Thread: Utah

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Utah

Originally posted by Tom Budington

: My wife & I live by Peekskill NY, going to Utah for 10 days to do some ghost towning. Would like directions to Coal City & Sego, both are in grid 6 of the Utah map but no directions.

: Thanks Tom

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Utah

Originally posted by bad bob

: : My wife & I live by Peekskill NY, going to Utah for 10 days to do some ghost towning. Would like directions to Coal City & Sego, both are in grid 6 of the Utah map but no directions.

: : Thanks Tom

: Don't have Coal City now, but Sego is little over 8 miles north of Thompson. Take gravel exiting

: north, 4.8 miles past badly marred pictographs.

: Road good in dry weather, crossing usually dry creek several times on old railroad trestles. If

: that is still the case, check for wood rot before crossing, in any case stay on parallel planks.

: Courtesy "Guide to Western GT s" by Florin.

: bb.

Originally posted by Tom Budington

: Thanks Bad Bob, you good! Tom

Originally posted by alan gorton

: : My wife & I live by Peekskill NY, going to Utah for 10 days to do some ghost towning. Would like directions to Coal City & Sego, both are in grid 6 of the Utah map but no directions.

: : Thanks Tom

Originally posted by alan gorton

: coal city is about 9 miles west off highway 6-50 sbout 2 miles south of Helper

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default coal city

Wasn't this place totally destroyed/leveled and locked away?

Default Coal City and Sego

Coal City is currantly active. the remnants that were around in the early ninties have been since leveled. The road to the city is gated with no way around as the canyon is rather steep.
    Sego is a nice jaunt, just barely west on 1-70 of the Moab turn off. (I think exit 212?) THere is a barely functioning little town on the way up the canyon, there is also a turn off to a cemetary before you head up the canyon, this should not be missed, its on the edge of a mesa overlooking the town. Follow the road up SEGO canyon... There is NOT, any railroad trestles to cross, nor has there been for quite some time. The floods of 80-81(or so) wiped out all the trestles. You will see the remnants as you head up the canyon. As you come into Sego. look up the canyon directly east of the brothel, there is a large stone building, follow the ridge up the east side of the canyon and keep an eye on the trees below, at the right height you can see a cabin roof in the trees near the back(south east end) of the canyon. Mark it, and hike to it. The cabin is in great shape and in the floor is access to a nice mine, its not a coal mine, I actually have no idea what was mined out of it, but bring a rope for some of the drop offs. Also, head strait up the river bed when you are done in Sego. As you get into some of the rougher terrain you will be able to spot indian writings and graineries in the high canyon walls. Good luck!!
    Corey Shuman
    aka one_bad_rover or Blke36bimmer
    cshuman@goldrushexpeditions.com
    www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Thread Information