PDA

View Full Version : Smuggler's Cave

Ghosttowns.com
03-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Space Cowboy

: Hey Johnnie,

: You and I both got articles at Cecileís ĎExplore Historic Californiaí site, but mineís about camping with kids in the Mojave, and youíre writing about my most favorite place on the planet, Moon Valley.

: Do you know anything about the old cabin that recently burned down about a quarter of a miles south-east of Smugglerís Cave? I say recently, but itís probably been two years now. Iím interested in this area a whole lot, and I canít say I know of any mica mines. I donít see them on the topo, so that makes it most interesting. Iíve been all through the Elliott Mine up on Taheí. Do you know anything about that operation? Iím very interested in finding out more about the massacre of Indians back in the 1870s north east of Jacumba. Iíve read all the stock stuff, but Iíd dearly love the names of the participants. Iíve crawled all over that area, trying to find out more, but of course the vast majority of the Ďranchitaí is now underneath the freeway. Do you know the name of the volunteer that ran the In-Ko-Pah County Park for so many years, like from 1968 until they closed it for good? Do you know anything about ĎIndian Cavesí in the old park? Have you ever noticed the ĎBromoseltzerí ad painted on the rock on the power line access road., or the vertical mine shaft not too far from the massacre sight? This area is so packed with history, and yet, even with poring over everything I could find at the California Room at the Main Library and the San Diego Historical Societyís archives, Iíve had little success. Iíll share what I know with you if you share what you know with me. For instance, did you know thereís a second Smugglerís Cave?

Ghosttowns.com
03-06-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Johnnie

: : Hey Johnnie,

: : You and I both got articles at Cecileís ĎExplore Historic Californiaí site, but mineís about camping with kids in the Mojave, and youíre writing about my most favorite place on the planet, Moon Valley.

: : Do you know anything about the old cabin that recently burned down about a quarter of a miles south-east of Smugglerís Cave? I say recently, but itís probably been two years now. Iím interested in this area a whole lot, and I canít say I know of any mica mines. I donít see them on the topo, so that makes it most interesting. Iíve been all through the Elliott Mine up on Taheí. Do you know anything about that operation? Iím very interested in finding out more about the massacre of Indians back in the 1870s north east of Jacumba. Iíve read all the stock stuff, but Iíd dearly love the names of the participants. Iíve crawled all over that area, trying to find out more, but of course the vast majority of the Ďranchitaí is now underneath the freeway. Do you know the name of the volunteer that ran the In-Ko-Pah County Park for so many years, like from 1968 until they closed it for good? Do you know anything about ĎIndian Cavesí in the old park? Have you ever noticed the ĎBromoseltzerí ad painted on the rock on the power line access road., or the vertical mine shaft not too far from the massacre sight? This area is so packed with history, and yet, even with poring over everything I could find at the California Room at the Main Library and the San Diego Historical Societyís archives, Iíve had little success. Iíll share what I know with you if you share what you know with me. For instance, did you know thereís a second Smugglerís Cave?
:
: Hello! David I did not think I would get so much responce on that story, I got several e-mails and your the one that seems to have the most knowledge of the area I have "not" been in the area of the cave since the late fiftys so much of the aera I know has change, so It's going to take some time to round up any more information, It is all in my archives of years of collecting, so bare with me I will post my findings, as soon I get some more time.

: Take Care
: Johnnie

Ghosttowns.com
03-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Cecile

: Hey, guys! Thanks for the great articles from both of you! And glad you two got acquainted! Look forward to posting part II of your camping trip next month, Space Cowboy, and Johnnie, I'm always pleased to hear from and publish whatever I can on the site for others to enjoy! Nice to know there are so many of us that enjoy the same type of things and are willing to share it with others.

: Anyone else want to send me a story about their camping experiences or favorite ghost town visit, or something related to California history, I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if I can use it, by the way. Can't pay you for your efforts, but you'll get the joy of sharing with others and seeing your article or pictures online.

: : Hey Johnnie,

: : You and I both got articles at Cecileís ĎExplore Historic Californiaí site, but mineís about camping with kids in the Mojave, and youíre writing about my most favorite place on the planet, Moon Valley.

: : Do you know anything about the old cabin that recently burned down about a quarter of a miles south-east of Smugglerís Cave? I say recently, but itís probably been two years now. Iím interested in this area a whole lot, and I canít say I know of any mica mines. I donít see them on the topo, so that makes it most interesting. Iíve been all through the Elliott Mine up on Taheí. Do you know anything about that operation? Iím very interested in finding out more about the massacre of Indians back in the 1870s north east of Jacumba. Iíve read all the stock stuff, but Iíd dearly love the names of the participants. Iíve crawled all over that area, trying to find out more, but of course the vast majority of the Ďranchitaí is now underneath the freeway. Do you know the name of the volunteer that ran the In-Ko-Pah County Park for so many years, like from 1968 until they closed it for good? Do you know anything about ĎIndian Cavesí in the old park? Have you ever noticed the ĎBromoseltzerí ad painted on the rock on the power line access road., or the vertical mine shaft not too far from the massacre sight? This area is so packed with history, and yet, even with poring over everything I could find at the California Room at the Main Library and the San Diego Historical Societyís archives, Iíve had little success. Iíll share what I know with you if you share what you know with me. For instance, did you know thereís a second Smugglerís Cave?

Ghosttowns.com
03-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Space Cowboy

: Johnnie,

: I've tried to e-mail you, but I keep getting it kicked back. Drop me a line: dmsftr@authorsden.com