Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodie, CA - 1929 - As seen in Movie

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Bodie, CA - 1929 - As seen in Movie

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I saw last weekend the 1929 film "****'S HEROES," based upon the often remade "THE THREE GODFATHERS." The story centers around three desperadoes who come to a town, rob a bank, then run off to hide in the desert. There they find a dying woman, and then save her baby. The John Wayne version was probably the most remembered of the remakes.

: In this 1929 film, there is a total of about 20 minutes of footage shot in Bodie, CA. At the time of filming, it was yet 3 years until the infamous fire of August 1932, which decimated most of the downtown business district. Bodie at this time was still a living community, though greatly reduced from its glory days of 1978-82. But a number of businesses were still open and serving the public, the post office still issued mail, the Standard Mine was still employing a crew of men to extract precious metals.

: The movie makers did little to cover up Bodie's appearance. There is an obvious false front of mock adobe given to a structure next to the U.S. Hotel and called a "Cantina." Otherwise many landmarks of Bodie's pre-1932 fire days are visible. The icing on the cake is the robbing of the Cain Bank. Scenes inside and outside the bank give the viewer a real thrill of living vicariously before his/her own time. The very door of the Cain Bank vault is plainly visible when one of the bandits force the clerk at gunpoint to get in and shut the heavy door. Cain's vault today is a small brick enclosure set in a grassy setting on the northern end of Main Street. Another sweet morsel is several shots of the horse drawn hearse, now displayed in the museum. It is shown racing up the street to collect the body of a dying desperado who was shot during the holdup. A wonderful time with and without the remote pause button is assured for any Bodie buff. Several overall town shots are included.

: There are two scenes which show the Bodie Methodist Church plainly, but the background is all wrong. It also appears to be a painted backdrop.

: There are databases on the Web that might help the viewer to find a copy of the movie, or keep an eye on the cable movie channels.

: David A. Wright

: GREAT BASIN RESEARCH

: Big Pine, CA.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Bodie, CA - 1929 - As seen in Movie - CORRECTION

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I mistyped the dates of Bodie's glory years. It should read 1878-82, not 1978-82. Sorry if I mislead any folks new to Bodie's history.

Default Re: Bodie, CA - 1929 - As seen in Movie

Originally posted by William Miller

: : I saw last weekend the 1929 film "****'S HEROES," based upon the often remade "THE THREE GODFATHERS." The story centers around three desperadoes who come to a town, rob a bank, then run off to hide in the desert. There they find a dying woman, and then save her baby. The John Wayne version was probably the most remembered of the remakes.

: : In this 1929 film, there is a total of about 20 minutes of footage shot in Bodie, CA. At the time of filming, it was yet 3 years until the infamous fire of August 1932, which decimated most of the downtown business district. Bodie at this time was still a living community, though greatly reduced from its glory days of 1978-82. But a number of businesses were still open and serving the public, the post office still issued mail, the Standard Mine was still employing a crew of men to extract precious metals.

: : The movie makers did little to cover up Bodie's appearance. There is an obvious false front of mock adobe given to a structure next to the U.S. Hotel and called a "Cantina." Otherwise many landmarks of Bodie's pre-1932 fire days are visible. The icing on the cake is the robbing of the Cain Bank. Scenes inside and outside the bank give the viewer a real thrill of living vicariously before his/her own time. The very door of the Cain Bank vault is plainly visible when one of the bandits force the clerk at gunpoint to get in and shut the heavy door. Cain's vault today is a small brick enclosure set in a grassy setting on the northern end of Main Street. Another sweet morsel is several shots of the horse drawn hearse, now displayed in the museum. It is shown racing up the street to collect the body of a dying desperado who was shot during the holdup. A wonderful time with and without the remote pause button is assured for any Bodie buff. Several overall town shots are included.

: : There are two scenes which show the Bodie Methodist Church plainly, but the background is all wrong. It also appears to be a painted backdrop.

: : There are databases on the Web that might help the viewer to find a copy of the movie, or keep an eye on the cable movie channels.

: : David A. Wright

: : GREAT BASIN RESEARCH

: : Big Pine, CA.

Default Re: Bodie, CA - 1929 - As seen in Movie

: : I saw last weekend the 1929 film "****'S HEROES," based upon the often remade "THE THREE GODFATHERS." The story centers around three desperadoes who come to a town, rob a bank, then run off to hide in the desert. There they find a dying woman, and then save her baby. The John Wayne version was probably the most remembered of the remakes.

: : In this 1929 film, there is a total of about 20 minutes of footage shot in Bodie, CA. At the time of filming, it was yet 3 years until the infamous fire of August 1932, which decimated most of the downtown business district. Bodie at this time was still a living community, though greatly reduced from its glory days of 1978-82. But a number of businesses were still open and serving the public, the post office still issued mail, the Standard Mine was still employing a crew of men to extract precious metals.

: : The movie makers did little to cover up Bodie's appearance. There is an obvious false front of mock adobe given to a structure next to the U.S. Hotel and called a "Cantina." Otherwise many landmarks of Bodie's pre-1932 fire days are visible. The icing on the cake is the robbing of the Cain Bank. Scenes inside and outside the bank give the viewer a real thrill of living vicariously before his/her own time. The very door of the Cain Bank vault is plainly visible when one of the bandits force the clerk at gunpoint to get in and shut the heavy door. Cain's vault today is a small brick enclosure set in a grassy setting on the northern end of Main Street. Another sweet morsel is several shots of the horse drawn hearse, now displayed in the museum. It is shown racing up the street to collect the body of a dying desperado who was shot during the holdup. A wonderful time with and without the remote pause button is assured for any Bodie buff. Several overall town shots are included.

: : There are two scenes which show the Bodie Methodist Church plainly, but the background is all wrong. It also appears to be a painted backdrop.

: : There are databases on the Web that might help the viewer to find a copy of the movie, or keep an eye on the cable movie channels.

: "Hells Heroes" is not available on commercial video. Film was taped from Turner Classic Movies channel (TCM). Watch your tv listings for a replay. Good website for information on this and other films is www.imdb.com

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Post Orig. film footage of Bodie California

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post

Thanks David, That movie you speak of is one of the best and as you said does have alot of orig. film footage of Bodie main street and panaramic view of the whole town in one shot.

Many of the people in the movie were full time residents of Bodie, when they appeared in that great old classic film.

just happened to catch that film on cable a few years ago and coppied it for future viewing.

i have seen a few years ago a old travel log film, of orig. film footage of Bodie, takining in the 1920s and in shot it is showing Mr. Caine the owner of Bodie coming out of the Bodie Bank before it burnt down years later.

Anyone wanting to watch that great old classic can request it from local Block Buster movie store.

Happy Trails
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 06-20-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Johnnie and Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    just happened to catch that film on cable a few years ago and coppied it for future viewing. Happy Trails
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Johnnie - there is no chance of me getting a hold of a copy here in Australia.
    If you still have a copy, would you consider making one for me and sending it over?
    I will happily cover any costs to you.
    If this is not too difficult an ask, maybe you could "pm" me and we can work out the details?
    I'm a huge John Wayne fan and the chance to see Bodie "starring" is too good to pass up.

G'day folks - a bit of a lengthy post with Bodie front and centre.

I just downloaded a GoogleEarth update and was surprised by one of their new features, "fly-in" photos, an improvement on the "panorama" style of photography they've previously hosted.
    Since I started frequenting gt.com I have become totally captivated by many of America's former boom-towns and none more so than Bodie. GE has a wonderful "fly-in" of Bodie posted, which I am sure will delight everyone.

From "our" homepage and the interactive map, I'd gained a fairly good idea of the town, it's lay-out, present state and history - enough to fall in love with it - but somehow the sheer size of it had never been fully conveyed. I had no idea it was so extensive and had so many buildings.
    So, having been "enlightened" further, I have been off on a Bodie kick and, as usual, I have a few questions/requests.

Hoping to find actual accounts of Bodie residents, I started googling and came to this site:
    http://www.bodiehistory.com/index.htm.
    Actually, the initial googling took me to a link within, http://www.bodiehistory.com/myths.htm, which has given rise to some questions.
    The author debunks a myth concerning "601". Of course, I hadn't heard of this previously and even though the author, Michael Piatt, kills the myth off very well, I am intrigued by how such "urban myths" start and gain currency.
    So, I was wondering if anyone out there has come across literature, about Bodie or any other town, where any 601-style myth is written about?

Piatt mentions that W.S Body/Bodey came from Tuolumne County, NY. How is that pronounced???? (Two - oh - loom - knee?)

"The sudden appearance of “six feet under—no trial—one rope” belies the fact that it is not mentioned in any books or articles by former Bodie residents Grant Smith, Ella Cain, Emil Billeb, Frank Wedertz, or Warren Loose—strong evidence that it was never a local tradition."
    Although this passage was also about the "601" myth, I had my interest spiked by mention of books by actual residents - Grant Smith, Ella Cain, Emil Billeb, Frank Wedertz, Warren Loose.
    So far, googling for articles under these names has drawn a blank. I would dearly love to get a hold of any of these first hand accounts, if anyone could point me to them.

This next bit strikes even me as possibly very presumptuous on my part. I don't mean to offend.
    http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/april04.html has what appears to be a recent article from "The Friends of Bodie", which ends with this,

"Today Bodie faces another hurdle in the form of severely decreased funding due to California ’s budgetary crisis. Much of the stabilization efforts have been curbed if not halted. Unfortunately, several buildings are still in critical condition and may possibly collapse in the near future.
    One such structure is the Wheaton-Hollis Hotel on the corner of Main and Green Streets. It contains numerous historic objects such as the billiard table that sits in plain view through the large glass doors at the front of the building. Other things include the hotel furniture, a large kitchen filled with implements, the assayer’s office complete with kiln, bottles and scales, a safe and telephone switchboard which are also prominently visible. Attached to the hotel is the brick power plant holding the huge Roseklip Mine generators and transformers. The collapse of this place would mean the ruin of one of Bodie’s most recognizable edifices.
    Efforts are underway to raise funding for work to avert this disaster. At present the outcome is yet to be determined."

Reading some posts here, particularly LauraA's on preservation or the lack thereof, gives that last sentence real pertinence. Now, I don't know how many of you are already involved in "Friends of Bodie" or similar but I would assume quite a few of you are.... and I'm a newcomer and an outsider..... but it occured to me that gt.com could collect funds to contribute.
    Like I said, I don't want to offend anyone with an upstart suggestion, but I don't know what goes on in this regard and I'd really like to be part of preserving Bodie. I thought it might be a good achievement for "us", something to contribute.
    Anyway, could I put the suggestion out there; that we start a contributing fund for Bodie preservation? I know it's a bit of admin work for GaryB and others, but having a donation button on websites is quite common these days.
    I'd kick the can immediately with $100 - thanks to the gee-gee's once again!

Lastly, this came up while googling on Bodie. I thought it might give ya'll a laugh!
    http://www.wiseman-burke.com/arch76.htm - Only part 1! Where's 2 and 3!?

Gravelrash.........I think some body made a mistake about Waterman/William S. Bodey/Bodie's original place of origin as being from Tuolumne County, N.Y. The proper pronunciation of Tuolumne is "Too all umm me", which is where I lived for a few years during my life. I've politely argued about the authenticity of the "601 Committee" with Michael Piatt, which he has debunked so vehemently, but he's failed to come up with a real alternative for the origin of the name. Who's too say what was the written truth at that time. One theory holds as much water as the next, I believe.Anyway, it makes for good fodder, and I enjoy reading just about anything about the town of Bodie, and also nearby Aurora, Nv. I'm also not a huge fan of the state of California taking over anything, but in this case, I believe making it a state park saved the town of Bodie. If the state hadn't taken over Bodie, I'm sure it would have suffered the same fate as Aurora.........

Mr Flat - good to hear from you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
    The proper pronunciation of Tuolumne is "Too all umm me",
    Thanks - it was a mouthful that was severely messing with my head! We have some real dandies here too but I really enjoy the color of American place names.
    I'll see your "Tuolumne" and raise you one "Quellgebiet"!

I've politely argued about the authenticity of the "601 Committee" with Michael Piatt, which he has debunked so vehemently, but he's failed to come up with a real alternative for the origin of the name. Who's too say what was the written truth at that time. One theory holds as much water as the next, I believe.
    You've taken me back 40 years! I can hear my Dad arguing with other amatuer historians. I noticed on the Cal history webpage, one of the contributors was a tad....testy! Get's people fired up, this history stuff, don't it!

Anyway, it makes for good fodder, and I enjoy reading just about anything about the town of Bodie, and also nearby Aurora, Nv. I'm also not a huge fan of the state of California taking over anything, but in this case, I believe making it a state park saved the town of Bodie. If the state hadn't taken over Bodie, I'm sure it would have suffered the same fate as Aurora.........
    Mr Iron - I'm like a pig in mud with all this stuff. BadBob sent me some links recently and now, having discovered that California history site, I'm off and running. It's weird, emersing yourself in another country's history but I feel, given the effect of American culture on Australia all through my life, that I'm entering a cave I explored years ago with a candle but, this time, armed with a searchlight. There's something very familar but also....shrouded...about it all. Many mysteries await.
    Yep.... a tasty morsel has been thrown in front of me!
    I'm also enjoying this site, as there are some very knowledgeable people here.

(Well, it keeps me off the streets!)

Bodie is a revelation. Quite seriously, I think it should be on a World heritage listing, not just a California park register. It's a priceless gem. You have to feel 50/50 about it's present fate. It would be wonderful to have it an "unknown" to all but the afficionados, but it's fame should secure it's future.
    It's going to be one of the great hightlights of my trip, that's for sure.

I have followed a few links, on the "601" theme and they were.... illuminating

Puts the "wild" into wild west, that's for sure. I can hardly imagine what life back then was like, in the American context, but I'm a huge fan of lynching, given the numbers of people I see these days, getting away with murder!

You Americans freed yourselves of the British grip a year or so before we were founded and although you had a large, established population, both countries entered the 19th century together, new. We have taken such radically different paths.
    You were free and the 'wild west' seems to me to be the ultimate expression of freedom. We were in chains, and that oppressive hand formed us. Very different, but still very similar peoples.

If you've the time, I'd really appreciate any links you might send over the pond!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    ... I had my interest spiked by mention of books by actual residents - Grant Smith, Ella Cain, Emil Billeb, Frank Wedertz, Warren Loose.
    So far, googling for articles under these names has drawn a blank. I would dearly love to get a hold of any of these first hand accounts, if anyone could point me to them.
    Try http://www.abebooks.com/

You can search by author, book title and other parameters. This website is probably the best all around book finder on the Net, as it acesses books available from book sellers all over North America. I've never been stumped by even the most obscure book I've been interested in finding. Someone had a copy of it.

Actually, I have all those books you refer to and I'm planning a yard sale ...
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Thread Information