Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The Amish I've seen (in my opinion) have a sustainable economy because of the products and services they provide to the modern community. When you drive through Amish country you see restaurant after restaurant, store after store, owned and operated by the Amish. Without the craving for good ol' Amish cooking, handmade furniture, produce and quilts by us "moderns," I doubt that their present day lifestyle would be nearly as sustainable.

Default Amish

There is probably more to be learned from the Amish than we know.

I can only guess (Please excuse the ignorance) but after seeing a couple of websites selling expensive quilts and furniture, that these people are capable of (in theory at least) a high earning potential. They would have to buy matierials for these industries from other sources, hinting at an economy that is more sophisticated than it would appear or claim to be (but I don't really know).

Anyway, I'm sure its as close to the 1800's as is practical under present day circumstances. And they obviously have come as close to being satisfied with it, (or in general) as anyone could.

Satisfaction... an interesting , alien concept to me, as an American. Lack of satisfaction causes innovation, perhaps technical advance. This leads to unsustinable ecological destruction if pursued to its logical conclusion on a large scale (Unless I've missed the point of recent history).

Gasp. Is this what Ghosttowns.com is here for? The secret message behind it all? That civilization is headed toward...

That we should begin documenting its progress, while its still functioning, so we can capture this living history in the making.

Then we might see what Robert Crumb imagined when he did "A history of America"

http://www.zubeworld.com/crumbmuseum/history2.html

and the epilogue

http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Rash/misc/historye.htm

I would not want to belong to any club or origination that would have someone like me as a member!

Default Living In The 1800's

My wife is acertified respitory therapist and am am a general contractor with a degree in construction management and also I have a BS in elementary education. We are very interested in your town and lliving, working and maintaining a home in the 1800's.

we want to live there.

Default eager to move

We would be eager to join you in your new town.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Tracy

I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Thumbs up Please Reply

Are you still thinking of buying a Ghost Town?

Originally posted by Tracy

I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Default Need more informaton...

Hi there!

I see this thread was posted a while back, but it looks like a lot of people are interested in this... I am as well.. I was wondering if you have completed the building of this town..or f you have ever even started. I am sure that a lot of us believe that we were born n the wrong century. I have thought about doing something like you are doing...unfortunately I don't have the financial backing to make this happen. Please write back and let me know what is going on with your project.

Disa

do we have to find jobs in this town.i would love to live in the town if i could live off the land.

Originally posted by john lorenzo

In Reply to: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN? posted by Tracy on January 23, 19100 at 11:50:22:

: I posted a message in November, however, I have decided to not look for a ghost town to purchase, but instead have decided to build my own town. This town will be a replica of a late 1800's town and will be totally self-sufficient. However, residents will be screened and selection will be based on character, values, and habits. If you are interested, contact me for more information.
    Please send me as much information as you can concerning living in an 1800's town. I think it would be fabulous.

Thread Information