Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A LATE 1800'S TOWN?

Thumbs up

Here is an old town that looks late 1800s that can actually be lived in and where it is possible to earn a living ( Yucca Valley is just 4 miles away where a job could be had ). Moving up there from my current location in Desperate Hot Springs is something that I'm considering. Behind the rustic "old buildings" ( actually a little bit old as they were built back in the days of making "B" movies there ) there are folks living there. Anyhow a place worth visiting if in the area. Located 4 miles west of Yucca Valley off of hyway 62 which runs from down Palm Springs way up to and thru 29 Palms. Google it for a map. Pioneer Town.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 08-01-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    - Wolfgang -

Default ?

Hey Wolfgang what is the name of the GT you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Hey Wolfgang what is the name of the GT you're talking about?
    It is right there in the foreground of the first picture. "Pioneer Town" . Was build by Roy Rodgers and others as a replica of an 1800s town for making movies . . . . ghosted and was pretty much abandoned for quite a while . . has been "resurected" for reenactment use and there are people living there as well.
    - Wolfgang -

Thanks I think it would be so cool to just travel all year round to all the western GTs and meet all the members of GT.com, rather than live in one place. Oh yea does anyone realize this thread has gone for ten years now?

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Thanks I think it would be so cool to just travel all year round to all the western GTs and meet all the members of GT.com, rather than live in one place. Oh yea does anyone realize this thread has gone for ten years now?
    One stop to make then would be to Ari-Zona. Definately need to meet up with Joe. One h*** of guy to hang with when ghost towning...and if he gets too out of hand...just cook him up some spam and give him a beer!

Pioneertown was built in 1946 as a movie set for western movies, including the movies of Gene Autry, The Cisco Kid, with Duncan Renaldo, Annie Oakley with Gail Davis, Judge Roy Bean with Edgar Buchanan, Range Rider with Jock O. Mahoney, and Buffalo Bill Jr. with **** Jones. The movie set was to provide a place for the actors to live, and have their homes used as part of a movie set. Some of the original investors in the town were Sons of the Pioneers, which the town was named after, **** Curtis who was a professional villian in old movies, Bud Abbott, Russell Hayden, who played Lucky on the Hopalong Cassidy series, Louella Parsons the Hollywood gossip columnist and Philip N. Krasne: "The Man Who Saved Pioneertown".
    - Wolfgang -

Thanks for the advice Darin, Does anyone belong to GT.com live in Reno,NV. I want to go and get my truck dirty. I got invited to join Clampers?, What Do my fellow GTers think?

Wow this sounds awesome. I've always felt that I should have been born in a different time. I think I'm interested.

I think this an amazing idea. Keep us informed on the progress.

I am interested in where you will build , if it will be run old fashioned and will there be homeschooling ,well water,wind or solar power,ect. Also know that we are persistant ,hard working, faithful people.However poor.Would gladly help work in town to make town work.Unfortunatly cannot invest at this time,sorry.Please let us know , really want to return to a hard working but simpler way of life.Have family of 10,mostly young adult.

Thread Information