttowns.com eventually work their way east and add the rest of the nation to their site, liberating us state by state. They are doing a great job of putting together a wonderful resource for us ghosttowners. And this web site privides for everyone in any part of the country (or even other countries) to chat about ghost towns wherever we find them.

Ghosttowns.com
08-09-1999, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jenniffer

: I am looking for a ghost town located near Tennessee that my parents visited years ago. Any info would be appreciated, please email me.

: Thanks

Ghosttowns.com
07-04-2000, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by SANDY BARKER

: : There are a number of ghost towns in New England. Look for a copy of Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England. A couple of good ones:

: : Cotton Hollow, CT

: : *** City, CT

: : Dogtown, MA

: : Shaftsbury, VT

Ghosttowns.com
07-04-2000, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by SANDY BARKER

: : There are a number of ghost towns in New England. Look for a copy of Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England. A couple of good ones:

: : Cotton Hollow, CT

: : *** City, CT

: : Dogtown, MA

: : Shaftsbury, VT

: any idea of the locations of the CT. towns? could'nt find them on the map.

Ghosttowns.com
07-21-2000, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by sandy barker

: : : There are a number of ghost towns in New England. Look for a copy of Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England. A couple of good ones:

: : : Cotton Hollow, CT

: : : *** City, CT

: : : Dogtown, MA

: : : Shaftsbury, VT

Ghosttowns.com
07-21-2000, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sandy barker

: : : There are a number of ghost towns in New England. Look for a copy of Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England. A couple of good ones:

: : : Cotton Hollow, CT

: : : *** City, CT

: : : Dogtown, MA

: : : Shaftsbury, VT

: WHERE ARE THESE TOWNS IN CONNECTICUT? I CAN'T LOCATE THEM ON THE MAP.

Ghosttowns.com
12-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by tony

: how about dudleytown?m located within cornwall,
: litchfield county, northwestern conn.
: it is located on a private nature reserve near u.s. highway 7 , and can be reached via "dark entry road". the road ends and you must walk into dudleytown. paranormal activity has been reported.
: it is within a PRIVATE nature reserve so honor there wishes!

ghamilton
04-21-2004, 05:36 PM
E .Ghost seem to come in two varieties.Gone and dying.Clover,Va is a very interesting dying example.Once a prosperous and important town.It has to be seen to be believed.The Richmond Times Dispact had a good article on it about 5 years or so ago.Port Wathall on the Appomattox River is on of the gonest for what was a big important port town.Parts of Petersburg actually have a colonial ghost town quality.The townsite across and downriver from Wilmington,N.C. is a real atmoshere trip,with the church ruins and street grid.The civil war earthworks superimposed give it a multi-era quality.I believe it is called Brunswick Town.Ft.Darling at Drewery's Bluff is a must see near Richmond.It was huge and held off the Yankee navy,including the vaunted Monitor.Fincastle was once nearly a ghost town,but no more.The drive n.from Fincastle and then west through the Nat'l forest past the Barbour's Creek area is truly ghostly.You get to Newcastle,a real time warp.Clifton Forge is a weird place.Wait a few years and Martinsville will be a ghost town when the last textile and furniture plant is closed.Thanks for buying american products.Lane cedar chests are now made in red china.Visit the former huge Lane plants in Rocky Mount and Alta Vista.Some days in va and nc I can pass over 40 closed textile plants.Atleast try and buy USA made jeans.There are some if you read the labels.No More Levi's of course,but there are Wranglers avail.for a while longer. Note:Clover is W of US 360 between Burkeville and S.Boston.A similar semi-ghost is Alberta,just off US 1 S. of Petersburg.Visit Boydton,W.of South Boston,Va.The place looks like a movie set for several eras of your choice.On the new base closure list is the most unique "ghost town"in the country-Ft.Monroe.It is a living ghost of 1850-1890.The only moted fortress the army still is using,against its will.It has wanted to dump the place for a long time,but no agency is stupid enough to take it off their hands.Has to be preserved,since it is all a museum.Visit it soon.

entityseekers
04-29-2004, 08:45 AM
I live in CT and wanted to at least let you know that *** City is actually a state park that is located in Hebron CT. Thats probably one reason you are unable to find it on a map, here is a link to the parks website....

http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks/gaycity.htm

I have been to it myself on short day trips looking around for different historical cemeteries to check out with my group. I hope this helps you a little.

Sincerely,
Ellie

subyrally
05-17-2004, 07:47 AM
i am searching for a gt in the central maryland area.as well as northern va, eastern wva, and southern pa. any info??