PDA

View Full Version : Warm Springs, NV

Ghosttowns.com
03-09-1999, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Adumb

: I am looking for any info on an old site called "Warm Springs, Nevada". I stumbled upon it accidentally, where highway #375 meets Highway 6 in Nevada. On an old map I found the site is titled Warm Springs but I cannot find any history on it.

Ghosttowns.com
03-11-1999, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Last time I was through there was in 1993. I recall that there were several stone structures, obviously inhabited, but no business was open. Most of the structures appear old, but there is also a lot of modern junk scattered around the property. I believe this was a typical small community based upon servicing travelers during the early days of auto travel, when settlements tended to be several hours to a day's travel apart, but as far as I know there is no connection with mining.

Ghosttowns.com
05-11-1999, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by David A. Wright

: REPLY:

: I was through Warm Springs about a month ago and found it deserted. The buildings are there, but obviously abandoned. Appeared to be a cafe/gas station building, plus a few dwellings. Only people there that day were parked in a couple of motor homes taking a break from their travels.

Ghosttowns.com
05-12-1999, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Adam

: Maybe we aren't talking about the same place, when I passed through there I found 2 completely abandoned shacks, an old rock wall in a 50 foot circle, and parts of an old fence. The shack was falling apart, with a dirt floor and what looked like a wooden frame of an old bed. I do have pictures but I don't want to post them yet because I am not sure of the name of the site.

Ghosttowns.com
06-15-1999, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Milt Freberg

: : I am looking for any info on an old site called "Warm Springs, Nevada". I stumbled upon it accidentally, where highway #375 meets Highway 6 in Nevada. On an old map I found the site is titled Warm Springs but I cannot find any history on it.

: I used to work not far from your Warm Springs, Nv.

: in fact they served up some of the best hamburgers

: around at the time. When I worked at Reveille, which is about 20 miles from Warm Springs, it was the only place to access a phone, food, or lodging for about 50 miles in any direction. I really doubt that there is much, if anything, left around those parts today.

Ghosttowns.com
10-31-2000, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Norm

: : I am looking for any info on an old site called "Warm Springs, Nevada". I stumbled upon it accidentally, where highway #375 meets Highway 6 in Nevada. On an old map I found the site is titled Warm Springs but I cannot find any history on it.

: Was there in late June 2000 and found it to be abandoned as well. The stone wall still has me puzzled and another is at Reveille Mill a few miles south of there. Maybe for livestock? Been looking for info about it but seems to have been a hot bath type of resort for the hot springs.

Ghosttowns.com
08-08-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill Johansson

: I was there in August of 1999 - and may pass by again next week (August 2001). Here's what's written about it in the Nevada highway guide that I think came out in 1939(p. 244)(you might find it in "some" libraries):

: "WARM SPRINGS (cabins, bathing, limited supplies, horses,guides ... on the eastern side of the Hot Creek Range, is another base of deer hunters. Not far away is a small rock house built in 1866 as a shelter for travelers. For many years it was a stopping-place for stagecoaches and freight teams on the Tonopah-Ely route."

: The book, Hot Springs of Nevada has an entry on Warm Springs. You can order from:

: Tree By The River Publishing

: P.O.Box 20703-NH

: Carson City, Nevada 89721

: A more or less recent issue of Nevada Magazine (I forget when exactly) mentions Warm Springs.

: Sincerely,

: Bill Johansson

Ghosttowns.com
09-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA.

: I was there a few weeks ago. Such an odd place. It was an abadoned coffeeshop with a bar adjacent. There was also an old Motrcourt next to it that was also empty. I stopped to get a cup of coffee at this junction but the places were boarded up . Seemed timeless though.of a bygone age. I hope they dont tear down the buildings. Didbt see the circular stone fences.

Ghosttowns.com
09-19-2001, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Laci Robb

: I used to spend time in Warm Springs as a child. This was in the 80's and it was a very nice resort. It was kind of like Beaver Dam except for it was based around a bunch of warm springs - hot water pools. There were lots that people owned and there was a club house and pool and small gas station. What has happened, I have so many good memories there??

Ghosttowns.com
11-09-2001, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by John

: : Maybe we aren't talking about the same place, when I passed through there I found 2 completely abandoned shacks, an old rock wall in a 50 foot circle, and parts of an old fence. The shack was falling apart, with a dirt floor and what looked like a wooden frame of an old bed. I do have pictures but I don't want to post them yet because I am not sure of the name of the site.

Ghosttowns.com
11-09-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by John

: I was there day before yesterday. The springs are flowing (private property-no trespass sign), the empty pool is fenced and the main building is boarded up. Across the highway is another vacant building. I wonder who owns the property.

Ghosttowns.com
11-26-2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Wyatt

: The property is privately owned, as I found out from a local ranching family, HW patrol officer and military officials.

: The property does have ties to several mines in the area, close to the springs and old dwellings. The property has been desserted and defunct for many years now, and is mainly a cattle ranching water asset to the owners.

: FYI- The mines in the area, as well as the springs have been geo-chemically tested and accounted for. The US DOD and DOE have multiple mines and TOXIC waste storage facilities in the area. Arsenic, potasium-chloride, cacium-chloride and other HIGHLY toxic substances have been found in the area. I would recomend NOT soaking or venturing too far into the surounding areas at this time!

: Hope this is helpfull to y'all.

: Wyatt

Ghosttowns.com
05-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Chris

: Warm Springs, at the intersection of Highway 6 and what is now Highway 375, started out as a ranching community (Texas Longhorn and sheep mostly) with corral, stables, and some scattered residences to include the Fallini Ranch. It served as a central hub for nearby ranches such as Twin Springs 10 miles to the east and areas near Tybo to the north. All roads connecting the area prior to the late 1950's were unimproved dirt roads and mainly served to connect locals together. There was a school built here, a typical 1-room type that served about a dozen students at any given time. The population reached its peak somewhere around the 1960's after the completion of the highway system through there during which time, some more modern structures were built to include a swimming pool-style mineral bath (open to the public), a bar and cafe, a modern telephone system, and a trailer park, all built to serve truckers and weary travellers. Nuclear testing during the 1950's threatened the community and most fled to other locations after experiencing health problems (both people and livestock) associated with radioactive fallout.
: My grandfather was a blade operator working on 375 during the nuclear testing era and had been relocated from Tempiute (near Rachel) to Warm Springs in August of 1957 after being approached by officials from the Atomic Energy Commision. Their claim was that they had delayed a pending test 19 times because of unfavorable wind conditions that would cause the fallout to fall on their camp, so they were ordered to move. Unfortunately, once settled in Warm Springs, they were dumped on by a dangerous cloud of fallout as a result of shifting winds shortly after the detonation of the device.
: Remaining at Warm Springs these days are an impressive collection of junked-out autos dating back to the 50's; the trailer park complete with office and hook-ups; the Warm Springs Bar & Cafe with telephone; the mineral pool (one can still make out the words "free swimming" underneath the more recently painted "keep out" on the bath house); the circular stone corral; some wooden residences dating back to the early 20th century including one in very good condition; and the remains of a ranch house and water tower hidden in the trees just to the south.

Mitrak
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
We were just through Warm Springs, NV last week (6/07) and it is just as you described: crumbling rock wall circle about 50 ft. sq, shack with dirt floor and some type of wood frame inside, and abandoned tin (?) shacks off to side of the circular rock wall.

Albin
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
The first time I went through Warm Springs was 1986. I was on my way to Tonopah and almost out of gas. Warm Springs is where I learned that Nevada state maps LIE! when they say there is a "town" at a certain intersection. Other examples are Vya and Frenchman.

I made it the 50 miles to Tonopah sucking on fumes and coasting down hills.

I learned though, and the next trip to Nevada, I had a aux fuel tank for a total of 30 gallons of fuel plus a jerry can.

Now, when I'm ghost towning and camping in NV, I carry 45 gallons of gas.

I'm also surprised that no one's mentioned Faultless. Anyone here visited the site? It's about 25 miles north of Warm Springs.

Al

Albin
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Pics of Warms Springs from our trip this last summer and also at this link: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/index.htm

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-13-34-06_IMG_1436_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-09-47-08_IMG_1141_Albin.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-09-47-34_IMG_1143_Albin.JPG_s.jpg

GaryB
10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm also surprised that no one's mentioned Faultless. Anyone here visited the site? It's about 25 miles north of Warm Springs.

Al

Is that the place that has a small motel and restaurant? I came back through Railroad Valley from Ely to Vegas last summer. I also know a guy that is part owner of one of the oil fields in the northern part of RRV.

Albin
10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Is that the place that has a small motel and restaurant? I came back through Railroad Valley from Ely to Vegas last summer. I also know a guy that is part owner of one of the oil fields in the northern part of RRV.

If you're referring to Faultless, no. Faultless is the site of a 200-1000 KT nuclear weapons test conducted in 1968. It's on BLM land and you can drive right up to ground zero:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-10-33-14_IMG_1330_Al.JPG_s.jpg

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/2008_Summer_Desert_Trip/Al_08_16/07-28-08-10-33-34_IMG_1331_Al.JPG_s.jpg

GaryB
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that name now. I'll have to look into it again, I'll be in Belmont this weekend as it is.

BTW, the place I was thinking of was Lockes.

Albin
11-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that name now. I'll have to look into it again, I'll be in Belmont this weekend as it is.

BTW, the place I was thinking of was Lockes.

Yea, we forked up not going to Lockes this trip. In 2000, the guy who owned the the little store was named Al Stratford (IRC). He a neat little book on Railroad Valley (or Hot Creek Valley) I wish I had bought.

When we met him in 2000, he told us about his experience in drilling the Faultless sites (there were three holes drilled, only one used) and the holes for the Cannikin shot in Alaska (what the Faultless site was supposed to be used for). Pretty decent guy.

Al