Thread: Beveridge ghost camp

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Beveridge ghost camp

Originally posted by Rob Newquist

: Has anyone made the long hike to the ghost town of Beveridge, California? It is high in the Inyo mountains above Cerro Gordo, and is supposed to be so remote that furniture and dishes etc. are still lying around. I found a guy on the internet who has made the hike. It is apparently an all day hike, but the remoteness has preserved it well,making it worth the trip.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Beveridge ghost camp

Originally posted by Richard Elliott

:
    : : Has anyone made the long hike to the ghost town of Beveridge, California? It is high in the Inyo mountains above Cerro Gordo, and is supposed to be so remote that furniture and dishes etc. are still lying around. I found a guy on the internet who has made the hike. It is apparently an all day hike, but the remoteness has preserved it well,making it worth the trip.

:
    : Rob, I've tried twice to reach Beveridge. Long hard hike and no water along the way, except at the beginning at French Spring, on the western approach from the Lone Pine side. Each time I could only reach the large, long canyon bowl below Keynot PK. I have heard that a salvage co. was allowed to fly in by helicopter and remove much of the furniture, piano, etc. I really hope that is not true, for I am planning on trying again next year to get to Beveridge. I've been told it is a five-mile hike up from French Spring (see Topo map of area).

Originally posted by Terry Shaw

: I first read about Beveridge in Desert Magazine 15 or so years ago. It was also mentioned in a small book on ghost towns of the eastern Sierra. I don't have the name handy but can get it if interested. I had always hoped to make the hike but never quite found the time. It would be a shame if everything was carted off as Richard said. It still makes me drool to think about coming across a pristine ghosttown like that!

Originally posted by Martin Beveridge

: WELL CHUFFED TO KNOW, IVE GOT A GHOST TOWN NAMED AFTER ME.

Originally posted by John

: :

: : : Has anyone made the long hike to the ghost town of Beveridge, California? It is high in the Inyo mountains above Cerro Gordo, and is supposed to be so remote that furniture and dishes etc. are still lying around. I found a guy on the internet who has made the hike. It is apparently an all day hike, but the remoteness has preserved it well,making it worth the trip.

: :

: : Rob, I've tried twice to reach Beveridge. Long hard hike and no water along the way, except at the beginning at French Spring, on the western approach from the Lone Pine side. Each time I could only reach the large, long canyon bowl below Keynot PK. I have heard that a salvage co. was allowed to fly in by helicopter and remove much of the furniture, piano, etc. I really hope that is not true, for I am planning on trying again next year to get to Beveridge. I've been told it is a five-mile hike up from French Spring (see Topo map of area).

: I went to Beveridge in 1972, and have the photos to prove it. I is (was) everything that they said that it was (is?). Just west of town there was a miner's cabin with the old stretched-glass windows, with the long bubbles in it. Tools etc. all around. We slept in the cabin in beds yet! (No mattresses.) The town had a ski-lift-type of lift that went way, way up to a distant mountain to take out ore. The cables and some buckets were still there, but the cables disappeared from view because of the distance involved. The bull wheel and drive apparatus was still there, too, as was a ?stamp mill, mess hall, and a three-holer that we actually used. Dunno how much is left almost 30 years later...

Thread Information