: because the house looked like a house you would see in the

: South rather than in Nevada. I'm also interested in

: the name of the creek in the canyon. On old maps it

: is named ****** Creek, but on newer maps they changed

: it to Negro Creek. If anyone has any info, I would be

: very interested.

Ghosttowns.com
10-11-1999, 10:25 PM
Hello. I have some information on the name of ****** Creek. When I was going to High School in central Minnesota, my US History teacher told our class lots of stories about the local area. One lake nearby was called ****** Lake for years. The story on how the lake got it's name went something like this: Appaerntly, during the 1800s, an escaped or free slave made his way to Minnesota and came to subsist on the land around the lake. He had built himself a small dugout in a hillside on the lake. All the locals knew of the eccentric black man living on the lake and the lake came to be known as ****** Lake. One spring the old black man dissapeared. No one knows what happened to him, but most people figured that he had fallen through the ice and drown...

: Neat little story, eh? Well, as it turns out, I was leafing through an outdoors magazine one day and came across an article about a Negro Creek in Michigan. Appaerntly this creek got its name in much the same way as my lake in Minnesote -- i.e., an escaped slave lived around it and supposedly drown in it one year...

: If your Negro creek has a similar story behind it, I'd love to hear about it -- we may have stumbled upon some sort of American counrty folklore.

GaryB
08-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I was talking to a extended family relation the other day and he told me about this place out of the blue when he heard I was into ghost towns. I always thought it was hoax, but he knew some of the history. He wasn't sure if they were run away slaves or just free blacks after the civil war, but it was supposed to be a community of southern blacks that started it and lived there. I checked into some of my maps and found what the previous poster did, in the names being changed on the creek. In fact, I think it has even been changed again.

The weird thing I cannot find any article of mention about this place as even existing. Under any name.

Next time I'm up there, I plan on trying to hit this area and see if anything is left. I also have some contacts up there that might be able to check it out. Moriah is covered with old mines and cabins, so it could be a legitimate site.