Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hike to Beveridge ghost camp this Fall

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Hike to Beveridge ghost camp this Fall

Originally posted by Rob

: We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: Rob

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Hike to Beveridge ghost camp this Fall

Originally posted by Alan gorton

: I would love to know a little more about the hike...... how long do you plan to spend at the site?? where abouts in California northern or Central...............What month are you going....... how many buildings still stand

Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: : Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: : Rob

: Hi All,

: Owens Valley in Sept. is hotter than ****!,

: Actually right now is the best time because it is still cool and snow is melting and the springs are flowing (the birds are singing....), but we are not prepared for it.

: I am currently researching other routes into Beveridge, And I have heard first hand that the route Guy Starbuck took is the most dificult.

: You won't beleve this but I heard it from a 77 year old (young) man who hikes there every year!, and is now preparing to go again.

: Lewis

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

Originally posted by Rob

: That sounds like a plan. Lewis is also researching alternate ways in. Now, if we only has access to a helicopter......

: Rob

: : Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: : : Cat, Lewis Bill, and I have all mentioned an interest.

: : : Rob

Originally posted by Gerald Thomas

: : Mike, at Cerro Gordo, was telling me about an alternate way to Beveridge but it would involve a nervewracking (for me anyway) drive along a mountainside and then a hike DOWN into Beveridge. From what I understand, this is the easiest way in. I would bet the best time to hike this fall would be in mid October (before it snows). My friend Jami and I are in for sure!

: : : We are trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in an overnight hike/backpack trip to the legendary ghost camp of Beveridge,Ca this Fall. It is supposed to be a grueling hike but the remoteness has left the camp well preserved. Furniture and dishes are said to still be laying around.

: Yes there is dishes and other artifacts laying around of which I claimed ownership of five years ago when I filed my mining claim.Please leave all artifacts as found !!!!! I will more than likely be at my claim the week that you mention doing my assment work for the year.Anyone removing any object what so ever will be a criminal act and I shall deal with in my own matter if the situation calls for it !!! Once again PLEASE leave things as you find them for others to enjoy !! Thank you

Originally posted by Richard Elliott

:

: Hi Rob, Cat & Ripley, et al,

: I am interested in an early Oct. hike to Beveridge. I've tried twice to reach it from Frecnhman's Spring, each time turning back in the large canyon below Keynot Pk. It is a rugged hike. I am slower now that I am 50. I believe it would take 2-days to get there by foot.

: Not owning a 4WD, each time I drove my car as far as I dared on the dirt road from Lone Pine area, having to camp about a mile or so from the mouth of the canyon leading into Frenchmans Spring.

: Keep in touch all, for I'd like to go.

Originally posted by Pete Crocitto

: : Hi All,

: : Owens Valley in Sept. is hotter than ****!,

: : Actually right now is the best time because it is still cool and snow is melting and the springs are flowing (the birds are singing....), but we are not prepared for it.

: : I am currently researching other routes into Beveridge, And I have heard first hand that the route Guy Starbuck took is the most dificult.

: : You won't beleve this but I heard it from a 77 year old (young) man who hikes there every year!, and is now preparing to go again.

: : Lewis

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Question What is left of this site???

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com
    Originally posted by Alan gorton

: I would love to know a little more about the hike...... how long do you plan to spend at the site?? where abouts in California northern or Central...............What month are you going....... how many buildings still stand
    In the early 1980 i meet a old guy that said he finally after several years of searching he found a way to get to Bevenridge from the east on Saline Valley, side and almost lost his chance to make it to the top because of tough time he had finding the trail but when he got to the site, he said he found a small steam engine and other interesting stuff. But for some reason, the story he was telling me about the steam engine did not resonable. Has anyone heard about a steam engine at this site ???

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-20-2006 at 06:17 AM.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Question Information

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    In the early 1980 i meet a old guy that said he finally after several years of searching he found a way to get to Bevenridge from the east on Saline Valley, side and almost lost his chance to make it to the top because of tough time he had finding the trail but when he got to the site, he said he found a small steam engine and other interesting stuff. But for some reason, the story he was telling me about the steam engine did not resonable. Has anyone heard about a steam engine at this site ???

Anyone come up with any new Information on my posting?

Johnnie & Sheila
    Anyone come up with any "new" information on my posting from yesterday?

Johnnie

Thread Information