PDA

View Full Version : George Ives, Desperado

Ghosttowns.com
02-20-1999, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Kristin

: While looking through various sources for information regarding ghost town histories, I came across some widely diverse accounts of the life of George Ives, who was hung in Nevada City in 1863--perhaps wrongly--for murder.

: If anyone has encountered detailed information about this man's life, or knows of a good website that focuses on crime on the mining frontier, I'd love to hear about it. (I'm especially interested in sources that may include personal letters and/or photographs.)

Ghosttowns.com
02-21-1999, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: : While looking through various sources for information regarding ghost town histories, I came across some widely diverse accounts of the life of George Ives, who was hung in Nevada City in 1863--perhaps wrongly--for murder.

: : If anyone has encountered detailed information about this man's life, or knows of a good website that focuses on crime on the mining frontier, I'd love to hear about it. (I'm especially interested in sources that may include personal letters and/or photographs.)

: REPLY

: I recommend the book GUNFIGHTERS, HIGHWAYMEN & VIGILANTES by McGrath, Roger D., 1984. The book focuses primarily on the Bodie/Aurora region, but fits your last request on crime on the mining frontier. Chapters include: Politics, the Civil War and the Boundary; Robbery, Rowdyism and Combat; The Daly Gang; Violence and Minorities; Women, Juveniles and Violence; In Illegal Pursuit of Wealth; The Badmen of Bodie; Vigilantism. The book is paperback, 291 pages. It retails most places in eastern California and western Nevada for around $15.00.