Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Drifter View Post
    actually I met a few Russian women in my line of work.

Not running your get rich quick coyote business again are you?

Smile Living in a 1800's town is possible

We never did hear back from tracy ...reality more than likely set in unless she was a multi millionaire and even then the task of town building has ruined many . It really is possible though to live in a 1800's town . There are historical parks with volunteer possibillities all over the world . It takes commitment and very likely one will have to have enough savings to cover the entire time and the 6 months after your volunteer position expires . Often you must reserve your spot a few years in advance and be flexible .

One really neat Ghost town in perfect shape I know of is Fayetteville Michigan . Sadly the park service has cut back on funding there . IT is one of the best perserved late 1800 ghost towns in existance in the United States . It was smelting operation in the Iron Ore industry that succumbed to financial pressures . It only stayed preserved as it was re-invented as a resort which failed in the depression . Due to its seclusion and Weather it withstood time until being taken over by the State . Anyone in the midwest should make the trip . Especially this time of year . Labor day weekend is the Mackinaw Island Bridge Walk . What a wonderful trip to do these two things at once . Camping in Northern Michigan this time of year is absolutely wonderful but it can get town to freezing some years even in August . It is possible to live in a ghost town . I know one year I thought I was fed up with the human race . I went on the Appalachain trail starting at Clingmans Dome and walking south to the end . I did not see a soul for days at a time . I felt true loniliness for the first time seeing all these wonderful things with nobody to share or discuss them with . It was very insiteful . I hope this thread stays going on topic wich is would you like to live in a 1800's town .

What I would like to know is why ? For everyone of us that means something different . To me it means a apothocary or store with naturepathic medicines like I saw in Williamsburg the colonial project of the Rockerfeller family and a simple salloon I could run profitabley and grow while sharing good times with people whose dream was in other pieces or componants of that town .
    However the bottom line is you can do this . Volunteer and if your smart you can even get a small stipend and educational grant for schooling afterwards or run them concurent spending the summers as a volunteer and in school winters .

There is another Goverment agency similar to the Peace corps that often you can qualify for the educational money if you do the time in certain positions . If I remember the name I will place it back ...I think it is called the America Corps but I am not sure . Due to my health I wont be around here long . I hope this helps someone reach their dream .

actually I would'nt mind owning some out of the way land where I could build a "Keystone" ghost town. it would be kinda cool to educate the tourist on the way of life in those days. entertain the children, maybe make a few dollars selling food, lodging and souveniers and such. maybe an adjacent campground etc.. and even a slurpee machine!

Oh, and after all the women tourists are asleep, the men tourists can sneak out to my 1800's tavern tittie bar. We can show them some serious 1800's utters! and how it was done in the old days.

actually all kidding aside. It would be cool.

Nick, I owe you an appology. we / I thought you were a spammer. you have some cool Ideas. at first it sounded like a bogus plan david korish style, but your all right! don't pay to much attention to our kidding. maybe we do it because we don't have the freedom to do what your doing. Most of us are stuck paying our car payments and working to pay our debts.

In my opinion Russian chicks would do good in Alaska. just like that Smirnoff comercial.
    Last edited by High Desert Drifter; 08-20-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Yeah Nick, I apologize as well, for thinking you were a spammer. It sounds like you've been down a rough road. Like you, I was sick for quite a few years, and places like this made me remember what it was like to be healthy, and do the things that I love. It kept the fire burning, so to speak.

All that I can tell you is don't let your dreams fade. It sounds cliched, but it's true. I saw a lot of people around me lose focus and give in to despair, and those results weren't good.

Stick in here with us Nick, exploring season is coming up, so there will be more trips posted. Hey, if nothing else, it's cheap entertainment here!

Actually, they have a place where you can live like the old-timers did: Silver Dollar City, Branson, Mo.

Goat

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Stick in here with us Nick, exploring season is coming up, so there will be more trips posted. Hey, if nothing else, it's cheap entertainment here!
    Goat
    heh heh cheap entertainment...I haven't been called that in 35 years
    Goat's right Nick, stick with us, we'll either get better, or deteriorate into mindless banter...it's a win win situation!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hey Nick, I hope you didn't take my unusual humor wrong. I like attractive women no matter where they are from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OMG,is that an udder or what? LOL!

Goat

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    OMG,is that an udder or what? LOL!

Goat
    Thank you Goat...
    At first I thought it was an utter, but I see it's actually a goiter.

Very Interested. Pls contact.

Has this thread gone anywhere else, is the town being built at all or is just an idea still? I think living in an 1800's style town would be awesome. It would take a lot of energy and monetary resources to make such a thing happen but it's definitely possible.

I'm just not too sure how you turn a chunk of private land into a US government recognized town. It was easy in the 19th century to make a town, but in the 21st it might be a little more challenging.

Hope the idea is still possible.

Thread Information