PDA

View Full Version : to the lady who wrote about Orr,oklahoma

Ghosttowns.com
02-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by kris gregg

: To the lady who wrote about orr, you have your stuff wrong the town of Orr is is Love county and in Carter but most people usually consider it in Love. I was born and brought up there and now i am in Ringling,but my mother and step father have lived there there whole lives. And what you called the remains of a bank yes is true but there is also an old school it now even has a plack they put in front of it. There is also less than 100 people that live there. Thank you for your time.

Ghosttowns.com
06-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Shelley Brinton

: Is there a cemetery in Orr? I am trying to followup on some leads for geneology work. I am trying to locate burial site for Jule Tupin, my great-great grandfather. He had a son named Jess Tupin. We do not know the name of Jess' mother. I think Jule may have lived in Orr, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me out? Shelley

Ghosttowns.com
07-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by R. Edwards

: Shelly,

: I'm not the one who originally wrote about Orr. But my dad grew up there and I can tell you that there is a cemetary there. My grandparents are buried there. There is also a cemetary a few miles up the road from Orr called Crow Cemetary. A lot of people refer to that whole area as Orr. So you might take a look at both of them. They are within a short drive of each other.
: R. Edwards

Ghosttowns.com
09-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by lori claxton

: : Shelly,

: i live not far from the orr cemetary. if you would like i can see what i can find out for you. my family also came from orr.

Ghosttowns.com
09-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by lori claxton

: : : Shelly,

: : i live not far from the orr cemetary. if you would like i can see what i can find out for you. my family also came from orr.
: lori

jodiecd
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by R. Edwards

: Shelly,

: I'm not the one who originally wrote about Orr. But my dad grew up there and I can tell you that there is a cemetary there. My grandparents are buried there. There is also a cemetary a few miles up the road from Orr called Crow Cemetary. A lot of people refer to that whole area as Orr. So you might take a look at both of them. They are within a short drive of each other.
: R. Edwards
:Hello; I am a newby. I have a GrandMother buried somewhere in Ok in 1914( 1914 ). I have been told the cem. was called Wilson Crow or Wilson Creek in Carter County. I just this past weekend located (with some nice folks in Ardmore Ok. the Crow Cem. in Love County.
My GrandMother's name was Nancy S. Dobbins, and her Daughter Ava Lee Dobbins may be buried in your Crow Cem.
Is there anyone that has a list of folks buried there? If no list what would be the best route to get there from Fort Worth. I will come up some warm day if I can get good directions.
Thanks for any help
Jodie

brunercda
05-23-2004, 04:14 PM
5/23/04 I lived in Orr, OK when I was about six years old. Also lived in Cornish (?) where I started school and later in Wilson where I had been born. My grandmother and grandfather as well as an uncle and aunt and a bunch of cousins also lived near there. I am 70 now and have lived in Idaho for many years.

I remember the big mullberry tree in the town square near the store, the blacksmith shop and the school across the square from us. I remember the square as just being a grassy field with the tree in it but that was a very long time ago.
Would be glad to correspond with anyone interested.

AWB

Ian
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I'm also a newbie here and would be interested in finding out about the Orr's that lived in this area. My Orr family left Indiana in the 1860's and went out west...where we lost them.
If anyone has any cemetery info (burials listed), photos or any info..I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!
Mark Orr
mpcc@insightbb.com

bad bob
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Have you already tried tracing via genealogy? It's can be a lengthy process, but usually produces a wealth of info.

Ian
11-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Bob...yes..I've done a lot of research about the Orr's in Indiana....but when it comes to my great great grandmother...we are lost.
Emma Orr (1856-1930) was an indentured servant from another country (thought to be England or Ireland). I know all about her children...but not her siblings or parents.
I think they all moved west and Emma stayed here in Indiana.
It's a mystery.

LauraA
11-21-2007, 04:32 AM
Ian, There are two Orrs buried in this ranch cemetery. Although not the Orrs you're looking for, perhaps it can offer you a lead.Horseshoe Ranch Cemetery - Murray County, Oklahoma (http://interment.net/data/us/ok/murray/horseshoe/index.htm)
Also, there's a map to Orr Cemetery on this site. My Cemeteries USA, OK Counties (http://mycemeteries.com/USAOKlove.htm)
If all else fails, there's always 1880 United States Federal Census -Ancestry.com (http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=6742&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0) but it can be quite time consuming.

bad bob
11-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Say Louisa...I mean.. LauraA
How you manage to provide all these links is rather quite amazing (IMO). :eek:

Psssst..you COULD share your sources with an "old" friend so that hacking won't become necessary, including ..you know, the icons I've been after for about the last 25 years or so.

Have a good holiday. :)

LauraA
11-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Say Louisa...I mean.. LauraA
How you manage to provide all these links is rather quite amazing (IMO). :eek:
Just call it Yankee ingenuity ;)

Psssst..you COULD share your sources with an "old" friend so that hacking won't become necessary, including ..you know, the icons I've been after for about the last 25 years or so.

Wow, time has flown! In the spirit of our "old" friendship, I'll send you an email...with a few links

Have a good holiday.
You too mi Amigo :)

GDreyer310
08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi, My Great Grandparents lived in Orr,OK. when i was a kid. Their names John Q Porter and Winnie Porter, i used to go their with my Grandparents every year. Byron Porter was my cousin. They have all passed on now, i haven"t bin back in a long time now. I have some other cousins their i have lost contact with. I now live in Montana, I'm Gary Dreyer;

Don Grizzelle
07-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi, My Great Grandparents lived in Orr,OK. when i was a kid. Their names John Q Porter and Winnie Porter, i used to go their with my Grandparents every year. Byron Porter was my cousin. They have all passed on now, i haven"t bin back in a long time now. I have some other cousins their i have lost contact with. I now live in Montana, I'm Gary Dreyer;

My dad was a Grizzelle, and was born and raised in Orr. He had a bunch of cousins with the last name of Porter. They were from Oklahoma, but I don't know if they were from Orr. My grand mother was a Lee. I think that I am kin to half the people in Carter, and Love county.

don grizzelle
Fort Worth, TX

charles walker
03-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Hi Gary,

I grew up at Orr, OK and knew lots of Porters, several of whom married some of my family. There are two children of John Q. and Winnie Porter still living. Both of them live in Ringling, OK. J. Q. Porter is one and Helen Wyche is the other. J. Q. had two children; Mike lives in Oklahoma City (I believe) and Janice Herrington lives north of Orr. I knew Byron Porter when he was a kid but he was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident many years ago. His father was Guy Porter. Guy was a rancher and lived south of Ringling when I knew him but moved into Ringling before he died. If you retrieve this message and would like to ask any questions please feel free to do so. Charles Walker, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

charles walker
03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
My dad was a Grizzelle, and was born and raised in Orr. He had a bunch of cousins with the last name of Porter. They were from Oklahoma, but I don't know if they were from Orr. My grand mother was a Lee. I think that I am kin to half the people in Carter, and Love county.

don grizzelle
Fort Worth, TX

Hi Don,

Your grandfather's name was Tom Grizzelle (b. 1880, d. 1965) and your grandmother's name was Myrtle Lee Grizzelle (b. 1883, d. 1971). They lived a short distance north of the Orr Cemetery before moving to Wilson, OK in Carter County back in the 1940s. The Lee family was a large one and they lived about 5 miles east of Orr, OK. Myrtle's sister married Levi Hale who was a blacksmith (later auto mechanic) at Orr. Tom and Myrtle had a son by the name of Thomas who was older that me but I did meet him in later years. I believe he was a teacher and was instrumental in establishing a WWII museum in Marietta, OK. I believe Tom Grizzelle worked at the Goins blacksmith shop at Orr in the early 1900s (I have a picture of the shop with Tom in it). If you retrieve this message and have any questions I'd be pleased to respond. Charles Walker, Fort Lauderdale, FL

charles walker
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Shelley Brinton

: Is there a cemetery in Orr? I am trying to followup on some leads for geneology work. I am trying to locate burial site for Jule Tupin, my great-great grandfather. He had a son named Jess Tupin. We do not know the name of Jess' mother. I think Jule may have lived in Orr, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me out? Shelley

Hi Shelley,

I posted a reply to your question about the Tupin family that lived at Orr, OK, but must've done something wrong because I don't find where it was posted. You asked the question a long time ago but I've just now discovered it, so maybe what I write is now irrelevant. I grew up east of Orr and the Tupin family lived less than 2 miles from where I grew up. They lived on a farm that adjoined that of my Walker grandparents and the Tupin and Walker families were good friends. Your great-great-grandfather most likely was J. L. Tupin (b. 1855, d. 1924) who is in the Orr Cemetery. His wife was Ida Eaton (b. 1875, d. 1966) and she is in the Orr Cemetery as well. Also there is Juanita Tupin (b. 1913, d. 1929) in the Orr Cemetery and infant babies of Clutchene Tupin Jordan
(1927). Clutchene was certainly a daughter of J. L. and Ida Eaton and I believe Juanita was as well. Clutchene and her husband "Snowball" Jordan lived north of Orr for a great many years as did her brother, Lester. "Snowball" and Clutchene are in the Reck Cemetery in Carter County, OK. J. L. Tupin shot himself in 1924. This was an event that shocked the community and I heard people talking about it when I was growing up. I was born less than a mile from where the Tupin family lived. The Tupin children attended school at the OSavior School and were contemporaries of my father, mother, and aunts and uncles on both sides of my family. I have a picture of the OSavior School students taken in 1916 that has several Tupin children in it. If you retrieve this message and would like to ask any questions, please feel free to contact me. Charles Walker, Fort Lauderdale, FL (crwalker2@me.com).